Re: [SCA Newcomers] Garb question

  • Sydney Walker Freedman
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 10 7:49 PM
      There are some who are attracted to the SCA and medieval studies partially
      because of the traditional gender roles. (Ahem, maybe not that many...)
      Sorry. I just really enjoy sitting at my loom and singing chansons de
      toile. Also, it's a good thing I don't fight; I don't need a sword. I'm
      scary enough as it is with a cane. :)

      Pax Christi,
      Cecilia

      > On Wednesday 15 March 2006 18:39, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
      > > Pretty
      > > much throughout the SCA period, at least in the Western  European
      > cultures I'm
      > > most familiar with, women had quite a few more career  avenues
      > available than
      > > choosing between being a wife and mother or a nun.
      >
      > In addition to what Brangwayna has said, I should also mention that in
      > the SCA
      > we create the *current middle ages*, not the *historical middle ages*. In
      > short terms, that means when it comes to things like gender roles, we do
      > "the
      > middle ages as we wish they had been." So I can (and do) sew and
      > cook, and
      > many women can (and do) fight and make armor and so on. It's great that
      > there
      > *are* historical precedents for things like this, as Brangwayna cites,
      > but also
      > it's great that in the SCA you can participate in any activity you wish
      > without
      > having to prove that your gender could have done so in period.
      >
      > Again, not to disagree with what Brangwayna said about the historical
      > facts,
      > just adding the SCA-specific spin as an extra bit of info. :-)
      >
      > Justin
      >
      > --
      > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      > justin@... PGP Public Key at http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

      Pax Christi,
      Sydney
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 10 8:35 PM
        On Monday 10 April 2006 22:49, Sydney Walker Freedman wrote:
        > There are some who are attracted to the SCA and medieval studies partially
        > because of the traditional gender roles.

        And that's okay, too. Just because you *can* cross traditional gender roles
        doesn't mean that you *must*. :-)

        keys fesswise reversed sable.