Re: [SCA Newcomers] Name question (Italian)

  • Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2006
      All three spellings are correct...it just depends on where in "Italy" you
      were. The Tuscan region generally used "Firenze". The Venetians tended to
      use "Fiorenza". And the Napoleonic region flip-flopped between "Firenze"
      and "Florenza".

      But then again, how much of that cultural difference is inspired by mundane
      interpretation and Latinization or modernization...*shrugs* One can only
      speculate.

      But if you're having your persona actually living in Tuscany, "Firenze"
      would be your best bet...although they probably wouldn't have called you
      anything "da Firenze" because you were local to the region. ;)

      Giudo di Niccolo