Re: [SCA Newcomers] A greeting and a question

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
      On Sunday 05 February 2006 22:48, Aric Wilisch wrote:
      > It would seem all of the counties
      > are represented  EXCEPT Canton :). [...]
      > Perhaps if enough others reside in
      > this area, something new could be started.

      If that is the case, then it simply means that Canton County is part of the
      Barony of Fenix but not part of any of its cantons. If it turns out there is
      enough interest to form a new local group, talk with your Baronial Seneschal,
      who can put you in touch with the New Groups Deputy. Write me off-list if you
      have trouble reaching the right people -- I was the current New Groups Deputy's
      predecessor in office and can help you find the people you need to talk with.

      There is a bit of wordplay that one can apply surrounding this situation that
      is almost too funny for words. I live in Canton, Ohio, and am part of a
      group (Alderford) that is a canton of the Barony of Brendoken. We tried to
      get the heralds to let us be the Canton of Canton when we formed the group
      eleven years ago, but they nixed that idea pretty quickly. We can't because
      of the way the Heralds cant[*] blazon.

      [*] The word "cant" without an apostrophe is sometimes used to describe the
      heraldic description (or blazoning) of an heraldic coat of arms.

      So the situation we now have between your area and ours is:

      My Canton is a canton in Canton, but my canton is not the Canton of Canton
      since cantons can't be canted that way.

      Your Canton is not a canton, nor is your canton in Canton. You can
      create a canton which would be another canton in Canton, but you still
      can't cant the canton as the Canton of Canton.

      Does your brain hurt yet? :-)

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • Aric Wilisch
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
        My good friend, yesterday I had the great fortune to watch to great
        armies battle for a silver oblong ball and consumed mass quantities of
        ale and spirits during the festivities...

        My brain hurt before I even read this ;)

        Fondest Regards,
        --Alaric de Colville

        <justin@...> wrote:

        > On Sunday 05 February 2006 22:48, Aric Wilisch wrote:
        > > It would seem all of the counties
        > > are represented  EXCEPT Canton :). [...]
        > > Perhaps if enough others reside in
        > > this area, something new could be started.
        >
        > If that is the case, then it simply means that Canton County is part
        of the
        > Barony of Fenix but not part of any of its cantons. If it turns out
        there is
        > enough interest to form a new local group, talk with your Baronial
        Seneschal,
        > who can put you in touch with the New Groups Deputy. Write me
        off-list if you
        > have trouble reaching the right people -- I was the current New
        Groups Deputy's
        > predecessor in office and can help you find the people you need to
        talk with.

        > There is a bit of wordplay that one can apply surrounding this
        situation that
        > is almost too funny for words. I live in Canton, Ohio, and am part of a
        > group (Alderford) that is a canton of the Barony of Brendoken. We
        tried to
        > get the heralds to let us be the Canton of Canton when we formed the
        group
        > eleven years ago, but they nixed that idea pretty quickly. We can't
        because
        > of the way the Heralds cant[*] blazon.
        >
        > [*] The word "cant" without an apostrophe is sometimes used to
        describe the
        > heraldic description (or blazoning) of an heraldic coat of arms.
        >
        > So the situation we now have between your area and ours is:
        >
        > My Canton is a canton in Canton, but my canton is not the Canton
        of Canton
        > since cantons can't be canted that way.
        >
        > Your Canton is not a canton, nor is your canton in Canton. You can
        > create a canton which would be another canton in Canton, but you still
        > can't cant the canton as the Canton of Canton.
        >
        > Does your brain hurt yet? :-)
        >
        > Justin
        >
        > --
        > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
        <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()

        http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        > justin@... PGP Public Key at http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

      • Sydney Walker Freedman
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
          Thanks for the laugh. I really needed after math class. :)

          Pax Christi,
          Sydney
        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 7, 2006
            On Monday 06 February 2006 17:09, Aric Wilisch wrote:
            > My good friend, yesterday I had the great fortune to watch to great
            > armies battle for a silver oblong ball

            Bah! I've seen such contests. That is a sport for little children. Real
            warriors wear armor and use swords and axes and polearms!

            > and consumed mass quantities of
            > ale and spirits during the festivities...

            On the other hand, even children's games have their useful aspects. ;-)

            keys fesswise reversed sable.