[SCA Newcomers] Re: Heraldic animals

  • clanyoungvp
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 19, 2006
      From "A GLOSSARY OF TERMS USED IN HERALDRY by JAMES PARKER FIRST
      PUBLISHED in 1894"
      http://www.heraldsnet.org/saitou/parker/index.htm
      - Hobbe

      "Wings, too, are very often attached to animals, &c., and though
      eagle's wings are generally intended, the dragon's wing is sometimes
      distinctly named; for the mode of drawing see under Cockatrice,
      Griffin, &c. In the Evangelistic symbols the Lion and Bull are
      represented with wings, as well as the Angel and the Eagle."

      "Evangelistic Symbols: These four symbols, which have their origin in
      the mystical interpretation of the first chapter of Ezekiel(ver. 10)
      compared with the fourth chapter of Revelation(ver. 6, 7), occur on
      at least one coat of arms.
      Azure, on a cross or between the symbols of the four evangelists
      of the last, five lions rampant gules, armed and langued azure--
      REYNOLDS, Bp. of Worc. 1309, afterwards Abp. of Cant. 1314-1327."

      http://www.heraldsnet.org/saitou/parker/images/m243c.gif

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Ah'reylia della Cava"
      <ladyahreylia@...> wrote:
      > I was wondering if you could point me in a direction on how to
      find some? I am specifically looking for a winged lion (not a saint
      mark's winged lion) laying down with his head up (Passant?) both
      right and left facing. I have some great art of winged lions but
      none is heraldic.