Re: [SCA Newcomers] Well, Hello

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 10, 2006
      On Sunday 09 April 2006 10:23, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
      > Not saying you are wrong or mistaken, but that goes totally contrary to
      > everything I have ever heard about holding official posts in my 15 years of
      > experience in the SCA.  And I've been a seneschal and been involved in a  number of
      > situations, some very recently, where one group was trying to get  another
      > one to give them a certain zip code or zip codes so that somebody who  lived in
      > one group could be an officer of another group; also a number of  situations
      > where people maintained a PO box in one zip code and listed that as  their
      > official address so they could be counted as a member of a group they  didn't
      > physically live in.

      The residency requirements vary from office to office and from kingdom to
      kingdom.

      Remember that some "offices" are actually not officially warranted by the
      SCA, Inc. For example, here in the Middle Kingdom, a lot of shires and
      baronies have an "officer" who keeps track of the group's demo gear and
      other equipment. This isn't (at least here in the MK) an actual warranted
      office, just an informal volunteer job that in effect is a deputy to the
      Seneschal. That being the case, there's no residency requirement to be
      Quartermaster because as far as the Kingdom is concerned it's not a real
      office.

      In the Middle Kingdom, the general policy for residency is that an officer
      has to live within the lands of the group where they wish to serve, unless
      they get a waiver from their Kingdom superior. But I think this varies from
      kingdom to kingdom -- some may be stricter than we are, some less strict.

      I took a look at the SCA Governing Documents (November 2005 edition), and I
      didn't see anything specifically about residency there, other than that any
      warranted officer must live at a residence that receives their Kingdom
      newsletter. I think the stricter requirements must be kingdom-specific.
      The Gov Docs do a lot of delegating of authority to the kingdoms for
      establishment of local offices.

      Kind regards,

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 10, 2006
        On Sunday 09 April 2006 00:30, Megan & Dave wrote:
        > I don't recommend deciding on a household for at least a year.  There
        > is so much involved in the SCA you need to find your bearings before
        > you commit.  [...] Too many people commit, and then later find out that
        > this isn't a group you want to belong to, and frequently there are hurt
        > feelings when it is brought out.

        These are, in my personal opinion, very, very wise words!

        Households are great -- I'm very happy to be a member of one myself.
        But I've seen too many cases where households eager to grow their numbers
        met up with new people eager to feel a part of a circle of friends -- with
        disastrous results.

        At an event last summer, our household shared camping space with another
        household that was one of these eager-grabbers. There were some newbies
        camping with this other household, and from watching the interaction, I
        formulated the following:

        Justin's Rules On How To NOT Find A Household

        You should run, not walk, away from any household where....

        * ...the person who is the leader of the household is bragging openly
        that, "Yeah, I'm a legend with the Chirurgeons! They
        tell war stories about all the stupid things I do at Pennsic!"

        * ...it takes the household leader twenty minutes with a whiteboard to
        explain the organization chart and officer roles of a household that
        has only about 25 members.

        * ...there are multiple levels of approval and appeal required to invite
        a friend to visit your campsite, sit under the dining fly, and have
        a cold beer.

        Our folks were having a great amount of private amusement about all this
        (and I swear, the above really happened -- they even had the whiteboard with
        them to explain the org chart!). Mind you, these were really NICE
        people, but we just couldn't imagine why they needed so much bureaucracy
        for such a small group where presumably everyone in the group is friends!

        We've got about twenty members in our household [*], we don't actively recruit,
        and our fifteen year history we've never had any serious interpersonal conflict.
        We don't *need* officers or lots of rules because we only invite people
        into the household with whom we already have close friendships. Decisions
        are by concensus, and new members have to be approved unanimously. The upside
        is that we have a very relaxed and friendly culture -- the downside is that
        we don't have the number to make an effective fighting unit or guild or to
        do really large service projects.

        I'm not saying our way is the only way -- I'm just pointing out that there
        are a zillion different ways for households to work. If you're new to the
        SCA, you owe it to yourself to stick around for a while and get to know
        people from a variety of different kinds of household before you commit
        to one. Look for a household whose lifestyle meshes well with your own
        attitudes and values. Some households are just groups of friends, others
        are more hierarchical, like a medieval family household. Some are local
        to one area, others are kingdom-wide or even multi-kingdom.

        That process of learning about the households in your area happens in
        parallel with learning about the various activities and customs of the SCA,
        and with learning about yourself and what you want from this hobby. All
        of these things take time -- hence the wisdom of Gwenhyfar's post which I
        quoted above. :-)

        And don't overlook the possibility of forming your own household with a
        couple of close friends. Milica and I formed Erevnite Asteron before we really
        had any official ties to an SCA shire, and with almost no SCA experience.
        Households aren't officially sanctioned by the SCA, so you don't have to
        do any paperwork or have any special approval to form one. Just pick the
        people you want in your household, pick a name that isn't taken, and
        declare that you're a household. That's about all there is to it.

        Justin

        [*] Erevnite Asteron, http://erevnite.4th.com/

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 10, 2006
          Example A: AAAAAUUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!! *witness Giudo running, screaming
          into the night*

          Example B: Quoth Giudo "Intriguing. Now can you translate that into
          English? No, no...English. As in the language that the REST of us
          speak."

