Re: [SCA Newcomers] A greeting and a question

  • suzanne vaughn
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2006
      Welcome back!!! I am fairly new tot he SCA myself. I also find myself in the middle kingdom. What fine barony do you reside in? My shire of Alderford is in the great barony of Brendoaken.

      Fiona Cawdor

      Sydney Walker Freedman <freedmas@...> wrote:
      Greetings, good gentle!

      I cannot speak for others, but I did not take any aspects of my
      persona from actual historical people, but I used quite a few
      historical concepts, of course. For example, my persona is a woman
      trouvere. Since SCA personae are not actual historical figures, have
      fun and come up with someone who could have existed within your given
      place and time period (what are they, by the way?). As far as
      information regarding how you got your name and such, don't sweat it
      too much. It doesn't have to be extremely specific. For example, I
      dnow my parents names, where they lived, what their
      occupations/positions in society were, and that's about it.
      I hope this helps.

      Pax Christi,
      Cecilia de Cambrige
      (late 12th-century Anglo-Norman)

      > Greetings from the Middle Kingdom.
      >
      > I find myself returning to the SCA after a 2 year absense. This time
      > around I am hoping to make much more of myself and as such am working
      > to build a completely new persona (I never did put much time into the
      > last one).
      >
      > With that in mind, I am curious just how much of ones persona one
      > makes up and how much one pulls from actual history. I have found a
      > time frame, and a family name but there are some things I'm not
      > certain how to accomplish, such as the name of my father and history
      > behind how I came to have my name. I am planning on speaking with my
      > barony's herald as soon as I have something a little more solid
      > written out, but I thought I would pose the question here to see what
      > kind of answers I might get :) I can, of course, post what I have thus
      > far here if anyone would care to comment on what I have. I'm rather
      > taken with the first name I've chosen (the only thing I'm carrying
      > over from my previous SCA time), so I'm attempting to match everything
      > else around it.
      >
      > It is an honor to be among you again, and I look forward to perhaps
      > meeting some of you in the near future.
      >
      > Warmest Regards,
      > --Aric
      > Hopefully soon to be Alaric de Colville

      > Medieval and renaissance costume
      > Society for creative anachronism
      > Medieval time dinner and tournament
      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Pax Christi,
      Sydney

      Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

      ---------------------------------

    • Aric Wilisch
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 5, 2006
        Many thanks for the good advise. With that in mind my research is
        almost done :)

        To answer both questions with but one message, my timeframe and
        location would be around 1297 (still debating on a more exact date) in
        the barony of Kinnaird which resides in Stirlingshire Scotland.
        Because the Baroness of my house gave fealty to Edward of England, I
        used to spend much time dashing back and forth between Kinnaird and
        the English court serving as messenger (I'm sure more details will
        come about in the future :). I am a tracker by trade, my services
        being used by both English and Scottish alike which gives me great
        pleasure as I get to do my fair share of travelling. While cities have
        their uses, I find the road is a far less complex place to be a times.

        As for myself, I reside within the Barony of Fenix. I'm afraid I am
        not certain if where I live has a more specific name within the
        Barony, but I am endevouring to find out :).

        I must admit, questions are a fabulous way to help define one's
        persona. I welcome them all :)

        --Alaric de Colville

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, suzanne vaughn <shyagain22@...>
        wrote:

        > Welcome back!!! I am fairly new tot he SCA myself. I also find
        myself in the middle kingdom. What fine barony do you reside in? My
        shire of Alderford is in the great barony of Brendoaken.

