Re: [SCA Newcomers] Armor requirments

  • Laura McCullough
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 11, 2006
      Also, check out SCA_Armor_Craft at yahoo groups.

      Elianora

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "None" <thoras1@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "James Taylor" <jtaylor04@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > It really depends on the thickness of your leather backing. The
      > scales you
      > > are looking at very thin, and being scale, they don't have that
      > much overlap
      > > to increase the thickness the way lamellar would. Society
      > standards are a
      > > minimum of heavy leather with 1/4" closed cell foam padding over
      > the Kidneys
      > > or its equivalent, so as long as you have padding and it is
      rigid
      > over your
      > > kidneys you should be able to pass inspection. However, your
      > Kingdom may
      > > have stricter requirements, so ymmv.
      > > Also a thing to think about is this: As a new fighter, you will
      > get hit -
      > > Often. Now, everyone in this game loves to show off a big purple
      > red bone
      > > bruises from a really good shot we took, but we don't really
      care
      > for the 4
      > > days of soreness until it goes away. As a new fighter you should
      > pad up
      > > heavily and inexpensively, and then once you build up some
      skills
      > so you
      > > aren't being hit as often and are more certain this is something
      > you want to
      > > keep doing invest in a better and lighter rig.
      > >
      > > Imbicatus
      > >
      > > On 3/3/06, None <thoras1@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello all, I'm just starting to get interested in the SCA,
      > checking
      > > > out stuff and really hoping to get into it. My main interest
      is
      > the
      > > > heavy armored combat, I'm currently taking a Chivalrous
      > > > Swordhandling course offered at my college, which led me to
      the
      > SCA.
      > > >
      > > > I'm also very interested in taking a shot at making my own
      armor,
      > > > which I've started to do and am quite interested in. I'm
      still a
      > > > bit vague on the armor requirements for the SCA though, I've
      read
      > > > the armor guidelines a dozen times, but I'm still not totally
      > sure
      > > > about what's good enough.
      > > >
      > > > My main question right now would be, would scale armor
      attached
      > to a
      > > > leather backing be legal protection for body/legs/arms? I'm
      not
      > even
      > > > sure if it's feasible to make the leg/arm armor out of scale,
      but
      > > > it's something I wouldn't mind trying if it would meet
      > requirements.
      > > >
      > > > The scale I'm looking at comes from the ringlord,

      costume<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?

      t=ms&k=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+c

      ostume&w2=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=2&s=79&.sig=c7SkmNTkV
      > -TglPCmup7cOA> Medieval
      > > > time dinner and tournament<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?

      t=ms&k=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&w1=Medieval+and+renaissanc

      e+costume&w2=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=2&s=79&.sig=zNdfqL