RE: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Hi everyone

  • Melissa Carter
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2006
      Speaking as a herald :
      I can tell you this...you do not HAVE to register a name at the same time you do your device but you do HAVE to have a name associated with it or it will be returned for lack of a name. HOWEVER, they will create a holding name for you until you get a name registered. Your holding name becomes your registered name until you decide to register a persona (society) name. There is no charge for a holding name.
      Having said this I suggest you wait awhile to register your arms until you find a name you'd like to register as well. You may get your device all done up and registered and then find that the persona you chose doesn't mesh with what you have as your device. Some people really want their device to go along with their persona (I.E. Mongols didn't really like or trust cats so you might not want a cat [lion, griffin] on your device) but then you might not care that much either. It depends on how authentic you end up being.

      It just ends up being the best idea in the long run to register a name with your device. Less headache for you and your herald if you do it all at once. It really isn't a good idea to not register a name with a device in my humble herald's (and most heralds aren't that humble )opinion.

      Hedwig von Luneborg