A greeting and a question

  • Aric Wilisch
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2006
      Greetings from the Middle Kingdom.

      I find myself returning to the SCA after a 2 year absense. This time
      around I am hoping to make much more of myself and as such am working
      to build a completely new persona (I never did put much time into the
      last one).

      With that in mind, I am curious just how much of ones persona one
      makes up and how much one pulls from actual history. I have found a
      time frame, and a family name but there are some things I'm not
      certain how to accomplish, such as the name of my father and history
      behind how I came to have my name. I am planning on speaking with my
      barony's herald as soon as I have something a little more solid
      written out, but I thought I would pose the question here to see what
      kind of answers I might get :) I can, of course, post what I have thus
      far here if anyone would care to comment on what I have. I'm rather
      taken with the first name I've chosen (the only thing I'm carrying
      over from my previous SCA time), so I'm attempting to match everything
      else around it.

      It is an honor to be among you again, and I look forward to perhaps
      meeting some of you in the near future.

      Warmest Regards,
      --Aric
      Hopefully soon to be Alaric de Colville
    • Sydney Walker Freedman
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2006
        Greetings, good gentle!

        I cannot speak for others, but I did not take any aspects of my
        persona from actual historical people, but I used quite a few
        historical concepts, of course. For example, my persona is a woman
        trouvere. Since SCA personae are not actual historical figures, have
        fun and come up with someone who could have existed within your given
        place and time period (what are they, by the way?). As far as
        information regarding how you got your name and such, don't sweat it
        too much. It doesn't have to be extremely specific. For example, I
        dnow my parents names, where they lived, what their
        occupations/positions in society were, and that's about it.
        I hope this helps.

        Pax Christi,
        Cecilia de Cambrige
        (late 12th-century Anglo-Norman)

        > Greetings from the Middle Kingdom.
        >
        > I find myself returning to the SCA after a 2 year absense. This time
        > around I am hoping to make much more of myself and as such am working
        > to build a completely new persona (I never did put much time into the
        > last one).
        >
        > With that in mind, I am curious just how much of ones persona one
        > makes up and how much one pulls from actual history. I have found a
        > time frame, and a family name but there are some things I'm not
        > certain how to accomplish, such as the name of my father and history
        > behind how I came to have my name. I am planning on speaking with my
        > barony's herald as soon as I have something a little more solid
        > written out, but I thought I would pose the question here to see what
        > kind of answers I might get :) I can, of course, post what I have thus
        > far here if anyone would care to comment on what I have. I'm rather
        > taken with the first name I've chosen (the only thing I'm carrying
        > over from my previous SCA time), so I'm attempting to match everything
        > else around it.
        >
        > It is an honor to be among you again, and I look forward to perhaps
        > meeting some of you in the near future.
        >
        > Warmest Regards,
        > --Aric
        > Hopefully soon to be Alaric de Colville

        > Medieval and renaissance costume
        > Society for creative anachronism
        > Medieval time dinner and tournament
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Pax Christi,
        Sydney
      • suzanne vaughn
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 4, 2006
          Welcome back!!! I am fairly new tot he SCA myself. I also find myself in the middle kingdom. What fine barony do you reside in? My shire of Alderford is in the great barony of Brendoaken.

          Fiona Cawdor

          Sydney Walker Freedman <freedmas@...> wrote:
          Greetings, good gentle!

          I cannot speak for others, but I did not take any aspects of my
          persona from actual historical people, but I used quite a few
          historical concepts, of course. For example, my persona is a woman
          trouvere. Since SCA personae are not actual historical figures, have
          fun and come up with someone who could have existed within your given
          place and time period (what are they, by the way?). As far as
          information regarding how you got your name and such, don't sweat it
          too much. It doesn't have to be extremely specific. For example, I
          dnow my parents names, where they lived, what their
          occupations/positions in society were, and that's about it.
          I hope this helps.

