weddings

  • akashalareine
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 23, 2006
      Good day to all.
      Could anyone help me find out if one can have a marriage ceremony at
      Estrella War XXIII? My boyfriend and I have decided to get married
      and we are interested in having it at the next war. I know that a
      marriage licence would be required, but aside from that I am at a
      loss. Any help is greatly appreciated. ~Ysabel de Rouen.
    • Medieval Inc.
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 23, 2006
        Congrats!!! I hope your day is just wonderful!

        akashalareine <akashalareine@...> wrote: Good day to all.
        Could anyone help me find out if one can have a marriage ceremony at
        Estrella War XXIII? My boyfriend and I have decided to get married
        and we are interested in having it at the next war. I know that a
        marriage licence would be required, but aside from that I am at a
        loss. Any help is greatly appreciated. ~Ysabel de Rouen.

        Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

        ---------------------------------

      • Hobbe
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 23, 2006
          Yes, a Marriage License would be required, but you can obtain those up
          to a year in advance from whatever local Gov't agency your state
          requires.

          As for an officiating official, anyone with a valid Ordination from a
          recognized religion may perform the actual ceremony. A bit of research
          may be needed on your part to wade through the regulations. I do know
          that the Universal Life Church ( http://www.ulc.org/ ) is one of the
          larger outfits, but they do seem to still have a few problems being
          recognized is some areas. A better one might be the World Christianship
          Ministries ( http://www.wcm.org/ ) as they are easily recognized in all
          50 States.

          The important part is that you look up and follow the laws for your
          state and follow them as precisely as you can. All the minister really
          does is talk prettily and then sign the form that you have already
          obtained from your County Clerk.

          - Hobbe

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "akashalareine"
          <akashalareine@...> wrote:

          > Good day to all.
          > Could anyone help me find out if one can have a marriage ceremony at
          > Estrella War XXIII? My boyfriend and I have decided to get married
          > and we are interested in having it at the next war. I know that a
          > marriage licence would be required, but aside from that I am at a
          > loss. Any help is greatly appreciated. ~Ysabel de Rouen.

        • Susan B. Farmer
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 23, 2006
            Quoting Hobbe <clanyoungvp@...>:

            > Yes, a Marriage License would be required, but you can obtain those up
            > to a year in advance from whatever local Gov't agency your state
            > requires.

            Um, wouldn't this be the state that the war is being held in rather than
            the state of residence (if the two are different)?

            Jerusha
            -----
            Susan Farmer
            sfarmer@...
            University of Tennessee
          • Hobbe
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 23, 2006
              It seems that you are correct. It pays to do advance research.
              The license must be obtained in the State where the ceremony is
              performed.

              At Estrella it seems you can get your license and be married that same
              day. Pennsic would involve a three day waiting period.
              I guess it takes longer to sober up at Pennsic...

              - Hobbe

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Susan B. Farmer" <sfarmer@...>
              wrote:
              > Um, wouldn't this be the state that the war is being held in rather
              than
              > the state of residence (if the two are different)?
              > Jerusha
            • Jeff Suzuki
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 24, 2006
                About.com has an overview of marriage requirements;
                you may want to check out their site at
                http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriagelicenses/a/usmarlaws.htm

                Of course, you're best off by checking the appropriate
                official websites, but I'd probably look at about.com,
                then verify. My experience is that it's impossible to
                find anything on county/state legal websites...

                Jeffs/etc.

                --- "Medieval Inc." <medievalapothecary@...>

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 24, 2006
                  In a message dated 2/24/2006 5:55:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

                  <<The important part is that you look up and follow the laws for your
                  state and follow them as precisely as you can. All the minister really
                  does is talk prettily and then sign the form that you have already
                  obtained from your County Clerk.>>

                  You also need to follow the rules of the state where you are being married.
                  I know of one instance at Pennsic where there were significant problems with
                  getting one member of the couple onto the site because the couple assumed
                  that the laws in their state were the same as those in PA, and they weren't.
                  I'm not going into any further detail, but as far as I know it resulted in
                  having to scrap the wedding plans at the last moment.

