Re: [SCA Newcomers] A greeting and a question

  • Sydney Walker Freedman
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2006
      Greetings, good gentle!

      I cannot speak for others, but I did not take any aspects of my
      persona from actual historical people, but I used quite a few
      historical concepts, of course. For example, my persona is a woman
      trouvere. Since SCA personae are not actual historical figures, have
      fun and come up with someone who could have existed within your given
      place and time period (what are they, by the way?). As far as
      information regarding how you got your name and such, don't sweat it
      too much. It doesn't have to be extremely specific. For example, I
      dnow my parents names, where they lived, what their
      occupations/positions in society were, and that's about it.
      I hope this helps.

      Pax Christi,
      Cecilia de Cambrige
      (late 12th-century Anglo-Norman)

      > Greetings from the Middle Kingdom.
      >
      > I find myself returning to the SCA after a 2 year absense. This time
      > around I am hoping to make much more of myself and as such am working
      > to build a completely new persona (I never did put much time into the
      > last one).
      >
      > With that in mind, I am curious just how much of ones persona one
      > makes up and how much one pulls from actual history. I have found a
      > time frame, and a family name but there are some things I'm not
      > certain how to accomplish, such as the name of my father and history
      > behind how I came to have my name. I am planning on speaking with my
      > barony's herald as soon as I have something a little more solid
      > written out, but I thought I would pose the question here to see what
      > kind of answers I might get :) I can, of course, post what I have thus
      > far here if anyone would care to comment on what I have. I'm rather
      > taken with the first name I've chosen (the only thing I'm carrying
      > over from my previous SCA time), so I'm attempting to match everything
      > else around it.
      >
      > It is an honor to be among you again, and I look forward to perhaps
      > meeting some of you in the near future.
      >
      > Warmest Regards,
      > --Aric
      > Hopefully soon to be Alaric de Colville

      > Medieval and renaissance costume
      > Society for creative anachronism
      > Medieval time dinner and tournament
      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Pax Christi,
      Sydney
    • suzanne vaughn
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2006
        Welcome back!!! I am fairly new tot he SCA myself. I also find myself in the middle kingdom. What fine barony do you reside in? My shire of Alderford is in the great barony of Brendoaken.

        Fiona Cawdor

        Sydney Walker Freedman <freedmas@...> wrote:
        Greetings, good gentle!

        I cannot speak for others, but I did not take any aspects of my
        persona from actual historical people, but I used quite a few
        historical concepts, of course. For example, my persona is a woman
        trouvere. Since SCA personae are not actual historical figures, have
        fun and come up with someone who could have existed within your given
        place and time period (what are they, by the way?). As far as
        information regarding how you got your name and such, don't sweat it
        too much. It doesn't have to be extremely specific. For example, I
        dnow my parents names, where they lived, what their
        occupations/positions in society were, and that's about it.
        I hope this helps.

        Pax Christi,
        Cecilia de Cambrige
        (late 12th-century Anglo-Norman)

        > Greetings from the Middle Kingdom.
        >
        > I find myself returning to the SCA after a 2 year absense. This time
        > around I am hoping to make much more of myself and as such am working
        > to build a completely new persona (I never did put much time into the
        > last one).
        >
        > With that in mind, I am curious just how much of ones persona one
        > makes up and how much one pulls from actual history. I have found a
        > time frame, and a family name but there are some things I'm not
        > certain how to accomplish, such as the name of my father and history
        > behind how I came to have my name. I am planning on speaking with my
        > barony's herald as soon as I have something a little more solid
        > written out, but I thought I would pose the question here to see what
        > kind of answers I might get :) I can, of course, post what I have thus
        > far here if anyone would care to comment on what I have. I'm rather
        > taken with the first name I've chosen (the only thing I'm carrying
        > over from my previous SCA time), so I'm attempting to match everything
        > else around it.
        >
        > It is an honor to be among you again, and I look forward to perhaps
        > meeting some of you in the near future.
        >
        > Warmest Regards,
        > --Aric
        > Hopefully soon to be Alaric de Colville

