new to the list

  • Laura McCullough
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 11, 2006
      Greetings M'lords and M'ladies,

      I am relatively new to the Society and brand new to this list. My name
      is Elianora de la Woderose, and I play with the Shire of Owl's Nest in
      Kennesaw, Ga. The group has affectionately (or not!) named me
      the "rampant newbie", so be warned! :) I have joined several new SCA
      lists in an attempt to broaden my knowledge base and resources, and
      think that this one will be just the trick!

      Elianora
    • Jeff Suzuki
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 13, 2006
        Welcome!

        (Rampant newbie...interesting heraldic
        possibilities...)

        What are your interests?

        Jeffs/etc.

        --- Laura McCullough <wolfflow14@...> wrote:

        > Greetings M'lords and M'ladies,
        >
        > I am relatively new to the Society and brand new to
        > this list. My name
        > is Elianora de la Woderose, and I play with the
        > Shire of Owl's Nest in
        > Kennesaw, Ga. The group has affectionately (or not!)
        > named me
        > the "rampant newbie", so be warned! :) I have joined
        > several new SCA
        > lists in an attempt to broaden my knowledge base and
        > resources, and
        > think that this one will be just the trick!
        >
        > Elianora

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Laura McCullough
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 13, 2006
          I'm sorry I sent that twice. Nothing like starting out on the right
          foot, huh?

          Elianora

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Laura McCullough"
          <wolfflow14@...> wrote:

          > Greetings M'lords and M'ladies,
          >
          > I am relatively new to the Society and brand new to this list. My
          name
          > is Elianora de la Woderose, and I play with the Shire of Owl's Nest
          in
          > Kennesaw, Ga. The group has affectionately (or not!) named me
          > the "rampant newbie", so be warned! :) I have joined several new SCA
          > lists in an attempt to broaden my knowledge base and resources, and
          > think that this one will be just the trick!
          >
          > Elianora

        • Laura McCullough
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 13, 2006
            My current interests include scrollwork, garb design and
            construction, and heraldry. (My future interests include everything
            not listed above) Right now I'm working on some master scrolls for
            the kingdom, several award scrolls for an upcoming event, mine and
            my lord's garb for Fool's War, and I've just accepted the Deputy
            Herald position with my group. Whew! I didn't realize I was doing
            that much until I wrote it down!!!

            Elianora

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Suzuki <jeff_suzuki@...>
            wrote:

            > Welcome!
            >
            > (Rampant newbie...interesting heraldic
            > possibilities...)
            >
            > What are your interests?
            >
            > Jeffs/etc.
            >
            > --- Laura McCullough <wolfflow14@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Greetings M'lords and M'ladies,
            > >
            > > I am relatively new to the Society and brand new to
            > > this list. My name
            > > is Elianora de la Woderose, and I play with the
            > > Shire of Owl's Nest in
            > > Kennesaw, Ga. The group has affectionately (or not!)
            > > named me
            > > the "rampant newbie", so be warned! :) I have joined
            > > several new SCA
            > > lists in an attempt to broaden my knowledge base and
            > > resources, and
            > > think that this one will be just the trick!
            > >
            > > Elianora

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 14, 2006
              On Monday 13 March 2006 20:55, Laura McCullough wrote:
              > I'm sorry I sent that twice. Nothing like starting out on the right
              > foot, huh?

              No harm, no foul. :-) Welcome to the list.

              Justin
              List Co-Moderator

              keys fesswise reversed sable.

            • Jeff Suzuki
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 14, 2006
                Good grief, and you're "relatively" new? ;-)

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 14, 2006
                  Welcome to the Helium Hands (tm) Society, Elianora!!!

                  You are in good company with many of us on having a serious addiction
                  to Helium. [[It's that adult ADHD that does some of us in. Others,
                  it's just the desire to do everything and learn everything all at
                  once.]]

                  With that in mind, do remember that if you start to feel burnt out or
                  that things aren't as fun as they used to be...you might want to
                  consider taking a step back from things for a moment, take a deep
                  breath, and analyze just how much you are doing at the moment.
                  [[Believe me, I've been there...more times than I care to admit.]]

                  Don't let this advice discourage you though. Do as much as you want to
                  do...just as long as you're still having fun doing it. I know I'm one
                  of those that likes to have my hands in about 300 pots...just in case
                  I would (god forbid) get bored. I certainly applaud you diving head
                  first into this game that we play...may you always have that drive and
                  spirit in all you do in the Society.

                  [[And just to prove what I mean about the extent that the Helium Hand
                  (tm) Society can go, I'll be evil and include a FULL signature on this
                  E-Mail. Please note, this is a ONE time thing, as it will make most of
                  your heads hurt just thinking about all of it.]]

                  Until the next time,
                  Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi, CT
                  Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir
                  Deodar Pursuivant & Armorialist
                  Kingdom Disaster Relief Coordinator
                  Deputy Kingdom Chatelaine
                  Regent, Royal University of Scir-Hafoc
                  [[Soon-to-be Former]] Student to HE Master Modar Neznanich (aka: The
                  Heraldic God)
                  [[Soon-to-be]] Apprentice to Master Mellitus of Rouncivale
                  http://www.geocities.com/purplellamaboi/giudo.html

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 14, 2006
                    On Tuesday 14 March 2006 13:21, Jeff Suzuki wrote:
                    > and I've just
                    > > accepted the Deputy
                    > > Herald position with my group

                    Good for you!

