choosing a name (was: Hi)

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 9, 2006
      Selena wrote:
      > . . .how do you go about picking. . .a name

      The simplest way to get an authentic name is to look at lists of period
      names from a single culture (the one you want to portray), and pick two
      name elements you like. How name elements fit together and how names
      are constructed vary from culture to culture, so you'll want to make
      sure the ones you select "go together" and that you're using the
      correct spelling, declensions, etc.

      The best online source is the Academy of St. Gabriel's Medieval Names
      Archive <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/>. Start with their general
      articles on choosing a name, and then move to the information for the
      culture you've chosen.

      Your local heralds can help with the process, and will have books you
      can use for reference (at least for some cultures).

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>
    • Jeff Suzuki
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9, 2006
        --- Selena <selenadepp@...> wrote:

        > My husband and I are interested in joining a group
        > here in Washington,
        > but I have a question for any or all of you..how do
        > you go about
        > picking a persona??

        First: Relax, you don't need to pick one right
        away...realistically, you don't need to pick one at
        all. The bottom line is that in the SCA, you are
        defined by what you choose to do.

        Second: You might find that your interests cluster
        around a particular time period or a particular
        culture, and can be modified to include both. This is
        usually a good place to start. For example, I find
        myself interested in 16th century Japan, and had
        interests in fighting, cooking, and performing. As it
        turns out, very few people cooked Japanese food or
        told Japanese stories, both of which I'm very familiar
        with. The net result was that I ended up with a
        Japanese persona (Fujimoto, 16th century Japan).

        Third: You may find your interests changing. No
        problem; you can keep the persona you have or you can
        make up a new one. For example, I fell in with the
        wrong crowd...commedia performers...did a bunch of
        performance, some directing and writing. Not really
        appropriate for a Japanese persona, so I created a new
        one (Alessandro, 16th century Italy). Simultaneously
        I began dabbling with teaching mathematics (my mundane
        profession), and needed an academic persona (William,
        16th Century England).

        This is why I sign my posts,
        Jeffs/etc.

        http://mail.yahoo.com