Re: Hi

  • clanyoungvp
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 9, 2006
      "For the begginer" websites.
      - Hobbe

      http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/whatis/name.html
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/dietmar/hints.html
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/
      http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/Names.htm

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Selena" <selenadepp@...> wrote:

      > My husband and I are interested in joining a group here in
      Washington,
      > but I have a question for any or all of you..how do you go about
      > picking a persona?? and a name, I found the list with the french
      names
      > but as they appear to be noble, no dice..help...
      >
      > Thanks

    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9, 2006
        Selena wrote:
        > . . .how do you go about picking. . .a name

        The simplest way to get an authentic name is to look at lists of period
        names from a single culture (the one you want to portray), and pick two
        name elements you like. How name elements fit together and how names
        are constructed vary from culture to culture, so you'll want to make
        sure the ones you select "go together" and that you're using the
        correct spelling, declensions, etc.

        The best online source is the Academy of St. Gabriel's Medieval Names
        Archive <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/>. Start with their general
        articles on choosing a name, and then move to the information for the
        culture you've chosen.

        Your local heralds can help with the process, and will have books you
        can use for reference (at least for some cultures).

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
      • Jeff Suzuki
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 9, 2006
          --- Selena <selenadepp@...> wrote:

          > My husband and I are interested in joining a group
          > here in Washington,
          > but I have a question for any or all of you..how do
          > you go about
          > picking a persona??

          First: Relax, you don't need to pick one right
          away...realistically, you don't need to pick one at
          all. The bottom line is that in the SCA, you are
          defined by what you choose to do.

          Second: You might find that your interests cluster
          around a particular time period or a particular
          culture, and can be modified to include both. This is
          usually a good place to start. For example, I find
          myself interested in 16th century Japan, and had
          interests in fighting, cooking, and performing. As it
          turns out, very few people cooked Japanese food or
          told Japanese stories, both of which I'm very familiar
          with. The net result was that I ended up with a
          Japanese persona (Fujimoto, 16th century Japan).

          Third: You may find your interests changing. No
          problem; you can keep the persona you have or you can
          make up a new one. For example, I fell in with the
          wrong crowd...commedia performers...did a bunch of
          performance, some directing and writing. Not really
          appropriate for a Japanese persona, so I created a new
          one (Alessandro, 16th century Italy). Simultaneously
          I began dabbling with teaching mathematics (my mundane
          profession), and needed an academic persona (William,
          16th Century England).

          This is why I sign my posts,
          Jeffs/etc.

          http://mail.yahoo.com