Re: [SCA Newcomers] A greeting and a question

  • Aric Wilisch
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
      My good friend, yesterday I had the great fortune to watch to great
      armies battle for a silver oblong ball and consumed mass quantities of
      ale and spirits during the festivities...

      My brain hurt before I even read this ;)

      Fondest Regards,
      --Alaric de Colville

      <justin@...> wrote:

      > On Sunday 05 February 2006 22:48, Aric Wilisch wrote:
      > > It would seem all of the counties
      > > are represented  EXCEPT Canton :). [...]
      > > Perhaps if enough others reside in
      > > this area, something new could be started.
      >
      > If that is the case, then it simply means that Canton County is part
      of the
      > Barony of Fenix but not part of any of its cantons. If it turns out
      there is
      > enough interest to form a new local group, talk with your Baronial
      Seneschal,
      > who can put you in touch with the New Groups Deputy. Write me
      off-list if you
      > have trouble reaching the right people -- I was the current New
      Groups Deputy's
      > predecessor in office and can help you find the people you need to
      talk with.

      > There is a bit of wordplay that one can apply surrounding this
      situation that
      > is almost too funny for words. I live in Canton, Ohio, and am part of a
      > group (Alderford) that is a canton of the Barony of Brendoken. We
      tried to
      > get the heralds to let us be the Canton of Canton when we formed the
      group
      > eleven years ago, but they nixed that idea pretty quickly. We can't
      because
      > of the way the Heralds cant[*] blazon.
      >
      > [*] The word "cant" without an apostrophe is sometimes used to
      describe the
      > heraldic description (or blazoning) of an heraldic coat of arms.
      >
      > So the situation we now have between your area and ours is:
      >
      > My Canton is a canton in Canton, but my canton is not the Canton
      of Canton
      > since cantons can't be canted that way.
      >
      > Your Canton is not a canton, nor is your canton in Canton. You can
      > create a canton which would be another canton in Canton, but you still
      > can't cant the canton as the Canton of Canton.
      >
      > Does your brain hurt yet? :-)
      >
      > Justin
      >
      > --
      > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
      <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()

      http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      > justin@... PGP Public Key at http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

    • Sydney Walker Freedman
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
        Thanks for the laugh. I really needed after math class. :)

        Pax Christi,
        Sydney
      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 7, 2006
          On Monday 06 February 2006 17:09, Aric Wilisch wrote:
          > My good friend, yesterday I had the great fortune to watch to great
          > armies battle for a silver oblong ball

          Bah! I've seen such contests. That is a sport for little children. Real
          warriors wear armor and use swords and axes and polearms!

          > and consumed mass quantities of
          > ale and spirits during the festivities...

          On the other hand, even children's games have their useful aspects. ;-)

          keys fesswise reversed sable.