Re: [SCA Newcomers] Garb question

  • Jeff Suzuki
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 16, 2006
      --- bronwynmgn@... wrote:

      > I did want to hit this second point, though. I
      > think, as you learn more
      > about medieval life, you'll find that the "women
      > weren't allowed to do anything"
      > bit is pretty much a modern misconception or even an
      > outright myth.

      Besides those occupations already listed, it's worth
      noting that in many areas, among certain classes,
      women were more likely to be literate and numerate,
      since keeping track of the household accounts was
      "women's work."

      And once you control the books...

      Jeffs/etc.

      Jeffs/etc.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 10, 2006
        On Wednesday 15 March 2006 18:39, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
        > Pretty
        > much throughout the SCA period, at least in the Western  European cultures I'm
        > most familiar with, women had quite a few more career  avenues available than
        > choosing between being a wife and mother or a nun.

        In addition to what Brangwayna has said, I should also mention that in the SCA
        we create the *current middle ages*, not the *historical middle ages*. In
        short terms, that means when it comes to things like gender roles, we do "the
        middle ages as we wish they had been." So I can (and do) sew and cook, and
        many women can (and do) fight and make armor and so on. It's great that there
        *are* historical precedents for things like this, as Brangwayna cites, but also
        it's great that in the SCA you can participate in any activity you wish without
        having to prove that your gender could have done so in period.

        Again, not to disagree with what Brangwayna said about the historical facts,
        just adding the SCA-specific spin as an extra bit of info. :-)

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Sydney Walker Freedman
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 10, 2006
          There are some who are attracted to the SCA and medieval studies partially
          because of the traditional gender roles. (Ahem, maybe not that many...)
          Sorry. I just really enjoy sitting at my loom and singing chansons de
          toile. Also, it's a good thing I don't fight; I don't need a sword. I'm
          scary enough as it is with a cane. :)

          Pax Christi,
          Cecilia

          > On Wednesday 15 March 2006 18:39, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
          > > Pretty
          > > much throughout the SCA period, at least in the Western  European
          > cultures I'm
          > > most familiar with, women had quite a few more career  avenues
          > available than
          > > choosing between being a wife and mother or a nun.
          >
          > In addition to what Brangwayna has said, I should also mention that in
          > the SCA
          > we create the *current middle ages*, not the *historical middle ages*. In
          > short terms, that means when it comes to things like gender roles, we do
          > "the
          > middle ages as we wish they had been." So I can (and do) sew and
          > cook, and
          > many women can (and do) fight and make armor and so on. It's great that
          > there
          > *are* historical precedents for things like this, as Brangwayna cites,
          > but also
          > it's great that in the SCA you can participate in any activity you wish
          > without
          > having to prove that your gender could have done so in period.
          >
          > Again, not to disagree with what Brangwayna said about the historical
          > facts,
          > just adding the SCA-specific spin as an extra bit of info. :-)
          >
          > Justin
          >
          > --
          > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          > justin@... PGP Public Key at http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

          Pax Christi,
          Sydney
        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 10, 2006
            On Monday 10 April 2006 22:49, Sydney Walker Freedman wrote:
            > There are some who are attracted to the SCA and medieval studies partially
            > because of the traditional gender roles.

            And that's okay, too. Just because you *can* cross traditional gender roles
            doesn't mean that you *must*. :-)

            keys fesswise reversed sable.