Re: [SCA Newcomers] names, time periods, and locations...

  • alluwolf
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 11, 2006
      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Maria" <scarlettmb@...> wrote:

      > Something else you want to consider is the garb you are going to
      be wearing. If you aren't that great at sewing, you may consider a
      time period that's a little earlier with garb easier to make.
      > You can see where I'm going with this, I think.

      Well, actually, I joined the sca a year and a few weeks ago.

      I couldn't opperate the sewing machine and I couldn't go straight.
      The good thing about the sca is there are lots of people to help and
      support and teach you. I had my first dress practically made for
      me, all I did was the hemming, and the lady that made it taught me
      how, so I could then hem :)
      We had a series of clases in our barony on Elizabethans and I learnt
      how to go straight by doing chemises and farthengales, though i had
      to do that one two and a half tines due to not streaight sewing
      *giggle*
      My friend who's been teaching me sewed my boning channels on my
      corset because she was worried I'd have a mental breakdown if I
      tried to sew that many straight lines.
      She's been helping me heaps with my elizabethan, and anopther lady
      showed me what I was doing wrong with the hooks and eyes, and my
      march I'll have a dress that everyone ooohs and aaaahs about.

      Actually, a lot of us will :) Most of us taking the classes were
      complete newbies with various levels of sewing.

      I would recomend talking to people and getting help at first, even
      if you are a good sewer, medieval and reneasance sewing is
      apparently different enough for it to be confusing (I wouldn't know
      how differen't they are, I don't do any mundane sewing)

      Though if you want Garb in the short term then something easier
      would be best, but if you are prepaired to wait and work on it and
      borrow for a little then there's no need to get something quick and
      easy as starter garb.

      But I picked me peropd completly for the garb.

      Love pretty dresses :D:D
    • Jeff Suzuki
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 13, 2006
        --- James Taylor <jtaylor04@...> wrote:

        > First let me say this: Choosing a persona based on
        > your interests is usually
        > not a good idea. If you stay in the SCA long enough
        > invariably your
        > interests will change - or at the very least
        > broaden.

        There's generally two ways to handle "interest
        broadening." The first is to cry Emerson, and not
        worry about it ("A foolish consistency is the
        hobgobling of little minds").

        The crazy ones (like me) just add personas as we go
        along...

        I have three, because I couldn't reasonably fit all my
        main interests into a single persona. (Some people go
        the "child of a merchant" route, aka "captured by
        pirates", but I didn't want to do it that way)

        I like teaching, especially mathematics (it's also my
        profession), so I have William the Alchymist, the
        stuffy academic...

        I'm also Japanese, with an interest in the Japan of
        the 16th century. And I have an interest in fighting,
        so there's Fujimoto (which is how I started and how a
        lot of people know me).

        I also do performance. There's Alessandro (who does
        commedia dell'arte). Fujimoto also tells stories
        (Asian and Buddhist themed). William writes songs
        (Elizabethan era contrafacts).

        I played around a very little with Isaac, a Byzantine.
        (There's a piece of mathematics that might have been
        known in 10th century Constantinople that was
        completely unknown in the west until the 20th
        century...long story)

        This is why I often sign my posts

        Jeffs/etc.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Patrick Callahan
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 15, 2006
          Patrick Callahan, Ireland, Kingdom of Munster (near present day County Cork)
          in the time
          around 1540. I have three personas to. Number one is an Irish trader or
          merchant, who collects junk and other time period items with the goal of
          selling or trading them. Number two is nomadic monk or a friar, who is
          searching for truth through the study of the beauty of all things. Number
          three is the fool, who plays games and tricks and also gives away thing
          from the merchants shop when he is left in charge there.
        • jbjt30@juno.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 16, 2006
            Patrick Callahan, Ireland, Kingdom of Munster (near present day County Cork)
            in the time
            around 1540. I have three personas to. Number one is an Irish trader or
            merchant, who collects junk and other time period items with the goal of
            selling or trading them. Number two is nomadic monk or a friar, who is
            searching for truth through the study of the beauty of all things. Number
            three is the fool, who plays games and tricks and also gives away thing
            from the merchants shop when he is left in charge there.

            Greetings Patrick,
            It sounds like your having a lot of fun with how you've set up your personas. My mundane name is Julie I was in the SCA over 15 yrs ago passed my name and device and then took a break and had a child and was busy raising my son. Now he has falling in love with the SCA and so rather then make a new persona and go to the trouble of spending time and money resubmitting a new name and device and developing a new persona I took a little different route then you. Instead of having 2 or 3 different personas I just added on to my old person. I now have more interest in the middle east and Asia. My previous persona is German and Scottish which is where my interest lay 15 years ago. So I came up with the idea that Phillippa (my SCA name) "had" to leave Scotland and as a women without a country wandered to the middle east where she made a "new" live for herself and became part of a caravan who wondered the silk road. Where she was assimilated into the middle eastern culture. So when people say "what have you been up to" I can tell them "I have been wondering the dessert for the last 15 years"! That allows me to wear the middle eastern garb I now prefer and because I "play" that I have adopted and been assimilated into, the culture I now live in, it also explains my new name Fa'rissa which means more or less the same thing in Arabic that Phillippa means-"lover of horses". So that's another way you can facilitate persona development in my humble opinion.
            By the way Patrick where did you come up with the email address "dances with salmon"? I got a chuckle out of that, it's really cute. :)
            Good luck to all of you with developing your persona. But a word to the wise don't over think it too much, this is supposed to be fun! So just remember to enjoy yourself whatever persona you decide on! (Which is, from the sound of it, exactly what Patrick is doing!)

