Re: [SCA Newcomers] names, time periods, and locations...

  • Maria
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 10, 2006
      Something else you want to consider is the garb you are going to be wearing. If you aren't that great at sewing, you may consider a time period that's a little earlier with garb easier to make.

      I wanted to be 15th C. Italian. I looked at some patterns. Wouldn't have tried them for anything in the world. I'm just not that good a seemstress. So I widened my search on time periods. I still wanted Italian, but found a really easy surcoat pattern that was worn by 14th c. Italian women (1350's actually). It's really easy.

      So unless you have someone who will make garb for you that really knows what they're doing ...

      You can see where I'm going with this, I think.

      In Service to the Dream,
      Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici, SSG
      Maria Buchanan
      Official Worrier of House Starfire
      Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
      Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
      In the Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra
      281-433-0347
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 11, 2006
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Maria" <scarlettmb@...> wrote:

        > Something else you want to consider is the garb you are going to
        be wearing. If you aren't that great at sewing, you may consider a
        time period that's a little earlier with garb easier to make.
        > You can see where I'm going with this, I think.

        Well, actually, I joined the sca a year and a few weeks ago.

        I couldn't opperate the sewing machine and I couldn't go straight.
        The good thing about the sca is there are lots of people to help and
        support and teach you. I had my first dress practically made for
        me, all I did was the hemming, and the lady that made it taught me
        how, so I could then hem :)
        We had a series of clases in our barony on Elizabethans and I learnt
        how to go straight by doing chemises and farthengales, though i had
        to do that one two and a half tines due to not streaight sewing
        *giggle*
        My friend who's been teaching me sewed my boning channels on my
        corset because she was worried I'd have a mental breakdown if I
        tried to sew that many straight lines.
        She's been helping me heaps with my elizabethan, and anopther lady
        showed me what I was doing wrong with the hooks and eyes, and my
        march I'll have a dress that everyone ooohs and aaaahs about.

        Actually, a lot of us will :) Most of us taking the classes were
        complete newbies with various levels of sewing.

        I would recomend talking to people and getting help at first, even
        if you are a good sewer, medieval and reneasance sewing is
        apparently different enough for it to be confusing (I wouldn't know
        how differen't they are, I don't do any mundane sewing)

        Though if you want Garb in the short term then something easier
        would be best, but if you are prepaired to wait and work on it and
        borrow for a little then there's no need to get something quick and
        easy as starter garb.

        But I picked me peropd completly for the garb.

        Love pretty dresses :D:D
      • Jeff Suzuki
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 13, 2006
          --- James Taylor <jtaylor04@...> wrote:

          > First let me say this: Choosing a persona based on
          > your interests is usually
          > not a good idea. If you stay in the SCA long enough
          > invariably your
          > interests will change - or at the very least
          > broaden.

          There's generally two ways to handle "interest
          broadening." The first is to cry Emerson, and not
          worry about it ("A foolish consistency is the
          hobgobling of little minds").

          The crazy ones (like me) just add personas as we go
          along...

          I have three, because I couldn't reasonably fit all my
          main interests into a single persona. (Some people go
          the "child of a merchant" route, aka "captured by
          pirates", but I didn't want to do it that way)

          I like teaching, especially mathematics (it's also my
          profession), so I have William the Alchymist, the
          stuffy academic...

          I'm also Japanese, with an interest in the Japan of
          the 16th century. And I have an interest in fighting,
          so there's Fujimoto (which is how I started and how a
          lot of people know me).

          I also do performance. There's Alessandro (who does
          commedia dell'arte). Fujimoto also tells stories
          (Asian and Buddhist themed). William writes songs
          (Elizabethan era contrafacts).

