I need advice

  • rhysh73
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 26, 2006
      I am new to the SCA and in the process of making garb for my two
      daughters. One is 13 and the other is 8. My problem is that I dont
      know what to do about their headwear. What types of headcoverings did
      children wear if any in the 15th-16th centuries? This will be my
      third event so I am still learning myself. Any advice/help anyone can
      give me would be greatly appreciated!

      Thanks,
      Katherine
    • Melissa Carter
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 26, 2006
        Greetings and welcome to the SCA! I can't give you a definitive answer on the head wear of the day but I can give you some practical knowledge. I too have an 8 year old daughter. It is @#$% near impossible to keep head wear on her so I've never tried. Most children are happy in a tunic and pants or tunic type dress and sandals or sneakers. I actually let mine wear shorts under neath as you never know when a head stand might ensue! Your older daughter might enjoy the head gear but talk to her first before you go into too much work over it. She might actually enjoy making it herself even...no time like the present to start learning to make your own garb!
        So I guess I am saying when it comes to your kids keep it simple...
        For what it's worth that's my two cents,

        In Service to "The Dream",
        Herrin Hedwig von Luneborg

      • Maria
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 26, 2006
          Ok. First of all, if you want to be really period, the 13 year old would have been considered almost an adult and certainly of marrying age, and therefore would be dressing like any adult. The 8 year old is a different story. I personally have to agree with Hedwig on that. I rarely see any kids under 12 wearing any type of headgear.

          I'd say ask the 13 year old if she wants some type of headgear. A veil and circlet is certainly period for most times. There were hats and such that people wore in the 15th -16th centuries, but a circlet and veil is also period. As to that, you also want to remember that she can't wear an unadorned circlet - it's reserved for anyone with an AoA (Award of Arms). That's true for you also. However you will want to check with your area Hospitaler for any specific area rules.

          If you have any other questions please feel free to email me personally at scarlettmb@.... I'll be happy to find out who your area hosptialer is if you don't know.

          In Service to the Dream,
          Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici, SSG
          Maria Buchanan
          Official Worrier of House Starfire
          Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
          Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
          In the Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra
          281-433-0347
          I am new to the SCA and in the process of making garb for my two
          daughters. One is 13 and the other is 8. My problem is that I dont
          know what to do about their headwear. What types of headcoverings did
          children wear if any in the 15th-16th centuries? This will be my
          third event so I am still learning myself. Any advice/help anyone can
          give me would be greatly appreciated!

          Thanks,
          Katherine

        • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 26, 2006
            Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici wrote:

            > A veil and circlet is certainly period for most times.. . . .As to
            > that, you also want to remember that she can't wear an unadorned
            > circlet - it's reserved for anyone with an AoA (Award of Arms).
            > That's true for you also.

            Um. . .not in most kingdoms.

            In Ansteorra, for instance, anyone who wants to can wear a fillet
            (defined as a metal-looking band across the front of the head, less
            than one half-inch in width), as long as it is not decorated with
            Ansteorran Stars, a Queen's Rose, strawberry leaves, triple-lobed
            motifs extending above the line of the top of the fillet, or the arms,
            ensign, or badge of a barony, and is not embattled, dovetailed, or
            engrailed. (See article IX of the Kingdom Laws
            <http://www.ansteorra.org/regnum/seneschal/forms/
            2005_Ansteorra_Law.pdf>.)

            If you're not in the Stellar Kingdom, check your own's sumptuary laws
            to be sure <http://sca-garb.freeservers.com/articles/sumptuary.htm>,
            but odds are a basic circlet is fine.

            Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
            Kingdom of Ansteorra

          • athterath
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 26, 2006
              Katherine wrote:
              > What types of headcoverings did children wear if any in the
              > 15th-16th centuries?

              Probably roughly what adults wore in the same period; the answer will naturally vary,
              depending on where you are and what your culture is.

              Coifs were widely worn late in period. It's a simple, inexpensive garment to make, and
              since it ties on, less likely to fall off during play than a veil or mantle. You can find
              instructions for the making of one on Cynthia Virtue's site at <http://www.virtue.to/
              articles/coif.html>.

