heraldic colors

  • mandolin33
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 2006
      What do the colors: blue, red, black, and gold signify in heraldic
      meaning? I know there was meaning in the real heraldic world for each
      color. Is there one here in the sca?

      Thank you.
      Mandolin33
    • Sue Warner
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 9, 2006
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "mandolin33" <mandolin33@...>
        wrote:

        > What do the colors: blue, red, black, and gold signify in heraldic
        > meaning? I know there was meaning in the real heraldic world for
        each
        > color. Is there one here in the sca?
        >
        > Thank you.
        > Mandolin33

        They are colors, nothing more.

        In the Victorian age, however, they decided that each of the colors
        represented "virtues".(right now I am not sure of which virtue each
        of the colors you list represent,I have not made that a study of
        mine) And another time frame it was decided to call each color by a
        planet or jewel name.

        Mariassa of Ashgrove
        Herald, Marche of Norborough
      • Hobbe
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 9, 2006
          From;
          http://staffweb.peoriaud.k12.az.us/Eric_Jerome/a_brief_history_of_hera
          ldry.htm
          Noting that any meaning was intended by the guy who owned the arms
          and were certainly not awarded. It was just a method of describing
          yourself. Considering that many arms were hereditery, it means even
          less. You will probably find other meanings from other sources. By
          all means, use the meanings if you are designing your own SCA arms.
          - Hobbe

          COLORS - Even the colors can have special meaning in a "family crest"
          or coat of arms:
          Gold (Or) - Generosity and elevation of the mind
          Silver or White (Argent) - Peace and sincerity
          Red (Gules) - Warrior or martyr; Military strength and magnanimity
          Blue (Azure) - Truth and loyalty
          Green (Vert) - Hope, joy, and loyalty in love
          Black (Sable) - Constancy or grief
          Purple (Purpure) - Royal majesty, sovereignty, and justice
          Orange (Tawny or Tenne) - Worthy ambition
          Maroon (Sanguine or Murray) - Patient in battle, and yet victorious