Re: [SCA Newcomers] names, time periods, and locations...

  • Sydney Walker Freedman
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 10, 2006
      English! There archers were infamous during the Hundred Years War
      (14th-15th centuries).
      > Hi everyone, I'm new to SCA, and I can't wait to get started. I've
      > been sick and home from school for the past couple of days so I've
      > spent a lot of that time researching time periods and places on the
      > net. I'm searching 'cause I'd like to have a very in-depth persona
      > because I find these things extremely interesting and I love doing
      > research. I'm going to go to the library once I feel better, but for
      > now I've got the computer.
      >
      > So... I'm wondering if you guys could reccomend some good sites for
      > me? That have different time periods, and places, etc. Or if you
      > could even suggest a time period/place that involves my interests?
      > (im interested in archery and equestrian games mainly - i was thinking
      > spain or greece since they are known for their horses, but i'm not
      > sure i like the clothing, but i'm really open to anything at this
      > point).
      >
      > Thanks so much to anyone who helps me out! I really appreciate it.

      > Medieval and renaissance costume
      > Society for creative anachronism
      > Medieval time dinner and tournament
      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Pax Christi,
      Sydney
    • James Taylor
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 10, 2006
        First let me say this: Choosing a persona based on your interests is usually
        not a good idea. If you stay in the SCA long enough invariably your
        interests will change - or at the very least broaden. You should choose a
        time period and culture based on your interest in the the period, not trying
        to shoehorn all of your interests into one neat little package.
        If you don't know that much about a period then pick something you think you
        might like and learn all you can about it. Some things to think about are
        what style of garb you want to wear and what type of schtick you want
        to play out ;). Then make the decision to create a persona.
        And even after you've decided on a persona you shouldn't feel like you have
        to play in one time frame. For example, some of the best Elizabethan garb
        I've seen was worn by a lady whose persona is 9th century norse.

        That being said, if you are interested in archery and equestrian, some of
        the best horse archers I can think of were the Mongols and the Huns.

        Imbicatus

        On 2/10/06, Sydney Walker Freedman <freedmas@...> wrote:

        > English! There archers were infamous during the Hundred Years War
        > (14th-15th centuries).
        > > Hi everyone, I'm new to SCA, and I can't wait to get started. I've
        > > been sick and home from school for the past couple of days so I've
        > > spent a lot of that time researching time periods and places on the
        > > net. I'm searching 'cause I'd like to have a very in-depth persona
        > > because I find these things extremely interesting and I love doing
        > > research. I'm going to go to the library once I feel better, but for
        > > now I've got the computer.
        > >
        > > So... I'm wondering if you guys could reccomend some good sites for
        > > me? That have different time periods, and places, etc. Or if you
        > > could even suggest a time period/place that involves my interests?
        > > (im interested in archery and equestrian games mainly - i was thinking
        > > spain or greece since they are known for their horses, but i'm not
        > > sure i like the clothing, but i'm really open to anything at this
        > > point).
        > >
        > > Thanks so much to anyone who helps me out! I really appreciate it.

        > > Medieval and renaissance costume
        > > Society for creative anachronism
        > > Medieval time dinner and tournament
        > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        > > Visit your group "scanewcomers" on the web.
        > Service.
        > >

        > Pax Christi,
        > Sydney

      • alluwolf
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 10, 2006
          I would definatly agree with not picking your persona around your
          interests. Your persona is not what it does. I, for example, are a
          16th century english women. My father's a wealthy merchent that I
          never see, my mother died birthing me and my step mother (my father
          remarried after my mother died as she hadn't produced him a son)
          died in the same feever that took one of my step brothers, and I've
          lived abroad after my mother died with my cousines on my mothers
          side, and so on. Thats my persona.
          I like embriodery, and that is something my persona does. I am not,
          however, and embrioder, Its just something I do, not what I am.
          Now, if I want to do some anglo saxon embriodery, I don't need to
          change my persona. Its just something my persona is doing,
          some 'foreign' embriodery if anyone commented on the different
          design and stitches.
          I am also interested in making Jewerly, and I will make it for my
          persona, but that is something I do, not my persona, so I am not a
          jewler.
          I also like eating at feasts, so does my persona, but that does not
          make me an eaterer *giggles* maybe it does.