        > Fiona Cawdor
        >
        > Sydney Walker Freedman <freedmas@...> wrote:
        > Greetings, good gentle!
        >
        > I cannot speak for others, but I did not take any aspects of my
        > persona from actual historical people, but I used quite a few
        > historical concepts, of course. For example, my persona is a woman
        > trouvere. Since SCA personae are not actual historical figures, have
        > fun and come up with someone who could have existed within your given
        > place and time period (what are they, by the way?). As far as
        > information regarding how you got your name and such, don't sweat it
        > too much. It doesn't have to be extremely specific. For example, I
        > dnow my parents names, where they lived, what their
        > occupations/positions in society were, and that's about it.
        > I hope this helps.
        >
        > Pax Christi,
        > Cecilia de Cambrige
        > (late 12th-century Anglo-Norman)
        >

        > > Greetings from the Middle Kingdom.
        > >
        > > I find myself returning to the SCA after a 2 year absense. This time
        > > around I am hoping to make much more of myself and as such am working
        > > to build a completely new persona (I never did put much time into the
        > > last one).
        > >
        > > With that in mind, I am curious just how much of ones persona one
        > > makes up and how much one pulls from actual history. I have found a
        > > time frame, and a family name but there are some things I'm not
        > > certain how to accomplish, such as the name of my father and history
        > > behind how I came to have my name. I am planning on speaking with my
        > > barony's herald as soon as I have something a little more solid
        > > written out, but I thought I would pose the question here to see what
        > > kind of answers I might get :) I can, of course, post what I have
        thus
        > > far here if anyone would care to comment on what I have. I'm rather
        > > taken with the first name I've chosen (the only thing I'm carrying
        > > over from my previous SCA time), so I'm attempting to match
        everything
        > > else around it.
        > >
        > > It is an honor to be among you again, and I look forward to perhaps
        > > meeting some of you in the near future.
        > >
        > > Warmest Regards,
        > > --Aric
        > > Hopefully soon to be Alaric de Colville

        > > Medieval and renaissance costume
        > > Society for creative anachronism
        > > Medieval time dinner and tournament
        > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        > > Visit your group "scanewcomers" on the web.
        Service.

        > Pax Christi,
        > Sydney

        > Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative
        anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

        Service.

        > ---------------------------------

      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 5, 2006
          On Sunday 05 February 2006 09:20, Aric Wilisch wrote:
          > As for myself, I reside within the Barony of Fenix. I'm afraid I am
          > not certain if where I live has a more specific name within the
          > Barony, but I am endevouring to find out :).

          http://www.midrealm.org/seneschallorum/#Oaken

          The descriptions of the groups within the Barony of Fenix includes a brief
          notation on their approximate land claim. :-)

          (It just happens by coincidence that I'm the person who maintains this
          database in the Midrealm.)

          keys fesswise reversed sable.

        • Aric Wilisch
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 5, 2006
            Ah yes. I've actually seen this document before. I was unable to find
            any reference to a shire or other location for Canton county. The only
            reference I found for my area was the Barony of Fenix which includes
            Cincinnati, OH and Covington, KY. It would seem all of the counties
            are represented EXCEPT Canton :). Perhaps if enough others reside in
            this area, something new could be started.

            Regards,
            --Alaric de Colville

            <justin@...> wrote:

            > On Sunday 05 February 2006 09:20, Aric Wilisch wrote:
            > > As for myself, I reside within the Barony of Fenix. I'm afraid I am
            > > not certain if where I live has a more specific name within the
            > > Barony, but I am endevouring to find out :).
            >
            > http://www.midrealm.org/seneschallorum/#Oaken
            >
            > The descriptions of the groups within the Barony of Fenix includes a
            brief
            > notation on their approximate land claim. :-)
            >
            > (It just happens by coincidence that I'm the person who maintains this
            > database in the Midrealm.)
            >
            > Justin
            >
            > --
            > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
            <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()

            http://4th.com/sca/justin/

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
              On Sunday 05 February 2006 22:48, Aric Wilisch wrote:
              > It would seem all of the counties
              > are represented  EXCEPT Canton :). [...]
              > Perhaps if enough others reside in
              > this area, something new could be started.