        > Medieval and renaissance costume
        > Society for creative anachronism
        > Medieval time dinner and tournament
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Pax Christi,
        Sydney

        Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

        ---------------------------------

      • Aric Wilisch
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 5, 2006
          Many thanks for the good advise. With that in mind my research is
          almost done :)

          To answer both questions with but one message, my timeframe and
          location would be around 1297 (still debating on a more exact date) in
          the barony of Kinnaird which resides in Stirlingshire Scotland.
          Because the Baroness of my house gave fealty to Edward of England, I
          used to spend much time dashing back and forth between Kinnaird and
          the English court serving as messenger (I'm sure more details will
          come about in the future :). I am a tracker by trade, my services
          being used by both English and Scottish alike which gives me great
          pleasure as I get to do my fair share of travelling. While cities have
          their uses, I find the road is a far less complex place to be a times.

          As for myself, I reside within the Barony of Fenix. I'm afraid I am
          not certain if where I live has a more specific name within the
          Barony, but I am endevouring to find out :).

          I must admit, questions are a fabulous way to help define one's
          persona. I welcome them all :)

          --Alaric de Colville

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, suzanne vaughn <shyagain22@...>
          wrote:

          > Welcome back!!! I am fairly new tot he SCA myself. I also find
          myself in the middle kingdom. What fine barony do you reside in? My
          shire of Alderford is in the great barony of Brendoaken.

          > Fiona Cawdor
          >
          > Sydney Walker Freedman <freedmas@...> wrote:
          > Greetings, good gentle!
          >
          > I cannot speak for others, but I did not take any aspects of my
          > persona from actual historical people, but I used quite a few
          > historical concepts, of course. For example, my persona is a woman
          > trouvere. Since SCA personae are not actual historical figures, have
          > fun and come up with someone who could have existed within your given
          > place and time period (what are they, by the way?). As far as
          > information regarding how you got your name and such, don't sweat it
          > too much. It doesn't have to be extremely specific. For example, I
          > dnow my parents names, where they lived, what their
          > occupations/positions in society were, and that's about it.
          > I hope this helps.
          >
          > Pax Christi,
          > Cecilia de Cambrige
          > (late 12th-century Anglo-Norman)
          >

          > > Greetings from the Middle Kingdom.
          > >
          > > I find myself returning to the SCA after a 2 year absense. This time
          > > around I am hoping to make much more of myself and as such am working
          > > to build a completely new persona (I never did put much time into the
          > > last one).
          > >
          > > With that in mind, I am curious just how much of ones persona one
          > > makes up and how much one pulls from actual history. I have found a
          > > time frame, and a family name but there are some things I'm not
          > > certain how to accomplish, such as the name of my father and history
          > > behind how I came to have my name. I am planning on speaking with my
          > > barony's herald as soon as I have something a little more solid
          > > written out, but I thought I would pose the question here to see what
          > > kind of answers I might get :) I can, of course, post what I have
          thus
          > > far here if anyone would care to comment on what I have. I'm rather
          > > taken with the first name I've chosen (the only thing I'm carrying
          > > over from my previous SCA time), so I'm attempting to match
          everything
          > > else around it.
          > >
          > > It is an honor to be among you again, and I look forward to perhaps
          > > meeting some of you in the near future.
          > >
          > > Warmest Regards,
          > > --Aric
          > > Hopefully soon to be Alaric de Colville

          > > Medieval and renaissance costume
          > > Society for creative anachronism
          > > Medieval time dinner and tournament
          > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          > > Visit your group "scanewcomers" on the web.
          Service.