          Now, thats not to say your persona can't be, say, a 15th century
          english archer, but if you become interested in blacksmithing, don't
          think your persona has to become a blacksmith who is also a 15th
          century english archer who lives in spain and is also a historian
          and so sometimes wears old clothes from 500 years ago and is a cook
          and a merchent and a mercenery.....

          It just gets confusing.

          I would have a look around at clothin of different time periods
          prehaps, and see if any take your fancy. I chose my period cos I
          love the pretty dresses. Or maybe there is a cuntry or time or
          culture that interests you. And don't be shy of wearing viking in
          the day and 'bethan at night if it takes your fancy. I plan on
          doing a viking sometime, cos my friend who used to be queen does
          Viking, and she has lots of cool jewlery, so I think it might be
          fun. I'm also making a whole heap of flemish kirtles for day and
          tournies and such. Now thats not to say you can't STICK to a period
          and place, just it isn't required.

          Good luck!
        • Maria
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 10, 2006
            Something else you want to consider is the garb you are going to be wearing. If you aren't that great at sewing, you may consider a time period that's a little earlier with garb easier to make.

            I wanted to be 15th C. Italian. I looked at some patterns. Wouldn't have tried them for anything in the world. I'm just not that good a seemstress. So I widened my search on time periods. I still wanted Italian, but found a really easy surcoat pattern that was worn by 14th c. Italian women (1350's actually). It's really easy.

            So unless you have someone who will make garb for you that really knows what they're doing ...

            You can see where I'm going with this, I think.

            In Service to the Dream,
            Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici, SSG
            Maria Buchanan
            Official Worrier of House Starfire
            Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
            Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
            In the Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra
            281-433-0347

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 11, 2006
              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Maria" <scarlettmb@...> wrote:

              > Something else you want to consider is the garb you are going to
              be wearing. If you aren't that great at sewing, you may consider a
              time period that's a little earlier with garb easier to make.
              > You can see where I'm going with this, I think.

              Well, actually, I joined the sca a year and a few weeks ago.

              I couldn't opperate the sewing machine and I couldn't go straight.
              The good thing about the sca is there are lots of people to help and
              support and teach you. I had my first dress practically made for
              me, all I did was the hemming, and the lady that made it taught me
              how, so I could then hem :)
              We had a series of clases in our barony on Elizabethans and I learnt
              how to go straight by doing chemises and farthengales, though i had
              to do that one two and a half tines due to not streaight sewing
              *giggle*
              My friend who's been teaching me sewed my boning channels on my
              corset because she was worried I'd have a mental breakdown if I
              tried to sew that many straight lines.
              She's been helping me heaps with my elizabethan, and anopther lady
              showed me what I was doing wrong with the hooks and eyes, and my
              march I'll have a dress that everyone ooohs and aaaahs about.

              Actually, a lot of us will :) Most of us taking the classes were
              complete newbies with various levels of sewing.

              I would recomend talking to people and getting help at first, even
              if you are a good sewer, medieval and reneasance sewing is
              apparently different enough for it to be confusing (I wouldn't know
              how differen't they are, I don't do any mundane sewing)

              Though if you want Garb in the short term then something easier
              would be best, but if you are prepaired to wait and work on it and
              borrow for a little then there's no need to get something quick and
              easy as starter garb.

              But I picked me peropd completly for the garb.

              Love pretty dresses :D:D
            • Jeff Suzuki
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 13, 2006
                --- James Taylor <jtaylor04@...> wrote:

                > First let me say this: Choosing a persona based on
                > your interests is usually
                > not a good idea. If you stay in the SCA long enough
                > invariably your
                > interests will change - or at the very least
                > broaden.

                There's generally two ways to handle "interest
                broadening." The first is to cry Emerson, and not
                worry about it ("A foolish consistency is the
                hobgobling of little minds").

                The crazy ones (like me) just add personas as we go
                along...

                I have three, because I couldn't reasonably fit all my
                main interests into a single persona. (Some people go
                the "child of a merchant" route, aka "captured by
                pirates", but I didn't want to do it that way)

                I like teaching, especially mathematics (it's also my
                profession), so I have William the Alchymist, the
                stuffy academic...

                I'm also Japanese, with an interest in the Japan of
                the 16th century. And I have an interest in fighting,
                so there's Fujimoto (which is how I started and how a
                lot of people know me).