          Pax Christi,
          Cecilia de Cambrige
          (late 12th-century Anglo-Norman)

          > Greetings from the Middle Kingdom.
          >
          > I find myself returning to the SCA after a 2 year absense. This time
          > around I am hoping to make much more of myself and as such am working
          > to build a completely new persona (I never did put much time into the
          > last one).
          >
          > With that in mind, I am curious just how much of ones persona one
          > makes up and how much one pulls from actual history. I have found a
          > time frame, and a family name but there are some things I'm not
          > certain how to accomplish, such as the name of my father and history
          > behind how I came to have my name. I am planning on speaking with my
          > barony's herald as soon as I have something a little more solid
          > written out, but I thought I would pose the question here to see what
          > kind of answers I might get :) I can, of course, post what I have thus
          > far here if anyone would care to comment on what I have. I'm rather
          > taken with the first name I've chosen (the only thing I'm carrying
          > over from my previous SCA time), so I'm attempting to match everything
          > else around it.
          >
          > It is an honor to be among you again, and I look forward to perhaps
          > meeting some of you in the near future.
          >
          > Warmest Regards,
          > --Aric
          > Hopefully soon to be Alaric de Colville

          > Medieval and renaissance costume
          > Society for creative anachronism
          > Medieval time dinner and tournament
          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Pax Christi,
          Sydney

          Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

          ---------------------------------

        • Aric Wilisch
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 5, 2006
            Many thanks for the good advise. With that in mind my research is
            almost done :)

            To answer both questions with but one message, my timeframe and
            location would be around 1297 (still debating on a more exact date) in
            the barony of Kinnaird which resides in Stirlingshire Scotland.
            Because the Baroness of my house gave fealty to Edward of England, I
            used to spend much time dashing back and forth between Kinnaird and
            the English court serving as messenger (I'm sure more details will
            come about in the future :). I am a tracker by trade, my services
            being used by both English and Scottish alike which gives me great
            pleasure as I get to do my fair share of travelling. While cities have
            their uses, I find the road is a far less complex place to be a times.

            As for myself, I reside within the Barony of Fenix. I'm afraid I am
            not certain if where I live has a more specific name within the
            Barony, but I am endevouring to find out :).

            I must admit, questions are a fabulous way to help define one's
            persona. I welcome them all :)

            --Alaric de Colville

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, suzanne vaughn <shyagain22@...>
            wrote:

            > Welcome back!!! I am fairly new tot he SCA myself. I also find
            myself in the middle kingdom. What fine barony do you reside in? My
            shire of Alderford is in the great barony of Brendoaken.

            > Fiona Cawdor
            >
            > Sydney Walker Freedman <freedmas@...> wrote:
            > Greetings, good gentle!
            >
            > I cannot speak for others, but I did not take any aspects of my
            > persona from actual historical people, but I used quite a few
            > historical concepts, of course. For example, my persona is a woman
            > trouvere. Since SCA personae are not actual historical figures, have
            > fun and come up with someone who could have existed within your given
            > place and time period (what are they, by the way?). As far as
            > information regarding how you got your name and such, don't sweat it
            > too much. It doesn't have to be extremely specific. For example, I
            > dnow my parents names, where they lived, what their
            > occupations/positions in society were, and that's about it.
            > I hope this helps.
            >
            > Pax Christi,
            > Cecilia de Cambrige
            > (late 12th-century Anglo-Norman)
            >

            > > Greetings from the Middle Kingdom.
            > >
            > > I find myself returning to the SCA after a 2 year absense. This time
            > > around I am hoping to make much more of myself and as such am working
            > > to build a completely new persona (I never did put much time into the
            > > last one).
            > >
            > > With that in mind, I am curious just how much of ones persona one
            > > makes up and how much one pulls from actual history. I have found a
            > > time frame, and a family name but there are some things I'm not
            > > certain how to accomplish, such as the name of my father and history
            > > behind how I came to have my name. I am planning on speaking with my
            > > barony's herald as soon as I have something a little more solid
            > > written out, but I thought I would pose the question here to see what
            > > kind of answers I might get :) I can, of course, post what I have
            thus
            > > far here if anyone would care to comment on what I have. I'm rather
            > > taken with the first name I've chosen (the only thing I'm carrying
            > > over from my previous SCA time), so I'm attempting to match
            everything
            > > else around it.
            > >
            > > It is an honor to be among you again, and I look forward to perhaps
            > > meeting some of you in the near future.
            > >
            > > Warmest Regards,
            > > --Aric
            > > Hopefully soon to be Alaric de Colville

            > > Medieval and renaissance costume
            > > Society for creative anachronism
            > > Medieval time dinner and tournament
            > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            > > Visit your group "scanewcomers" on the web.
            Service.

