Re: [SCA Newcomers] Armor requirments

  • T.E. Dragon
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 7, 2006
      http://www.darkvictory.com/
      they can get you on the feild quick ...Oh and cover it with some thing ...it looks like hell...

      Magick; also magic, magjick, majik, etc.
      Something that works, has the desired affect but
      one doesn't know why.
      Technology; also science, physics, etc.
      Something that works, has the desired affect but
      one thinks one knows why.
      Supersition; also magic, myth, etc.
      Something that doesn't work, doesn't have the desired effect, but one
      thinks it does.
      Theory; also science, technology.
      Explanation for why something does/doesn't work
      that one accepts.
      Myth; also theory, fantisy.
      Same as above except that one doesn't accept.
      Supernatural;Beyond the realm of the natural world.
      Paranormal;Beyond the realm of the normal.(see note above)
      Science;The search for how.
      Religion;The answer to why.

    • Hobbe
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 7, 2006
        I will vouch for Dark Victory. I picked up my armor from them. I do
        find that the cords, although plenty strong enough, are a pain when it
        comes to keeping a knot tied. Although you can heat glue many knots so
        as to be permanent, you will want to replace the few ties that must be
        be done and undone with something that stays connected. As for the
        looks, well it's plastic... but as least it's black. I tell everyone
        that the scale on the side of my breast plate is my blood alcohol level
        indicator. It goes from 25 - 40 gallons.

        Also keep in mind that most historically accurate armor was meant to
        protect against slashing weapons. You will want to prevent blunt force
        injury, meaning that chainmail will give you nice ring shaped bruises.
        Pad as much as you can if you go with the chain or scale.
        - Hobbe

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "T.E. Dragon"
        <handyman_nearby@...> wrote:

        > http://www.darkvictory.com/
        > they can get you on the feild quick ...Oh and cover it with some
        thing ...it looks like hell...
      • Jeff Suzuki
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 8, 2006
          --- "T.E. Dragon" <handyman_nearby@...> wrote:

          > go with black pickle barrels...around my neck of the
          > woods you can get 3 for 21.00

          Also check out local car washes; the soap comes in
          barrels, and if you ask, they'll probably give them to
          you.

          One warning: go to the self-service places. The
          conveyor belt places use much more toxic chemicals,
          and they're 1) less likely to give you the barrels
          (they might not even be permitted to, legally) and 2)
          if they do, you've got to be more careful with the
          contents.

          Jeffs/Fujimoto

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Jeff Suzuki
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 8, 2006
            Just a minor plug...

            I've put up some basic and very general instructions
            (no pictures yet) of how to make beginner plastic
            armor (complete body suit, minus head protection) at
            http://www.geocities.com/jeff_suzuki/armor.htm

            Jeffs/Fujimoto

            --- None <thoras1@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > <jtaylor04@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > It really depends on the thickness of your leather
            > backing. The
            > scales you
            > > are looking at very thin, and being scale, they
            > don't have that
            > much overlap
            > > to increase the thickness the way lamellar would.
            > Society
            > standards are a
            > > minimum of heavy leather with 1/4" closed cell
            > foam padding over
            > the Kidneys
            > > or its equivalent, so as long as you have padding
            > and it is rigid
            > over your
            > > kidneys you should be able to pass inspection.
            > However, your
            > Kingdom may
            > > have stricter requirements, so ymmv.
            > > Also a thing to think about is this: As a new
            > fighter, you will
            > get hit -
            > > Often. Now, everyone in this game loves to show
            > off a big purple
            > red bone
            > > bruises from a really good shot we took, but we
            > don't really care
            > for the 4
            > > days of soreness until it goes away. As a new
            > fighter you should
            > pad up
            > > heavily and inexpensively, and then once you build
            > up some skills
            > so you
            > > aren't being hit as often and are more certain
            > this is something
            > you want to
            > > keep doing invest in a better and lighter rig.
            > >
            > > Imbicatus
            > >
            > > On 3/3/06, None <thoras1@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hello all, I'm just starting to get interested
            > in the SCA,
            > checking
            > > > out stuff and really hoping to get into it. My
            > main interest is
            > the
            > > > heavy armored combat, I'm currently taking a
            > Chivalrous
            > > > Swordhandling course offered at my college,
            > which led me to the
            > SCA.
            > > >
            > > > I'm also very interested in taking a shot at
            > making my own armor,
            > > > which I've started to do and am quite interested
            > in. I'm still a
            > > > bit vague on the armor requirements for the SCA
            > though, I've read
            > > > the armor guidelines a dozen times, but I'm
            > still not totally
            > sure
            > > > about what's good enough.
            > > >
            > > > My main question right now would be, would scale
            > armor attached
            > to a
            > > > leather backing be legal protection for
            > body/legs/arms? I'm not
            > even
            > > > sure if it's feasible to make the leg/arm armor
            > out of scale, but
            > > > it's something I wouldn't mind trying if it

            t=ms&k=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+c

            ostume&w2=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=2&s=79&.sig=c7SkmNTkV
            > -TglPCmup7cOA> Medieval
            > > > time dinner and
            > tournament<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?

            t=ms&k=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&w1=Medieval+and+renaissanc

            e+costume&w2=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament&c=2&s=79&.sig=zNdfqL
            > V2oyfXCdr6oOi6Sw>
            > > > on the web.
            > > >
            > > > - To unsubscribe from this group, send an
            > email to:

            > > > - Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            > the Yahoo! Terms of

            > removed]

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Laura McCullough
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 11, 2006
              Also, check out SCA_Armor_Craft at yahoo groups.

              Elianora