                I also do performance. There's Alessandro (who does
                commedia dell'arte). Fujimoto also tells stories
                (Asian and Buddhist themed). William writes songs
                (Elizabethan era contrafacts).

                I played around a very little with Isaac, a Byzantine.
                (There's a piece of mathematics that might have been
                known in 10th century Constantinople that was
                completely unknown in the west until the 20th
                century...long story)

                This is why I often sign my posts

                Jeffs/etc.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Patrick Callahan
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 15, 2006
                  Patrick Callahan, Ireland, Kingdom of Munster (near present day County Cork)
                  in the time
                  around 1540. I have three personas to. Number one is an Irish trader or
                  merchant, who collects junk and other time period items with the goal of
                  selling or trading them. Number two is nomadic monk or a friar, who is
                  searching for truth through the study of the beauty of all things. Number
                  three is the fool, who plays games and tricks and also gives away thing
                  from the merchants shop when he is left in charge there.
                • jbjt30@juno.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 16, 2006
                    Patrick Callahan, Ireland, Kingdom of Munster (near present day County Cork)
                    in the time
                    around 1540. I have three personas to. Number one is an Irish trader or
                    merchant, who collects junk and other time period items with the goal of
                    selling or trading them. Number two is nomadic monk or a friar, who is
                    searching for truth through the study of the beauty of all things. Number
                    three is the fool, who plays games and tricks and also gives away thing
                    from the merchants shop when he is left in charge there.

                    Greetings Patrick,
                    It sounds like your having a lot of fun with how you've set up your personas. My mundane name is Julie I was in the SCA over 15 yrs ago passed my name and device and then took a break and had a child and was busy raising my son. Now he has falling in love with the SCA and so rather then make a new persona and go to the trouble of spending time and money resubmitting a new name and device and developing a new persona I took a little different route then you. Instead of having 2 or 3 different personas I just added on to my old person. I now have more interest in the middle east and Asia. My previous persona is German and Scottish which is where my interest lay 15 years ago. So I came up with the idea that Phillippa (my SCA name) "had" to leave Scotland and as a women without a country wandered to the middle east where she made a "new" live for herself and became part of a caravan who wondered the silk road. Where she was assimilated into the middle eastern culture. So when people say "what have you been up to" I can tell them "I have been wondering the dessert for the last 15 years"! That allows me to wear the middle eastern garb I now prefer and because I "play" that I have adopted and been assimilated into, the culture I now live in, it also explains my new name Fa'rissa which means more or less the same thing in Arabic that Phillippa means-"lover of horses". So that's another way you can facilitate persona development in my humble opinion.
                    By the way Patrick where did you come up with the email address "dances with salmon"? I got a chuckle out of that, it's really cute. :)
                    Good luck to all of you with developing your persona. But a word to the wise don't over think it too much, this is supposed to be fun! So just remember to enjoy yourself whatever persona you decide on! (Which is, from the sound of it, exactly what Patrick is doing!)

                    <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

                  • j davis
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 16, 2006
                      i liked it too. i took a slightly different route. i
                      am from a monestery near london. when the great
                      crusdae was peached there. i joined the entourage of a
                      minor noble. after we took jerusalem, i moved to
                      antioche. there i support my self doing some trading.
                      but i mainly give aid and succor to pilgrims going to
                      and from the holy land. john of antioche

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Patrick Callahan
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
                        Greetings Good Gentles:

                        Q. So tell me more about yourself and/or your persona?

                        A. Myself:
                        I received the rank Eagle Scout on October 15, 1990. At the time I was in
                        Troop 337 of Katy, Texas. I am member in good standing of the National
                        Eagle Scout Association and Brotherhood Member of the Order Of The Arrow (a
                        service fraternity, with in the Boy Scouts) in Colonneh Lodge # 137. I am
                        also sustaining member of The Society for Creative Anachronism, in the
                        Barony of Raven's Fort of the Kingdom Ansteorra.

                        I finished Kindergarten through 12th grade. Went to Lon Morris College for
                        two years. I currently have no certifications or degrees.

