Re: [SCA Newcomers] Name question (Italian)

  • Maria
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2006
      It's "da" because you are female. That I can definitely tell you. The first name I tried to register was Maria di Modena. They changed it to da because they said I was female. Then they wouldn't register it because there is an ancestor of the current Queen of England who was Maria of Modena.

      As far as Florence is concerned, I'm pretty sure it was Firenze, but I could be wrong. That would be one for the more experienced herald-type people around here.

      Maria
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 8, 2006
        All three spellings are correct...it just depends on where in "Italy" you
        were. The Tuscan region generally used "Firenze". The Venetians tended to
        use "Fiorenza". And the Napoleonic region flip-flopped between "Firenze"
        and "Florenza".

        But then again, how much of that cultural difference is inspired by mundane
        interpretation and Latinization or modernization...*shrugs* One can only
        speculate.

        But if you're having your persona actually living in Tuscany, "Firenze"
        would be your best bet...although they probably wouldn't have called you
        anything "da Firenze" because you were local to the region. ;)

        Giudo di Niccolo