          > Pax Christi,
          > Sydney

          > Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative
          anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------

        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 5, 2006
            On Sunday 05 February 2006 09:20, Aric Wilisch wrote:
            > As for myself, I reside within the Barony of Fenix. I'm afraid I am
            > not certain if where I live has a more specific name within the
            > Barony, but I am endevouring to find out :).

            http://www.midrealm.org/seneschallorum/#Oaken

            The descriptions of the groups within the Barony of Fenix includes a brief
            notation on their approximate land claim. :-)

            (It just happens by coincidence that I'm the person who maintains this
            database in the Midrealm.)

            keys fesswise reversed sable.

          • Aric Wilisch
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 5, 2006
              Ah yes. I've actually seen this document before. I was unable to find
              any reference to a shire or other location for Canton county. The only
              reference I found for my area was the Barony of Fenix which includes
              Cincinnati, OH and Covington, KY. It would seem all of the counties
              are represented EXCEPT Canton :). Perhaps if enough others reside in
              this area, something new could be started.

              Regards,
              --Alaric de Colville

              <justin@...> wrote:

              > On Sunday 05 February 2006 09:20, Aric Wilisch wrote:
              > > As for myself, I reside within the Barony of Fenix. I'm afraid I am
              > > not certain if where I live has a more specific name within the
              > > Barony, but I am endevouring to find out :).
              >
              > http://www.midrealm.org/seneschallorum/#Oaken
              >
              > The descriptions of the groups within the Barony of Fenix includes a
              brief
              > notation on their approximate land claim. :-)
              >
              > (It just happens by coincidence that I'm the person who maintains this
              > database in the Midrealm.)
              >
              > Justin
              >
              > --
              > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
              <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()

              http://4th.com/sca/justin/

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
                On Sunday 05 February 2006 22:48, Aric Wilisch wrote:
                > It would seem all of the counties
                > are represented  EXCEPT Canton :). [...]
                > Perhaps if enough others reside in
                > this area, something new could be started.

                If that is the case, then it simply means that Canton County is part of the
                Barony of Fenix but not part of any of its cantons. If it turns out there is
                enough interest to form a new local group, talk with your Baronial Seneschal,
                who can put you in touch with the New Groups Deputy. Write me off-list if you
                have trouble reaching the right people -- I was the current New Groups Deputy's
                predecessor in office and can help you find the people you need to talk with.

                There is a bit of wordplay that one can apply surrounding this situation that
                is almost too funny for words. I live in Canton, Ohio, and am part of a
                group (Alderford) that is a canton of the Barony of Brendoken. We tried to
                get the heralds to let us be the Canton of Canton when we formed the group
                eleven years ago, but they nixed that idea pretty quickly. We can't because
                of the way the Heralds cant[*] blazon.

                [*] The word "cant" without an apostrophe is sometimes used to describe the
                heraldic description (or blazoning) of an heraldic coat of arms.

                So the situation we now have between your area and ours is:

                My Canton is a canton in Canton, but my canton is not the Canton of Canton
                since cantons can't be canted that way.

                Your Canton is not a canton, nor is your canton in Canton. You can
                create a canton which would be another canton in Canton, but you still
                can't cant the canton as the Canton of Canton.

                Does your brain hurt yet? :-)

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
                  My good friend, yesterday I had the great fortune to watch to great
                  armies battle for a silver oblong ball and consumed mass quantities of
                  ale and spirits during the festivities...

                  My brain hurt before I even read this ;)

                  Fondest Regards,
                  --Alaric de Colville

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
                    Thanks for the laugh. I really needed after math class. :)

                    Pax Christi,
                    Sydney
                  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 7, 2006
                      On Monday 06 February 2006 17:09, Aric Wilisch wrote:
                      > My good friend, yesterday I had the great fortune to watch to great
                      > armies battle for a silver oblong ball

                      Bah! I've seen such contests. That is a sport for little children. Real
                      warriors wear armor and use swords and axes and polearms!

                      > and consumed mass quantities of
                      > ale and spirits during the festivities...

                      On the other hand, even children's games have their useful aspects. ;-)

                      keys fesswise reversed sable.