              Hoods were also popular in the later centuries. They take more fabric than coifs, but are
              also more striking to view and offer more options for individual expression. Ms. Virtue
              also has a helpful article on these <http://www.virtue.to/articles/hoodlum.html>.
              Another set of instructions is found in Dawn's Costuming Guide <http://
              www.reddawn.net/costume/hood.htm>

              The Atlantian A&S links site has a section on children's clothing <http://
              moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?action=displaycat&catid=337 >. Some of the
              included sites feature period images of children, and others essays on children's clothing
              in period, that may be useful in your determination of what to make for your daughters.

              Coblaith Mhuimhneach
              Barony of Bryn Gwald
              Kingdom of Ansteorra
            • Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 27, 2006
                Exactly.

                Calontir allows any member of its populace to wear an unadorned circlet with
                no protrusions above or below...up to 1/2" in width. Additionally, this can
                be of ANY material.

                Until the next time,
                Giudo di Niccolo
                [[who loves IKA (aka: Inter-Kingdom Anthropology)]]

                On 1/27/06, Coblaith Mhuimhneach <Coblaith@...> wrote:

                > Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici wrote:
                >
                > > A veil and circlet is certainly period for most times.. . . .As to
                > > that, you also want to remember that she can't wear an unadorned
                > > circlet - it's reserved for anyone with an AoA (Award of Arms).
                > > That's true for you also.
                >
                > Um. . .not in most kingdoms.

              • James Taylor
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 27, 2006
                  While Trimaris is much more strict. No member of the populace may wear a
                  circlet of metal without an AoA, and an AoA is limited to an unadorned band
                  with no protusions up to 1/2 inch.

                  On 1/27/06, Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi <giudo.brunelleschi@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Exactly.
                  >
                  > Calontir allows any member of its populace to wear an unadorned circlet
                  > with
                  > no protrusions above or below...up to 1/2" in width. Additionally, this
                  > can
                  > be of ANY material.
                  >
                  > Until the next time,
                  > Giudo di Niccolo
                  > [[who loves IKA (aka: Inter-Kingdom Anthropology)]]
                  >

                  > On 1/27/06, Coblaith Mhuimhneach <Coblaith@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > A veil and circlet is certainly period for most times.. . . .As to
                  > > > that, you also want to remember that she can't wear an unadorned
                  > > > circlet - it's reserved for anyone with an AoA (Award of Arms).
                  > > > That's true for you also.
                  > >
                  > > Um. . .not in most kingdoms.

                • Susan B. Farmer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 27, 2006
                    Quoting Coblaith Mhuimhneach <Coblaith@...>:

                    > Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici wrote:
                    >
                    >> A veil and circlet is certainly period for most times.. . . .As to
                    >> that, you also want to remember that she can't wear an unadorned
                    >> circlet - it's reserved for anyone with an AoA (Award of Arms).
                    >> That's true for you also.
                    >
                    > Um. . .not in most kingdoms.

                    It is true in Meridies. Non-metal circlets (e.g., ribbon) are
                    acceptable for all gentles; but you must have an AoA to wear an
                    unadorned circlet of no more than 1/4" -- Grants can wear up to 1/2" --
                    again unadorned.

                    Jerusha
                    -----
                    Susan Farmer
                    sfarmer@...
                    University of Tennessee
                  • Susan B. Farmer
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 27, 2006
                      Quoting "Susan B. Farmer" <sfarmer@...>:

                      > Quoting Coblaith Mhuimhneach <Coblaith@...>:
                      >

                      >> Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> A veil and circlet is certainly period for most times.. . . .As to
                      >>> that, you also want to remember that she can't wear an unadorned
                      >>> circlet - it's reserved for anyone with an AoA (Award of Arms).
                      >>> That's true for you also.
                      >>
                      >> Um. . .not in most kingdoms.
                      >
                      > It is true in Meridies. Non-metal circlets (e.g., ribbon) are
                      > acceptable for all gentles; but you must have an AoA to wear an
                      > unadorned circlet of no more than 1/4" -- Grants can wear up to 1/2" --
                      > again unadorned.

                      After I sent that ...

                      I seem to remember that there was a gentle who had put together a web
                      page with some basic sumptuary information on each of the kingdoms
                      especially as regards circlets, belts, etc. However, I don't seem to
                      be finding it right now. Does anybody else remember that?

                      Jerusha
                      -----
                      Susan Farmer
                      sfarmer@...
                      University of Tennessee
                    • Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 27, 2006
                        There's this webpage:
                        http://sca-garb.freeservers.com/articles/sumptuary.htm

                        And that's the only one I can seem to find at the moment.

                        Giudo di Niccolo