Name question (Italian)

  • Oblique Red
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2006
      Greetings,

      I am trying to develop a name for my late 15th-early 16th century Italian
      persona. The name that I have tentatively come up with is "Margherita di
      Fiorenza." I have a few questions for the gentles on this list:

      -Should it be "di" or "da"? I've seen both.
      -In period, was Florence called "Firenze" or "Fiorenza" or "Florenza" or
      something else entirely? I have found conflicting information.

      Thank you,
      Red

    • Kristine Elliott
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 8, 2006
        On 2/8/06, Oblique Red <obliquered@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > I am trying to develop a name for my late 15th-early 16th century Italian
        > persona. The name that I have tentatively come up with is "Margherita di
        > Fiorenza." I have a few questions for the gentles on this list:
        >
        > -Should it be "di" or "da"? I've seen both.
        > -In period, was Florence called "Firenze" or "Fiorenza" or "Florenza" or
        > something else entirely? I have found conflicting information.
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Red

        According to http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?2744+0 ,
        it should be Margherita da Firenze.

        According to http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/arval/catasto/, Margherita was
        common in Florence in 1427, so it is a good choice for a give name.

        Scolastica
        --
        http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

        "I have come to the conclusion that this administration values loyalty more
        than anything else, more than competence or, frankly, more than the truth."
        Rep. Christopher Shays.