Greetings, New here.

  • jakhmr1
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2006
      Hi folks. New to the SCA. Attended a few Ren Faires in the past and
      went to my first fighter practice (to watch) last Sunday at Lake
      Julian N.C. Met the SCA folks from The Barony of Hawkwood. A friendly,
      warm and welcoming group! Everyone me feel right at home! Met folks
      with the same intrests, Brewing Mead, Blacksmithing. Currently
      researching my Viking persona, name, garb, ect. Alot to learn! Gonna
      be fun! Ended up using my American Red Cross First Aid,CPR,AED
      Instructor training on an injured fighter! He had a badly twisted
      ankle. Was then asked about becoming a Chirugeon! WOW! So this is my
      first area of study.
      Looking forward to an exciting active relationship with the SCA!
      Be well, Bob.
    • David Roland
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10, 2006
        Hey Bob,

        Welcome to the SCA. We are a great group of people on average and we
        love to have fun. How did you hear about the SCA?

        As an American Red Cross Health and Safety instructor and Chatelaine
        let me say this:

        Don't get an early case of helium hand. Look into what being a
        Chiurgen requires and allows. You may find that while you, like I,
        enjoy helping hurt people that you may not want to have the title
        chiurgen associated with that. Then again, being a chiurgen is a very
        rewarding job and obviously you are qualified for it.

        It is very easy to overwhelm oneself when you first get started into
        the SCA. There really is so much to do with soooo many nice people.
        Just take things a little slower than the sprinting pace some people
        like to start off at. It helps keep your "mundane," (regular) life
        from feeling overwhelmed by the SCA and it keeps you from getting
        burned out.

        Have fun!

        Ian the Green