                  Lancaster, PA

                • lesia carpenter
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 6, 2008
                    we met at gulf wars three years back and now we will be having our
                    wedding at 2008 gulf wars and we need some one to perform the vows for
                    us if any one can help PLEASE DO thank you for your time
                    Ben&Lesia
                  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 7, 2008
                      On Monday 07 January 2008 01:03:05 lesia carpenter wrote:
                      > we met at gulf wars three years back and now we will be having our
                      > wedding at 2008 gulf wars and we need some one to perform the vows for
                      > us      if any one can help PLEASE DO     thank you for your time

                      You may want to contact the event organizers for Gulf Wars (they should be
                      listed on the event web site), for a couple of reasons:

                      1. There may be an available list of on-site clergy for weddings.

                      2. If you end up needing to bring someone from outside to officiate, the
                      event staff will let you know the policies for how to do this.

                      I've never been to Gulf Wars, but I know that there are published policies
                      at Pennsic for how to bring in off-site clergy for weddings.

                      Kind regards and congratulations!

                      keys fesswise reversed sable.

                    • Bulgarelli Maria
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 7, 2008
                        First of all, if you don't live in Mississippi you'll
                        need to check the requirements for getting a license.

                        I'd suggest getting in touch with someone in the area
                        to find out if there's a SCAdian who can perform
                        weddings in the area. That person will be able to
                        tell you the requirements for getting a marriage
                        license.

                        If you live in another state you can't use that
                        state's license in another state.

                        Example - I live in Houston. I can't get a license
                        here and then go to Mississippi and get married
                        legally. I'd have to have a legal marriage here and
                        could then do a Handfasting type of thing that isn't
                        legal there. Or I'd have to get a marriage license in
                        Mississippi and then could get married there.

                        Try emailing seneschale.dragounsweal@.... She's
                        the Seneschal of the shire in Hattiesburg which is
                        near the Gulf War Site. She may know someone in the
                        area who can help you.

                        Lady Maria
                        Coastal Regional Chronicler
                        Kingdom of Ansteorra
                        --- lesia carpenter <ben_leeza@...> wrote:

                        > we met at gulf wars three years back and now we will
                        > be having our
                        > wedding at 2008 gulf wars and we need some one to
                        > perform the vows for
                        > us if any one can help PLEASE DO thank you
                        > for your time
                        > Ben&Lesia

                      • bethany_sells
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 7, 2008
                          congratulations!!! how romantic!!

                          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "lesia carpenter" <ben_leeza@...>
                          wrote:

                          > we met at gulf wars three years back and now we will be having our
                          > wedding at 2008 gulf wars and we need some one to perform the vows
                          for
                          > us if any one can help PLEASE DO thank you for your time
                          > Ben&Lesia

                        • PATRICIA BENTLEY
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 9, 2008
                            congratulations on your wedding I think I may have a solution to your problem about someone performing the wedding first if you have someone in mind ask them to do it if they can they have to apply for a special liecense through the local clerks office its something like preist for a day or justice of peace for a day or something like that. go to your county clerks office and ask them about it they should know what you are talking about. If your state allows it
                            Gisele

                            To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: bethany_sells@...: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 19:34:06 +0000Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Re: weddings

                            congratulations!!! how romantic!!--- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "lesia carpenter" <ben_leeza@...> wrote:>> we met at gulf wars three years back and now we will be having our > wedding at 2008 gulf wars and we need some one to perform the vows for > us if any one can help PLEASE DO thank you for your time > Ben&Lesia>

                          • lisa brant
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 9, 2008
                              thank you so much for your help,we did have some one that is a minister that will be there offer to do it for us .i am so excited thank you,lesia

                              PATRICIA BENTLEY <shewolf128@...> wrote:
                              congratulations on your wedding I think I may have a solution to your problem about someone performing the wedding first if you have someone in mind ask them to do it if they can they have to apply for a special liecense through the local clerks office its something like preist for a day or justice of peace for a day or something like that. go to your county clerks office and ask them about it they should know what you are talking about. If your state allows it
                              Gisele

                              To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: bethany_sells@...: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 19:34:06 +0000Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Re: weddings

                              congratulations!!! how romantic!!--- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "lesia carpenter" wrote:>> we met at gulf wars three years back and now we will be having our > wedding at 2008 gulf wars and we need some one to perform the vows for > us if any one can help PLEASE DO thank you for your time > Ben&Lesia>

                              Yahoo! Groups Links