Re: Ummmm....

  • sasquatchmachinist
    Message 1 of 35 , Mar 29, 2006
      You might also cater to those craftsmen/craftspersons who need help
      finding Sources-of-Supply for their raw materials. I have a thousand-
      foot[???] spool of carpet thread that I am still making glass bead
      [6mm] necklaces with.

      Supply N demand, even in barter.

      Your friend, Jon.

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Suzuki <jeff_suzuki@...>
      wrote:

      > --- xwecklox <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      >
      > > Yeah I attened a meeting at Sol Haven a few years
      > > ago and this lady
      > > said....you paint my house, I'll get you some armor.
      > > Haha....I think
      > > that deal would have been a TAD unbalanced, but the
      > > premise was a good
      > > idea.
      >
      > Depends on the armor. You could easily spend a few
      > thousand dollars on it. You could also get a basic
      > kit for around $200.
      >
      > Let me pitch my idea a little bit more...;-)
      >
      > If I was an armorer who needed his house painted...it
      > might be tempting. If I enjoyed painting houses and
      > needed armor...again, it might be tempting.
      > Unfortunately, I'm acrophobic. On the other hand, I
      > enjoy cooking...How many meals for 8 are worth a helm?
      >
      > I found to my surprise that I've got Marxist
      > leanings...that is to say, at my time in life, I've
      > come to the decision that the difference between the
      > cost of the raw materials and the value of the
      > finished product comes down how much (competent) labor
      > was put into it. If it takes you X hours, I'm willing
      > to trade that for something that takes me X hours
      > (with adjustments made for materials cost).
      >
      > It doesn't matter to me that I might be able to sell
      > my product on the market for 2 or 3 times what you
      > could sell yours for...because I don't want to go into
      > the manufacturing business. (In the above case...I
      > don't want to go into the restaurant or catering
      > business. Too much work if I _have_ to do it. But
      > the occasional meal here or there, when it's for a
      > specific purpose...sure, why not? It'll be fun)
      >
      > Part of the idea is that there are a good number who
      > choose their persona based on "What can I sew?" There
      > are a lot of people who can't do much more than pack a
      > sandwich and chips for their lunch.
      >
      > What would be truly *neat* is to make use of our
      > collective talents (and to provide an outlet for those
      > of us who are a bit compulsive in our habits...).
      > This would raise the general level of "atmosphere".
      >
      > Of course, we could do the same thing by just asking:
      > "Hey, what would it take for you to sew me some garb?"
      > But few of us are that bold...it's much easier if we
      > see that X is willing to sew in exchange for food, and
      > it makes it that much easier to approach X. (Ulterior
      > motive #7: X might be someone we never got around to
      > talking to. This gives us a reason to talk to them,
      > with a guaranteed subject to talk about...as I said,
      > it's my current project in social engineering)
      >
      > Jeffs/etc.

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 35 of 35 , Apr 10, 2006
        On Thursday 16 March 2006 23:06, Maria wrote:
        > Ditto to the fruit, cheese hummus, pitas and regular bread.  I also
        > get lunchmeat cut to about 3/4 inch at the supermarket and cut that
        > into chunks.

        There are also some companies now making lunchmeat that doesn't require
        refrigeration until after it's opened. If you buy just what you plan to
        eat at one meal....no cooler. :-)

        Yogurt also will do just fine for a few hours without refrigeration. The
        active cultures in it are a natural preservative that crowds out other
        organisms.

        keys fesswise reversed sable.