Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hi

  • Jeff Suzuki
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 9, 2006
      --- Selena <selenadepp@...> wrote:

      > My husband and I are interested in joining a group
      > here in Washington,
      > but I have a question for any or all of you..how do
      > you go about
      > picking a persona??

      First: Relax, you don't need to pick one right
      away...realistically, you don't need to pick one at
      all. The bottom line is that in the SCA, you are
      defined by what you choose to do.

      Second: You might find that your interests cluster
      around a particular time period or a particular
      culture, and can be modified to include both. This is
      usually a good place to start. For example, I find
      myself interested in 16th century Japan, and had
      interests in fighting, cooking, and performing. As it
      turns out, very few people cooked Japanese food or
      told Japanese stories, both of which I'm very familiar
      with. The net result was that I ended up with a
      Japanese persona (Fujimoto, 16th century Japan).

      Third: You may find your interests changing. No
      problem; you can keep the persona you have or you can
      make up a new one. For example, I fell in with the
      wrong crowd...commedia performers...did a bunch of
      performance, some directing and writing. Not really
      appropriate for a Japanese persona, so I created a new
      one (Alessandro, 16th century Italy). Simultaneously
      I began dabbling with teaching mathematics (my mundane
      profession), and needed an academic persona (William,
      16th Century England).

      This is why I sign my posts,
      Jeffs/etc.

      http://mail.yahoo.com