          I played around a very little with Isaac, a Byzantine.
          (There's a piece of mathematics that might have been
          known in 10th century Constantinople that was
          completely unknown in the west until the 20th
          century...long story)

          This is why I often sign my posts

          Jeffs/etc.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Patrick Callahan
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 15, 2006
            Patrick Callahan, Ireland, Kingdom of Munster (near present day County Cork)
            in the time
            around 1540. I have three personas to. Number one is an Irish trader or
            merchant, who collects junk and other time period items with the goal of
            selling or trading them. Number two is nomadic monk or a friar, who is
            searching for truth through the study of the beauty of all things. Number
            three is the fool, who plays games and tricks and also gives away thing
            from the merchants shop when he is left in charge there.
          • jbjt30@juno.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 16, 2006
              Patrick Callahan, Ireland, Kingdom of Munster (near present day County Cork)
              in the time
              around 1540. I have three personas to. Number one is an Irish trader or
              merchant, who collects junk and other time period items with the goal of
              selling or trading them. Number two is nomadic monk or a friar, who is
              searching for truth through the study of the beauty of all things. Number
              three is the fool, who plays games and tricks and also gives away thing
              from the merchants shop when he is left in charge there.

              Greetings Patrick,
              It sounds like your having a lot of fun with how you've set up your personas. My mundane name is Julie I was in the SCA over 15 yrs ago passed my name and device and then took a break and had a child and was busy raising my son. Now he has falling in love with the SCA and so rather then make a new persona and go to the trouble of spending time and money resubmitting a new name and device and developing a new persona I took a little different route then you. Instead of having 2 or 3 different personas I just added on to my old person. I now have more interest in the middle east and Asia. My previous persona is German and Scottish which is where my interest lay 15 years ago. So I came up with the idea that Phillippa (my SCA name) "had" to leave Scotland and as a women without a country wandered to the middle east where she made a "new" live for herself and became part of a caravan who wondered the silk road. Where she was assimilated into the middle eastern culture. So when people say "what have you been up to" I can tell them "I have been wondering the dessert for the last 15 years"! That allows me to wear the middle eastern garb I now prefer and because I "play" that I have adopted and been assimilated into, the culture I now live in, it also explains my new name Fa'rissa which means more or less the same thing in Arabic that Phillippa means-"lover of horses". So that's another way you can facilitate persona development in my humble opinion.
              By the way Patrick where did you come up with the email address "dances with salmon"? I got a chuckle out of that, it's really cute. :)
              Good luck to all of you with developing your persona. But a word to the wise don't over think it too much, this is supposed to be fun! So just remember to enjoy yourself whatever persona you decide on! (Which is, from the sound of it, exactly what Patrick is doing!)

              <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

            • j davis
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 16, 2006
                i liked it too. i took a slightly different route. i
                am from a monestery near london. when the great
                crusdae was peached there. i joined the entourage of a
                minor noble. after we took jerusalem, i moved to
                antioche. there i support my self doing some trading.
                but i mainly give aid and succor to pilgrims going to
                and from the holy land. john of antioche

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Patrick Callahan
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
                  Greetings Good Gentles:

                  Q. So tell me more about yourself and/or your persona?

                  A. Myself:
                  I received the rank Eagle Scout on October 15, 1990. At the time I was in
                  Troop 337 of Katy, Texas. I am member in good standing of the National
                  Eagle Scout Association and Brotherhood Member of the Order Of The Arrow (a
                  service fraternity, with in the Boy Scouts) in Colonneh Lodge # 137. I am
                  also sustaining member of The Society for Creative Anachronism, in the
                  Barony of Raven's Fort of the Kingdom Ansteorra.

                  I finished Kindergarten through 12th grade. Went to Lon Morris College for
                  two years. I currently have no certifications or degrees.

                  My favorite books are: The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans, Crossing The
                  Threshold Of Hope by His Holiness John Paul II, Leaves Of Grass by Walt
                  Whitman, The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery, Harry Potter: And
                  The Chamber Of Secrets by J. K. Rowling, The Holy Bible: Authorized King
                  James Version, Diligently Compared And Revised By His Majesty's Special
                  Command, The Comedy Of Errors by William Shakespeare, The House At Pooh
                  Corner by A. A. Milne, The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle, The Last Of The
                  Mohicans by James Fennimore Cooper, News From Lake Wobegon and More by
                  Garrison Keillor, Contact by Carl Sagan, Rootabaga Stories by Carl Sandburg,
                  Lakota Woman by Mary Crow Dog, Little Turtle Miami Chief by Jean Carper and
                  Grace L. Dickerson, Dreamers Without Power: The Menominee Indians by George
                  and Louise Spindle.