            > Pax Christi,
            > Sydney

            > Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative
            anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------

          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 5, 2006
              On Sunday 05 February 2006 09:20, Aric Wilisch wrote:
              > As for myself, I reside within the Barony of Fenix. I'm afraid I am
              > not certain if where I live has a more specific name within the
              > Barony, but I am endevouring to find out :).

              http://www.midrealm.org/seneschallorum/#Oaken

              The descriptions of the groups within the Barony of Fenix includes a brief
              notation on their approximate land claim. :-)

              (It just happens by coincidence that I'm the person who maintains this
              database in the Midrealm.)

              keys fesswise reversed sable.

            • Aric Wilisch
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 5, 2006
                Ah yes. I've actually seen this document before. I was unable to find
                any reference to a shire or other location for Canton county. The only
                reference I found for my area was the Barony of Fenix which includes
                Cincinnati, OH and Covington, KY. It would seem all of the counties
                are represented EXCEPT Canton :). Perhaps if enough others reside in
                this area, something new could be started.

                Regards,
                --Alaric de Colville

                <justin@...> wrote:

                > On Sunday 05 February 2006 09:20, Aric Wilisch wrote:
                > > As for myself, I reside within the Barony of Fenix. I'm afraid I am
                > > not certain if where I live has a more specific name within the
                > > Barony, but I am endevouring to find out :).
                >
                > http://www.midrealm.org/seneschallorum/#Oaken
                >
                > The descriptions of the groups within the Barony of Fenix includes a
                brief
                > notation on their approximate land claim. :-)
                >
                > (It just happens by coincidence that I'm the person who maintains this
                > database in the Midrealm.)
                >
                > Justin
                >
                > --
                > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
                <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()

                http://4th.com/sca/justin/

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
                  On Sunday 05 February 2006 22:48, Aric Wilisch wrote:
                  > It would seem all of the counties
                  > are represented  EXCEPT Canton :). [...]
                  > Perhaps if enough others reside in
                  > this area, something new could be started.

                  If that is the case, then it simply means that Canton County is part of the
                  Barony of Fenix but not part of any of its cantons. If it turns out there is
                  enough interest to form a new local group, talk with your Baronial Seneschal,
                  who can put you in touch with the New Groups Deputy. Write me off-list if you
                  have trouble reaching the right people -- I was the current New Groups Deputy's
                  predecessor in office and can help you find the people you need to talk with.

                  There is a bit of wordplay that one can apply surrounding this situation that
                  is almost too funny for words. I live in Canton, Ohio, and am part of a
                  group (Alderford) that is a canton of the Barony of Brendoken. We tried to
                  get the heralds to let us be the Canton of Canton when we formed the group
                  eleven years ago, but they nixed that idea pretty quickly. We can't because
                  of the way the Heralds cant[*] blazon.

                  [*] The word "cant" without an apostrophe is sometimes used to describe the
                  heraldic description (or blazoning) of an heraldic coat of arms.

                  So the situation we now have between your area and ours is:

                  My Canton is a canton in Canton, but my canton is not the Canton of Canton
                  since cantons can't be canted that way.

                  Your Canton is not a canton, nor is your canton in Canton. You can
                  create a canton which would be another canton in Canton, but you still
                  can't cant the canton as the Canton of Canton.

                  Does your brain hurt yet? :-)

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
                    My good friend, yesterday I had the great fortune to watch to great
                    armies battle for a silver oblong ball and consumed mass quantities of
                    ale and spirits during the festivities...

                    My brain hurt before I even read this ;)

                    Fondest Regards,
                    --Alaric de Colville

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
                      Thanks for the laugh. I really needed after math class. :)

                      Pax Christi,
                      Sydney
                    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 7, 2006
                        On Monday 06 February 2006 17:09, Aric Wilisch wrote:
                        > My good friend, yesterday I had the great fortune to watch to great
                        > armies battle for a silver oblong ball

                        Bah! I've seen such contests. That is a sport for little children. Real
                        warriors wear armor and use swords and axes and polearms!

                        > and consumed mass quantities of
                        > ale and spirits during the festivities...

                        On the other hand, even children's games have their useful aspects. ;-)

                        keys fesswise reversed sable.