Re: To A Helpful Herald

  • Sara U
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18, 2006
      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Wren" <lioness728@...> wrote:
      > An unmarried Welsh lady in her 40s.
      >
      > I like the name Gwynhaver (Guenevere), which I think means "white
      > shadow" and is the "parent" of "Jennifer". I also like the
      > name "Gwen". I would like, if possible, for the surname to be "Wren".

      Greetings!

      I just joined this list so I'm not sure if someone else has already
      pointed you to these links, but if not, there are a number of good
      articles on Welsh names in the Medieval Names Archive at
      www.s-gabriel.org/names/pceltic.shtml.

      <Gwen> or <Gwenhwyvar> is a good choice - both of these names can be
      found in the article "A Simple Guide to Constructing 16th Century
      Welsh Names (in English Contexts)" at
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/welsh16.html.

      <Wren> is an English surname, spelled <Wrenne> in 1275 and 1317 and
      <Wranne> in 1296 according to Reaney & Wilson's _Dictionary of English
      Surnames_, and as <Wrenn> in 1273 and 1630 according to Bardsley's
      _Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames_. Because of the
      significant contact between England and Wales in our period, it would
      not be surprising at all to find a Welsh woman named <Gwen> with an
      English surname such as <Wrenn>. (In fact, <Gwen> was such a popular
      Welsh name that it was adopted by the English; it's found in the
      16th-century spelled as <Guine> or <Gwine> in Gloucester, see "Naming
      Practices in 16th Century Gloucestershire" at
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/mari/GlocNamePractices/.

      So, <Gwen Wrenn> or <Gwenhwyvar Wrenn> would be a great later-period
      Welsh or English name.

      -Aryanhwy merch Catmael
      Albion Herald, Drachenwald