Devices...

  • Max the Mad
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 10, 2006
      I've been playing with several ideas for Devices lately, and remember
      trying to get one passed was a laborious task...like up to six months.
      Has it improved via the net now?

      Under consideration: A Phoenix (Or), Splayed, Facing Sinister, Rising
      from flames below, holding Mullet (Or) between the wing tips in Chief,
      On a field of Black, with bordure (Or), Embattled.

      Were subtle colors like Bronze or Gunmetal/Dark silver ever used?

      Cheers...Max.
    • Melissa Carter
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 10, 2006
        Greetings,
        You can not submit your registration via the Internet...it still must be mailed in through your local herald and yes it does still take up to nine months (kind of like waiting to give birth) to register. If you get a fast track submission it might take only six to seven months.

        These are the ONLY colors register able through the College of Arms (CoA):
        azure=blue
        gules=red
        sable=black
        vert=green
        purpue=purple
        Or=gold (yellow) [which is the only one capitalized BTW]
        argent=silver (white)
        Orange, brown,maroon are all post period and not register able. As for gun metal or gray that would need to become argent/white.

        As for your device and the blazon here is the best I can discern:

        Sable a phoenix proper within a bordure Or.

        I do not believe that a bird can support anything in its wings...as lest this is what I've gathered from recent discussion on the heralds list. So you could have the mace/mallet/hammer fess wise (which is to say...laying in a horizontal position) in chief (above the phoenix head). That would read thus:

        Sable a phoenix proper fess-wise in chief a mallet within a bordure Or

        Or something very close to that.

        The default position of a phoenix is issuant from flames (other wise it isn't phoenix) wings displayed.

        I hope this helps you out some. I didn't conflict check this device at all so I can not say if it would pass or not. If you want any more help please contact me off list and I'll be glad to do what I can to assist you.

        As always I remain...

        In service to "The Dream",
        Frau Hedwig von Luneborg
        Serpentine Pursuivant, Loch Soilleir