          Example C: Ummmm...no. I don't do beer. Come back to my encampment and
          we'll enjoy some Gooseberry wine that an apprentice sister of mine
          made.

          *LOL* Wow...those are some scary, scary versions of Households.
          Sadly, I've seen all of these in action. Funny enough, it was a group
          like Example C that wanted to put me on their "watch list" for
          consideration for joining their Household. I looked at them and just
          shook my head, said "No thank you" and went on my merry way.

          Now, at last count, I'm a member of...*counts on his fingers
          again*...5 (is that right?)...yup...5 different Households of various
          sizes and natures:

          * Clan Blue Feather: Society-wide clan for the LGBT community, their
          allies, and those interested in studying Medieval sexuality. [[Very
          LITTLE beaurocratic stuff, at least amongst the Calontir contingent.]]

          * House ORU (aka "Orphans 'R' Us"): A local Household of about 10-12
          individuals who all are close friends; almost like a 2nd family at the
          local level. [[My roommate is my House sister, and we seriously act
          like siblings 99.99% of the time. We've been mistaken as such many
          times in real life...*LOL*]]

          * House Leatherwolf: A personal Household founded by HE Master Modar
          Neznanich, his lady wife, and her close friend. This Household follows
          the tenant of "Ohana"...and people have been invited in just for being
          themselves, where they've done something that has struck the founders
          as being awe-inspiring, really cool, or has affected them in a
          positive way.

          * Compagnia dell'Arcangelo Gabriele: My personal Household, based
          loosely on the Florentine confraternities...where those I have invited
          into the Household exemplify the idea of charity. So far there's a
          long-time college friend, and a friend I met through LiveJournal (of
          all places)...and myself. I've opened it up that they are free to
          invite their significant others and anyone they have a formal
          relationship with (ie: Peer/associate, student/teacher, other heads of
          House, etc). And since the three of us cover 2 Kingdoms, we are free
          to add others to the group if we think they would benefit from such an
          association...just let the others know who you're looking at, why they
          are so cool, and invite them in. [[I'm very amorphous, but I'm really
          sending the hint out that we are not "The Family" or "The Borg".]]

          * And then there's the small Household with my Laurel and my fellow
          apprentice brothers and sisters. This goes into another realm of
          relationships that most newcomers should NOT be bogged down with. If
          you've only been playing for a year, and you've got a Peer coming up
          to you asking you to be their squire, their apprentice, or their
          protege...RUN!!! 9 times out of 10 they are either trying to warp you
          to THEIR view of the SCA, or their off collecting "trophy" associates.
          [[BAD blood runs in both of these scenarios.]]

          Hrm...I'll hold off on that entire rant for later. [[I could write an
          entire essay on my search and inquiry into the realm of Peer/associate
          relationships.]]

          Giudo di Niccolo

          On 4/10/06, Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...> wrote:
          > Justin's Rules On How To NOT Find A Household
          >
          > You should run, not walk, away from any household where....
          >
          > * ...the person who is the leader of the household is bragging openly
          > that, "Yeah, I'm a legend with the Chirurgeons! They
          > tell war stories about all the stupid things I do at Pennsic!"
          >
          > * ...it takes the household leader twenty minutes with a whiteboard to
          > explain the organization chart and officer roles of a household that
          > has only about 25 members.
          >
          > * ...there are multiple levels of approval and appeal required to invite
          > a friend to visit your campsite, sit under the dining fly, and have
          > a cold beer.
        • Milica of Varna
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 11, 2006
            I would agree with this. Also, many households are created for camping
            purposes at large camping events. This allows people to choose with whom this
            wish to camp. There are many of these households that exist only for the
            wars. Not a bad way to go either.

            Milica

            On Monday 10 April 2006 23:27, Iustinos Tekton called Justin wrote:
            > And don't overlook the possibility of forming your own household with a
            > couple of close friends. Milica and I formed Erevnite Asteron before we
            > really had any official ties to an SCA shire, and with almost no SCA
            > experience. Households aren't officially sanctioned by the SCA, so you
            > don't have to do any paperwork or have any special approval to form one.
            > Just pick the people you want in your household, pick a name that isn't
            > taken, and declare that you're a household. That's about all there is to
            > it.

            THL Milica of Varna
            Chronicler, Barony of Brendoken

          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 12, 2006
              On Tuesday 11 April 2006 00:01, Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi wrote:
              > *LOL*  Wow...those are some scary, scary versions of Households.

              No, M'Lord, with respect I must correct you.

              These are all THE SAME HOUSEHOLD DURING A SINGLE AFTERNOON.

              Now you should *really* be scared. {GRIN}

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 12, 2006
                On 4/12/06, Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...> wrote:
                > On Tuesday 11 April 2006 00:01, Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi wrote:
                > > *LOL* Wow...those are some scary, scary versions of Households.
                >
                > No, M'Lord, with respect I must correct you.
                >
                > These are all THE SAME HOUSEHOLD DURING A SINGLE AFTERNOON.
                >
                > Now you should *really* be scared. {GRIN}
                >
                > Justin

                OK...the SAME household in ONE day? EGADS!

                Giudo