              If that is the case, then it simply means that Canton County is part of the
              Barony of Fenix but not part of any of its cantons. If it turns out there is
              enough interest to form a new local group, talk with your Baronial Seneschal,
              who can put you in touch with the New Groups Deputy. Write me off-list if you
              have trouble reaching the right people -- I was the current New Groups Deputy's
              predecessor in office and can help you find the people you need to talk with.

              There is a bit of wordplay that one can apply surrounding this situation that
              is almost too funny for words. I live in Canton, Ohio, and am part of a
              group (Alderford) that is a canton of the Barony of Brendoken. We tried to
              get the heralds to let us be the Canton of Canton when we formed the group
              eleven years ago, but they nixed that idea pretty quickly. We can't because
              of the way the Heralds cant[*] blazon.

              [*] The word "cant" without an apostrophe is sometimes used to describe the
              heraldic description (or blazoning) of an heraldic coat of arms.

              So the situation we now have between your area and ours is:

              My Canton is a canton in Canton, but my canton is not the Canton of Canton
              since cantons can't be canted that way.

              Your Canton is not a canton, nor is your canton in Canton. You can
              create a canton which would be another canton in Canton, but you still
              can't cant the canton as the Canton of Canton.

              Does your brain hurt yet? :-)

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
                My good friend, yesterday I had the great fortune to watch to great
                armies battle for a silver oblong ball and consumed mass quantities of
                ale and spirits during the festivities...

                My brain hurt before I even read this ;)

                Fondest Regards,
                --Alaric de Colville

                <justin@...> wrote:

                > On Sunday 05 February 2006 22:48, Aric Wilisch wrote:
                > > It would seem all of the counties
                > > are represented  EXCEPT Canton :). [...]
                > > Perhaps if enough others reside in
                > > this area, something new could be started.
                >
                > If that is the case, then it simply means that Canton County is part
                of the
                > Barony of Fenix but not part of any of its cantons. If it turns out
                there is
                > enough interest to form a new local group, talk with your Baronial
                Seneschal,
                > who can put you in touch with the New Groups Deputy. Write me
                off-list if you
                > have trouble reaching the right people -- I was the current New
                Groups Deputy's
                > predecessor in office and can help you find the people you need to
                talk with.

                > There is a bit of wordplay that one can apply surrounding this
                situation that
                > is almost too funny for words. I live in Canton, Ohio, and am part of a
                > group (Alderford) that is a canton of the Barony of Brendoken. We
                tried to
                > get the heralds to let us be the Canton of Canton when we formed the
                group
                > eleven years ago, but they nixed that idea pretty quickly. We can't
                because
                > of the way the Heralds cant[*] blazon.
                >
                > [*] The word "cant" without an apostrophe is sometimes used to
                describe the
                > heraldic description (or blazoning) of an heraldic coat of arms.
                >
                > So the situation we now have between your area and ours is:
                >
                > My Canton is a canton in Canton, but my canton is not the Canton
                of Canton
                > since cantons can't be canted that way.
                >
                > Your Canton is not a canton, nor is your canton in Canton. You can
                > create a canton which would be another canton in Canton, but you still
                > can't cant the canton as the Canton of Canton.
                >
                > Does your brain hurt yet? :-)
                >
                > Justin
                >
                > --
                > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
                <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
                > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed Or two
                > keys fesswise reversed sable.
                >
                > Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio)
                http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                > justin@... PGP Public Key at http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

              • Sydney Walker Freedman
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
                  Thanks for the laugh. I really needed after math class. :)

                  Pax Christi,
                  Sydney
                • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 7, 2006
                    On Monday 06 February 2006 17:09, Aric Wilisch wrote:
                    > My good friend, yesterday I had the great fortune to watch to great
                    > armies battle for a silver oblong ball

                    Bah! I've seen such contests. That is a sport for little children. Real
                    warriors wear armor and use swords and axes and polearms!

                    > and consumed mass quantities of
                    > ale and spirits during the festivities...

                    On the other hand, even children's games have their useful aspects. ;-)

                    keys fesswise reversed sable.