Re: [SCA Newcomers] Armor requirments

  • Doug Petroshius
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 7, 2006
      I got as much hockey/lacrosse equipment I could and covered it with
      tunics/tabbards. Anything that wasn't sports equipment I borrowed from some
      one or from Shire loaner gear. Then, as I kept fighting and enjoying the
      game, I began to replace bits and pieces here and there. I started with the
      helm and gorget which seemed to be the most frustrating to borrow from
      people. Then, I got leg armor, then body, then arms and gauntlets.

      Understand that this was done over the course for a couple years, which made
      the expense more affordable. That way I got to try different armor and,
      above all else...Fight!

      (and I am still trading in for new things! :-O :)

      ~Gintaras~

    • T.E. Dragon
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 7, 2006
        http://www.darkvictory.com/
        they can get you on the feild quick ...Oh and cover it with some thing ...it looks like hell...

        Magick; also magic, magjick, majik, etc.
        Something that works, has the desired affect but
        one doesn't know why.
        Technology; also science, physics, etc.
        Something that works, has the desired affect but
        one thinks one knows why.
        Supersition; also magic, myth, etc.
        Something that doesn't work, doesn't have the desired effect, but one
        thinks it does.
        Theory; also science, technology.
        Explanation for why something does/doesn't work
        that one accepts.
        Myth; also theory, fantisy.
        Same as above except that one doesn't accept.
        Supernatural;Beyond the realm of the natural world.
        Paranormal;Beyond the realm of the normal.(see note above)
        Science;The search for how.
        Religion;The answer to why.

      • Hobbe
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 7, 2006
          I will vouch for Dark Victory. I picked up my armor from them. I do
          find that the cords, although plenty strong enough, are a pain when it
          comes to keeping a knot tied. Although you can heat glue many knots so
          as to be permanent, you will want to replace the few ties that must be
          be done and undone with something that stays connected. As for the
          looks, well it's plastic... but as least it's black. I tell everyone
          that the scale on the side of my breast plate is my blood alcohol level
          indicator. It goes from 25 - 40 gallons.

          Also keep in mind that most historically accurate armor was meant to
          protect against slashing weapons. You will want to prevent blunt force
          injury, meaning that chainmail will give you nice ring shaped bruises.
          Pad as much as you can if you go with the chain or scale.
          - Hobbe

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "T.E. Dragon"
          <handyman_nearby@...> wrote:

          > http://www.darkvictory.com/
          > they can get you on the feild quick ...Oh and cover it with some
          thing ...it looks like hell...
        • Jeff Suzuki
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 8, 2006
            --- "T.E. Dragon" <handyman_nearby@...> wrote:

            > go with black pickle barrels...around my neck of the
            > woods you can get 3 for 21.00

            Also check out local car washes; the soap comes in
            barrels, and if you ask, they'll probably give them to
            you.

            One warning: go to the self-service places. The
            conveyor belt places use much more toxic chemicals,
            and they're 1) less likely to give you the barrels
            (they might not even be permitted to, legally) and 2)
            if they do, you've got to be more careful with the
            contents.

            Jeffs/Fujimoto

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Jeff Suzuki
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 8, 2006
              Just a minor plug...

              I've put up some basic and very general instructions
              (no pictures yet) of how to make beginner plastic
              armor (complete body suit, minus head protection) at
              http://www.geocities.com/jeff_suzuki/armor.htm

              Jeffs/Fujimoto

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Laura McCullough
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 11, 2006
                Also, check out SCA_Armor_Craft at yahoo groups.

                Elianora