Re: [SCA Newcomers] Armor requirments

  • Jeff Suzuki
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 8, 2006
      Just a minor plug...

      I've put up some basic and very general instructions
      (no pictures yet) of how to make beginner plastic
      armor (complete body suit, minus head protection) at
      http://www.geocities.com/jeff_suzuki/armor.htm

      Jeffs/Fujimoto

      --- None <thoras1@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > <jtaylor04@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > It really depends on the thickness of your leather
      > backing. The
      > scales you
      > > are looking at very thin, and being scale, they
      > don't have that
      > much overlap
      > > to increase the thickness the way lamellar would.
      > Society
      > standards are a
      > > minimum of heavy leather with 1/4" closed cell
      > foam padding over
      > the Kidneys
      > > or its equivalent, so as long as you have padding
      > and it is rigid
      > over your
      > > kidneys you should be able to pass inspection.
      > However, your
      > Kingdom may
      > > have stricter requirements, so ymmv.
      > > Also a thing to think about is this: As a new
      > fighter, you will
      > get hit -
      > > Often. Now, everyone in this game loves to show
      > off a big purple
      > red bone
      > > bruises from a really good shot we took, but we
      > don't really care
      > for the 4
      > > days of soreness until it goes away. As a new
      > fighter you should
      > pad up
      > > heavily and inexpensively, and then once you build
      > up some skills
      > so you
      > > aren't being hit as often and are more certain
      > this is something
      > you want to
      > > keep doing invest in a better and lighter rig.
      > >
      > > Imbicatus
      > >
      > > On 3/3/06, None <thoras1@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello all, I'm just starting to get interested
      > in the SCA,
      > checking
      > > > out stuff and really hoping to get into it. My
      > main interest is
      > the
      > > > heavy armored combat, I'm currently taking a
      > Chivalrous
      > > > Swordhandling course offered at my college,
      > which led me to the
      > SCA.
      > > >
      > > > I'm also very interested in taking a shot at
      > making my own armor,
      > > > which I've started to do and am quite interested
      > in. I'm still a
      > > > bit vague on the armor requirements for the SCA
      > though, I've read
      > > > the armor guidelines a dozen times, but I'm
      > still not totally
      > sure
      > > > about what's good enough.
      > > >
      > > > My main question right now would be, would scale
      > armor attached
      > to a
      > > > leather backing be legal protection for
      > body/legs/arms? I'm not
      > even
      > > > sure if it's feasible to make the leg/arm armor
      > out of scale, but
      > > > it's something I wouldn't mind trying if it

      t=ms&k=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+c

      ostume&w2=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=2&s=79&.sig=c7SkmNTkV
      > -TglPCmup7cOA> Medieval
      > > > time dinner and
      > tournament<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?

      t=ms&k=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&w1=Medieval+and+renaissanc

      e+costume&w2=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=2&s=79&.sig=zNdfqL
      > V2oyfXCdr6oOi6Sw>
      > > > on the web.
      > > >
      > > > - To unsubscribe from this group, send an
      > email to:

      > > > - Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      > the Yahoo! Terms of

      > removed]

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Laura McCullough
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 11, 2006
        Also, check out SCA_Armor_Craft at yahoo groups.

        Elianora