                    Note to other newcomers: Being a deputy officer is a fantastic way to learn
                    about an office that you find interesting, even while you are still very
                    new to the SCA. In many local groups, the officers have a lot of trouble
                    finding someone to serve as their deputy, even though it's not a lot of
                    work (usually). If you take a typical small shire with 8-12 people, most
                    of the long-time members will already be holding an office of some kind,
                    sometimes even at Baronial, Regional, or Kingdom level. So if you are the
                    new person who comes in and volunteers to fill a deputy slot, and assist
                    one of the officers, you get a terrific learning opportunity and the group
                    gets an energetic new volunteer. Everyone wins!

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 14, 2006
                      On Tuesday 14 March 2006 14:49, Iustinos Tekton called Justin wrote:
                      > On Tuesday 14 March 2006 13:21, Jeff Suzuki wrote:
                      > > and I've just
                      > > > accepted the Deputy
                      > > > Herald position with my group

                      Okay, I goofed. Jeff didn't write that; he was quoting someone else. My
                      comments were intended for the original person who posted this. Sorry
                      for the error.

                      {WHACK!} {wet noodle impacts Justin's back} {WHACK! WHACK! squish!} {They
                      don't make noodles very durable, do they?}

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 14, 2006
                        Whew...and I thought it was dangerous to leave the
                        room during a business meeting...

                        ;-)

                        Jeffs

                        --- Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>
                        wrote:

                        > On Tuesday 14 March 2006 14:49, Iustinos Tekton
                        > called Justin wrote:
                        > > On Tuesday 14 March 2006 13:21, Jeff Suzuki wrote:
                        > > > and I've just
                        >
                        > Okay, I goofed. Jeff didn't write that; he was
                        > quoting someone else. My
                        > comments were intended for the original person who
                        > posted this. Sorry
                        > for the error.
                        >
                        > {WHACK!} {wet noodle impacts Justin's back} {WHACK!
                        > WHACK! squish!} {They
                        > don't make noodles very durable, do they?}
                        >
                        > --
                        > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
                        > <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
                        > Maistor Iustinos Tekton called Justin (Scott
                        > Courtney)
                        > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief
                        > dovetailed Or two
                        > keys fesswise reversed sable.
                        >
                        > Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio)
                        > http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                        > justin@... PGP Public Key at
                        > http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Susan B. Farmer
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 14, 2006
                          Quoting Laura McCullough <wolfflow14@...>:

                          > My current interests include scrollwork, garb design and
                          > construction, and heraldry. (My future interests include everything
                          > not listed above) Right now I'm working on some master scrolls for
                          > the kingdom, several award scrolls for an upcoming event, mine and
                          > my lord's garb for Fool's War, and I've just accepted the Deputy
                          > Herald position with my group. Whew! I didn't realize I was doing
                          > that much until I wrote it down!!!

                          Well, welcome to Meridies! (I did remember that correctly, diddn't I?)

                          Jerusha, not at the war this week.
                          -----
                          Susan Farmer
                          sfarmer@...
                          University of Tennessee
                        • rebeccaatthewell_2000
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 14, 2006

                            > I'm sorry I sent that twice. Nothing like starting out on the right
                            > foot, huh?
                            >
                            > Elianora

                            That's ok m'lady, you just switched feet and assured that you had a leg
                            to stand on :D

                            Isabella (Rebecca)
                          • Laura McCullough
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 15, 2006
                              I've only been playing with my current group for about 8 months.
                              That's pretty new, right?

                              wrote:

                              > Good grief, and you're "relatively" new? ;-)
                              >
                              > Jeffs/etc.
                              >
                              > --- Laura McCullough <wolfflow14@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > My current interests include scrollwork, garb design
                              > > and
                              > > construction, and heraldry. (My future interests
                              > > include everything
                              > > not listed above) Right now I'm working on some
                              > > master scrolls for
                              > > the kingdom, several award scrolls for an upcoming
                              > > event, mine and
                              > > my lord's garb for Fool's War, and I've just
                              > > accepted the Deputy
                              > > Herald position with my group. Whew! I didn't
                              > > realize I was doing
                              > > that much until I wrote it down!!!
                              > >
                              > > Elianora
                              > >

                              > > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Suzuki
                              > > <jeff_suzuki@>
                              > > wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Welcome!
                              > > >
                              > > > (Rampant newbie...interesting heraldic
                              > > > possibilities...)
                              > > >
                              > > > What are your interests?
                              > > >
                              > > > Jeffs/etc.

                              > > not!)
                              > > joined
                              > > and

                              > > protection around
                              > > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                              > http://mail.yahoo.com

                            • Susan B. Farmer
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 16, 2006
                                Quoting Laura McCullough <wolfflow14@...>:

                                > I've only been playing with my current group for about 8 months.
                                > That's pretty new, right?

                                LOL!! I my barony, the Baroness still considers you "new" for about 5
                                years! It's a running joke. :-D

                                Jerusha
                                -----
                                Susan Farmer
                                sfarmer@...
                                University of Tennessee
                              • Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 16, 2006
                                  I still have people thinking I'm new...and I'll have been playing for
                                  10 years once October gets here. *LOL*

                                  Giudo di Niccolo