Re: [SCA Newcomers] Well, Hello

  • pumpkinhead
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
      HI! I'm a newbie also, but found that the Kingdom of Altantia website is very accomindating. they have a search by zip could for local groups. Since you are lucky enough to be smack in the middle of two groups, you can attend both and see which one you like the vibe of better. also look at how far you would have to travel to attend. And as I have been warned, don't commit to being within a household till you know just what the household will expect from you and what there aim, goal is. I've seen already witnessed a household leader who is very very driven (to the extreme, almost in an unhealthy way) in regards to her household actually kick someone out, cause they were going through a period of real life turmoil and weren't commiting as much as her. As soon as I saw that I decided to try to become buddies with that person, and avoid households till I found one that would be a benefit to belong to. I thought joining a group was about inclusion and working together not being
      an outcast (when someone is going through a hard time that is when they need the people they have known for years the most)
      http://www.atlantia.sca.org/

      I've already noticed in the short time I've been around my local group that they have a lot of diverse interests in general but have a major focus that is not within my interests. So I will plod away doing research to create my own persona, share my skills (mainly within the fiber world, embroidery, weaving, spinning, etc) and learn from them the various other options with in SCA & the Arts & Sciences. Have to admit it was the Kingdoms A & S that got my attention and made 2 of my friends drag me to the event.

      I'm also lucky enough to have another group close enough to check out. I hope to attend thier Birthday celebration coming up.
      ellenrw1 <AuntyD@...> wrote:
      Well hello all,
      Yes this is the obligatory *wave* Hello-I'm-New-Here.

      My name is Ellen, I live in Delaware, and although I'm not a rough
      newbie (many of my friends are in the group, and I was involved a long
      while ago) I'm new again.

      Could anyone tell me how I should go about this all again? I live
      right on the border between Cair Adement (sp) and the Philly SCA
      group. So I am not sure whome to contact.

      Many thanks, Ellen

    • Ellen Griffith
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
        Ian the Green,
        Thank you so much for your help! But I was just contacted off list by caer
        adament (sp) Seems that they are the state of DE, while the Barony of
        Bhakail is the county. I've found the way to get statred ;)
        Ellen