                        My favorite books are: The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans, Crossing The
                        Threshold Of Hope by His Holiness John Paul II, Leaves Of Grass by Walt
                        Whitman, The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery, Harry Potter: And
                        The Chamber Of Secrets by J. K. Rowling, The Holy Bible: Authorized King
                        James Version, Diligently Compared And Revised By His Majesty's Special
                        Command, The Comedy Of Errors by William Shakespeare, The House At Pooh
                        Corner by A. A. Milne, The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle, The Last Of The
                        Mohicans by James Fennimore Cooper, News From Lake Wobegon and More by
                        Garrison Keillor, Contact by Carl Sagan, Rootabaga Stories by Carl Sandburg,
                        Lakota Woman by Mary Crow Dog, Little Turtle Miami Chief by Jean Carper and
                        Grace L. Dickerson, Dreamers Without Power: The Menominee Indians by George
                        and Louise Spindle.

                        My favorite games: SENET (ancient Egyptian) PENTE (invented by Gary Gabrel,
                        in 1973, though often played at the SCA) POG (reintroduced by Blossom
                        Galbiso in 1991, based on milk cap games she enjoyed as a child) The name
                        POG comes from the passion fruit, orange, guava juice caps produced by the
                        Haleakala Dairy in Maui, which are often used as disks in the game.

                        My favorite movies are: Last Of The Mohicans starring Daniel Day-Lewis,
                        Dances With Wolves starring Kevin Costner, Smoke Signals starring Gary
                        Farmer, Ever After: A Cinderella Story starring Drew Barrymore, Bicentennial
                        Man starring Robin Williams, William Shakespeare's Romeo And Juliet starring
                        Leonardo DiCaprio, Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas starring Boris
                        Karloff, Iron Will starring Kevin Spacey.

                        My favorite quotes are: "In necessary things, unity; in doubtful things,
                        liberty; in all things, charity."

                        My hobbies are: Renaissance reenactments, SCA camping, or anything outdoors.
                        I am a looking for friendship and people to chat with. I enjoy: kite
                        flying, throwing tomahawks, keeping the Word Of Wisdom and Law Of Chastity,
                        crafts, some times I do beadwork, collecting (SCA time period) junk to trade
                        and sell, Going to Church, Loving my wife, and trying be a better person.

                        I am a Christian, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day
                        Saints, and a Priesthood Holder. I am dedicated to serving others and
                        making the world a better place.

                        I am: Patrick M. Callahan, born January 1, 1973, e-mail:
                        naspiritwalker@..., location: Cleveland, Texas, which is about 45
                        minuets north of Houston on Interstate 59, Happily Married, If you have
                        any questions about me I would love to talk to you more.

                        My occupation is: general labor, I work on an assembly line, powder coating
                        metal panels for Electrical Control Buildings.

                        A. My Personas:
                        My Personas are pseudo-historical and poorly documented. Not that I want
                        them to be that way but I have not done all my research and the fun of
                        reenacting got in the road. The idea that 'medieval is where ever you find
                        it' works for me. If a drinking song from the United States revolutionary
                        war sounds medieval I might well use it, etc. I would like it to be
                        documentable but it all comes down to fun rules supreme with me.

                        I do read what I can about the time period and do some research on line. My
                        garments for example are similar to those worn by wealthy Irishmen in the
                        1500's. I am dyslexic though and it is a slow process for me to read, a
                        book or anything thing longer than an few pages.

                        Q. Did you say you live in Texas?

                        A. Cleveland, Texas, which is about 45 minuets north of Houston on
                        Interstate 59.

                        Q. Now what Kingdom did you say that was? My kingdom is the Outlands of
                        course.

                        A. I am in the Kingdom Ansteorra. I really, did not, know that you were
                        from 'Outlands' since I know very little society geography inside or
                        outside Ansteorra. I am happy to have discovered a kingdom previously
                        unknown to me however. Thank you; very much. :)

                        Yours In Service Of The Dream:

                        Lost and Confused
                        Aka. Patrick Callahan
                      • hedwigvonluneborg
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
                          What a very small world we live in indeed! My husband and I met at
                          Lon Morris College. He too is an Eagle Scout and a member of the
                          Brotherhood of the Order of the Arrow. (When he sees this thread
                          later today he'll probably post and correct all my mistakes about his
                          past LOL). We were at LMC in 1989 and 1990ish (my memory is a bit
                          foggy now…two kids and all). We are in Ansteorra (Loch Soilleir).
                          Wow…what strange coincidences huh?

                          Hedwig Von Luneborg
                          m.k.a. Melissa __________ (can't tell you my last name sorry…)