Re: [SCA Newcomers] HELP! Need to find Irish Overdress pictures with dates used

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2006
      In a message dated 4/11/2006 7:17:48 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<I have been looking for pictures, photos, drawings, whatever it takes
      to see clearly an irish overdress with the dates listed of the years
      used. I am basically a new kid on the block and need help finding this
      to verify whether or not a dress a friend is making me will fit in the
      time periods for SCA. It looks like a vest with a grommet and tied
      closure for the upper part, while the lower part is a split skirt.
      Apparently it is worn over a chemise or skirt and chemise combo. Any
      ideas on what years that was used and where I can get illustrations to
      verify it for the seneschal?>>

      First of all, there is no need to prove to the seneschal that your garb is
      accurate down to a certain time period. While the SCA requests that everyone
      attending an event wear "an attempt at clothing from before 1600", there are
      no garb police who are going to look at your documentation before allowing
      you to wear the clothing. Also notice the wording "an attempt". That's in the
      official rules for the SCA in exactly those terms. Which means as long as
      it looks reasonably close, it's fine.

      Secondly, you are going to have trouble documenting that particular style,
      because it isn't really all that close to any one historical style. It
      combines a couple of different things filtered through the Renaissance festival
      circuit; it's been pretty well proven, for example, that the "Irish chemise"
      with the sleeve gathered along the length and trim running down the gather is a
      Ren Faire invention. That said, that style is extremely popular in the SCA,
      both for newcomers and amongst some of the older members as well. I used to
      wear it myself. It looks reasonable for renaissance clothing, is relatively
      easy to make, and is comfortable to wear.

      If you would like to get a good idea of what real historical Irish and
      Scottish clothing looked like, there are two excellent websites you can check out.
      One is _www.medievalscotland.org_ (http://www.medievalscotland.org) ; the
      other is _www.reconstructinghistory.org_
      (http://www.reconstructinghistory.org) . The owner of the second has actually studied, hands-on, surviving Irish
      medieval clothing and reconstructed possible patterns for it; she even sells
      some patterns.

      Lancaster, PA