                  My favorite games: SENET (ancient Egyptian) PENTE (invented by Gary Gabrel,
                  in 1973, though often played at the SCA) POG (reintroduced by Blossom
                  Galbiso in 1991, based on milk cap games she enjoyed as a child) The name
                  POG comes from the passion fruit, orange, guava juice caps produced by the
                  Haleakala Dairy in Maui, which are often used as disks in the game.

                  My favorite movies are: Last Of The Mohicans starring Daniel Day-Lewis,
                  Dances With Wolves starring Kevin Costner, Smoke Signals starring Gary
                  Farmer, Ever After: A Cinderella Story starring Drew Barrymore, Bicentennial
                  Man starring Robin Williams, William Shakespeare's Romeo And Juliet starring
                  Leonardo DiCaprio, Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas starring Boris
                  Karloff, Iron Will starring Kevin Spacey.

                  My favorite quotes are: "In necessary things, unity; in doubtful things,
                  liberty; in all things, charity."

                  My hobbies are: Renaissance reenactments, SCA camping, or anything outdoors.
                  I am a looking for friendship and people to chat with. I enjoy: kite
                  flying, throwing tomahawks, keeping the Word Of Wisdom and Law Of Chastity,
                  crafts, some times I do beadwork, collecting (SCA time period) junk to trade
                  and sell, Going to Church, Loving my wife, and trying be a better person.

                  I am a Christian, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day
                  Saints, and a Priesthood Holder. I am dedicated to serving others and
                  making the world a better place.

                  I am: Patrick M. Callahan, born January 1, 1973, e-mail:
                  naspiritwalker@..., location: Cleveland, Texas, which is about 45
                  minuets north of Houston on Interstate 59, Happily Married, If you have
                  any questions about me I would love to talk to you more.

                  My occupation is: general labor, I work on an assembly line, powder coating
                  metal panels for Electrical Control Buildings.

                  A. My Personas:
                  My Personas are pseudo-historical and poorly documented. Not that I want
                  them to be that way but I have not done all my research and the fun of
                  reenacting got in the road. The idea that 'medieval is where ever you find
                  it' works for me. If a drinking song from the United States revolutionary
                  war sounds medieval I might well use it, etc. I would like it to be
                  documentable but it all comes down to fun rules supreme with me.

                  I do read what I can about the time period and do some research on line. My
                  garments for example are similar to those worn by wealthy Irishmen in the
                  1500's. I am dyslexic though and it is a slow process for me to read, a
                  book or anything thing longer than an few pages.

                  Q. Did you say you live in Texas?

                  A. Cleveland, Texas, which is about 45 minuets north of Houston on
                  Interstate 59.

                  Q. Now what Kingdom did you say that was? My kingdom is the Outlands of
                  course.

                  A. I am in the Kingdom Ansteorra. I really, did not, know that you were
                  from 'Outlands' since I know very little society geography inside or
                  outside Ansteorra. I am happy to have discovered a kingdom previously
                  unknown to me however. Thank you; very much. :)

                  Yours In Service Of The Dream:

                  Lost and Confused
                  Aka. Patrick Callahan
                • hedwigvonluneborg
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
                    What a very small world we live in indeed! My husband and I met at
                    Lon Morris College. He too is an Eagle Scout and a member of the
                    Brotherhood of the Order of the Arrow. (When he sees this thread
                    later today he'll probably post and correct all my mistakes about his
                    past LOL). We were at LMC in 1989 and 1990ish (my memory is a bit
                    foggy now…two kids and all). We are in Ansteorra (Loch Soilleir).
                    Wow…what strange coincidences huh?

                    Hedwig Von Luneborg
                    m.k.a. Melissa __________ (can't tell you my last name sorry…)