            <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

          • j davis
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 16, 2006
              i liked it too. i took a slightly different route. i
              am from a monestery near london. when the great
              crusdae was peached there. i joined the entourage of a
              minor noble. after we took jerusalem, i moved to
              antioche. there i support my self doing some trading.
              but i mainly give aid and succor to pilgrims going to
              and from the holy land. john of antioche

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Patrick Callahan
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
                Greetings Good Gentles:

                Q. So tell me more about yourself and/or your persona?

                A. Myself:
                I received the rank Eagle Scout on October 15, 1990. At the time I was in
                Troop 337 of Katy, Texas. I am member in good standing of the National
                Eagle Scout Association and Brotherhood Member of the Order Of The Arrow (a
                service fraternity, with in the Boy Scouts) in Colonneh Lodge # 137. I am
                also sustaining member of The Society for Creative Anachronism, in the
                Barony of Raven's Fort of the Kingdom Ansteorra.

                I finished Kindergarten through 12th grade. Went to Lon Morris College for
                two years. I currently have no certifications or degrees.

                My favorite books are: The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans, Crossing The
                Threshold Of Hope by His Holiness John Paul II, Leaves Of Grass by Walt
                Whitman, The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery, Harry Potter: And
                The Chamber Of Secrets by J. K. Rowling, The Holy Bible: Authorized King
                James Version, Diligently Compared And Revised By His Majesty's Special
                Command, The Comedy Of Errors by William Shakespeare, The House At Pooh
                Corner by A. A. Milne, The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle, The Last Of The
                Mohicans by James Fennimore Cooper, News From Lake Wobegon and More by
                Garrison Keillor, Contact by Carl Sagan, Rootabaga Stories by Carl Sandburg,
                Lakota Woman by Mary Crow Dog, Little Turtle Miami Chief by Jean Carper and
                Grace L. Dickerson, Dreamers Without Power: The Menominee Indians by George
                and Louise Spindle.

                My favorite games: SENET (ancient Egyptian) PENTE (invented by Gary Gabrel,
                in 1973, though often played at the SCA) POG (reintroduced by Blossom
                Galbiso in 1991, based on milk cap games she enjoyed as a child) The name
                POG comes from the passion fruit, orange, guava juice caps produced by the
                Haleakala Dairy in Maui, which are often used as disks in the game.

                My favorite movies are: Last Of The Mohicans starring Daniel Day-Lewis,
                Dances With Wolves starring Kevin Costner, Smoke Signals starring Gary
                Farmer, Ever After: A Cinderella Story starring Drew Barrymore, Bicentennial
                Man starring Robin Williams, William Shakespeare's Romeo And Juliet starring
                Leonardo DiCaprio, Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas starring Boris
                Karloff, Iron Will starring Kevin Spacey.

                My favorite quotes are: "In necessary things, unity; in doubtful things,
                liberty; in all things, charity."

                My hobbies are: Renaissance reenactments, SCA camping, or anything outdoors.
                I am a looking for friendship and people to chat with. I enjoy: kite
                flying, throwing tomahawks, keeping the Word Of Wisdom and Law Of Chastity,
                crafts, some times I do beadwork, collecting (SCA time period) junk to trade
                and sell, Going to Church, Loving my wife, and trying be a better person.

                I am a Christian, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day
                Saints, and a Priesthood Holder. I am dedicated to serving others and
                making the world a better place.

                I am: Patrick M. Callahan, born January 1, 1973, e-mail:
                naspiritwalker@..., location: Cleveland, Texas, which is about 45
                minuets north of Houston on Interstate 59, Happily Married, If you have
                any questions about me I would love to talk to you more.

                My occupation is: general labor, I work on an assembly line, powder coating
                metal panels for Electrical Control Buildings.

                A. My Personas:
                My Personas are pseudo-historical and poorly documented. Not that I want
                them to be that way but I have not done all my research and the fun of
                reenacting got in the road. The idea that 'medieval is where ever you find
                it' works for me. If a drinking song from the United States revolutionary
                war sounds medieval I might well use it, etc. I would like it to be
                documentable but it all comes down to fun rules supreme with me.

                I do read what I can about the time period and do some research on line. My
                garments for example are similar to those worn by wealthy Irishmen in the
                1500's. I am dyslexic though and it is a slow process for me to read, a
                book or anything thing longer than an few pages.

                Q. Did you say you live in Texas?

                A. Cleveland, Texas, which is about 45 minuets north of Houston on
                Interstate 59.

                Q. Now what Kingdom did you say that was? My kingdom is the Outlands of
                course.

                A. I am in the Kingdom Ansteorra. I really, did not, know that you were
                from 'Outlands' since I know very little society geography inside or
                outside Ansteorra. I am happy to have discovered a kingdom previously
                unknown to me however. Thank you; very much. :)

                Yours In Service Of The Dream:

                Lost and Confused
                Aka. Patrick Callahan
              • hedwigvonluneborg
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
                  What a very small world we live in indeed! My husband and I met at
                  Lon Morris College. He too is an Eagle Scout and a member of the
                  Brotherhood of the Order of the Arrow. (When he sees this thread
                  later today he'll probably post and correct all my mistakes about his
                  past LOL). We were at LMC in 1989 and 1990ish (my memory is a bit
                  foggy now…two kids and all). We are in Ansteorra (Loch Soilleir).
                  Wow…what strange coincidences huh?

                  Hedwig Von Luneborg
                  m.k.a. Melissa __________ (can't tell you my last name sorry…)