Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hi everyone

  • Steve K. Rourke
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 22, 2006
      If you would like I would be more than happy to put you in touch with a
      LARGE number of Bards within the DFW area including the Kingdom Bard. :=D

      Domhnall Dubh O'Ruairc
      Shire of Loch Ruadh
      Kingdom of Ansteorrqa
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 24, 2006
        Thank you Milica that was great info!!! :) Personally I think I like the idea of someone choosing my name LOL~! kidding hehehe Anyhoo.. Im definately one of those that are going to take her time looking and not freaking out over a Name and Persona.. I look forward to getting to know more people and learn more about what they are doing first. And if its ok even to dress casual and not to Garb like my first events. I am in Texas where its really hot and miserable and I cant even imagine wearing some of the garb that Ive seen around. My goodness.. Your nightgown idea sounds much better.. *smiles* Thanks again..

      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 25, 2006
          On Tuesday 24 January 2006 14:57, Christina C Swain wrote:
          > Personally I think I like the idea of someone choosing my name
          > LOL

          As you wish, M'Lady!

          Henceforth be thou known as M'Lady Lolly the Jester, until such time
          as thou shalt choose for thyself another name. Thou it probably be not
          period, thou has appellated thyself through thine own use of the first
          three letters of this name in thy missive unto the assembled throng!

          Since thou also hast referred unto thyself as "kidding", thou mayest
          choose instead to be known as Lolly the Goatherd, but this surname shall
          perhaps be found not to the liking of such a noble lady as thyself.

          {BIG GRIN}

          keys fesswise reversed sable.

        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 25, 2006
            On Tuesday 24 January 2006 14:57, Christina C Swain wrote:
            > And if its ok even to dress casual and not to Garb like my first events.
            > I am in Texas where its really hot and miserable and I cant even imagine
            > wearing some of the garb that Ive seen around.

            SCA rules require garb, but it need not be elaborate nor uncomfortable.
            People in the Middle Ages didn't wear fine courtly silks to shovel horse
            manure or lay stonework, after all, so casual clothing is absolutely
            period.

            For hot weather, linen is your friend! I will defer to the garb mavens on
            this list for more specific suggestions, but ... linen is your friend!

            keys fesswise reversed sable.

          • Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 25, 2006
              On Tuesday 24 January 2006 14:57, Christina C Swain wrote:
              > Personally I think I like the idea of someone choosing my name
              > LOL

              Oh be careful what you wish for...*heh*

              Now if I could which heralds list the E-Mails floating back and forth
              between Aryanwhy and Morag are regarding some interesting feminine names
              happened on...I'd be in luck to give you some suggestions.

              I want to say one of the names they were talking about was "Truelove
              Twiceaday" or something along that line.

              Giudo di Niccolo
              [[who was glad he chose his own name or would have had Vlad naming him
              something in Russian that translates back into English with a meaning of
              "pig's testicles"]]

            • Susan B. Farmer
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 25, 2006
                Quoting Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>:

                > On Tuesday 24 January 2006 14:57, Christina C Swain wrote:
                >> And if its ok even to dress casual and not to Garb like my first events.
                >> I am in Texas where its really hot and miserable and I cant even imagine
                >> wearing some of the garb that Ive seen around.
                >
                > SCA rules require garb, but it need not be elaborate nor uncomfortable.
                > People in the Middle Ages didn't wear fine courtly silks to shovel horse
                > manure or lay stonework, after all, so casual clothing is absolutely
                > period.

                I don't have any pictures -- but I know that many of the other folks on
                this list *so* have pictures ... Mightn't it be a Good Idea to make a
                folder in the files section (preferably -- the pictures can be larger)
                of photos of folks in easy garb? There are some *really* nice tunics,
                and viking stuff out there that would be good for Hot Weather -- and
                maybe some photos of good Cold Weather Garb -- although that's not as
                much of an issue since you can layer till the cows come home.

                Just a thought,
                Jerusha
                -----
                Susan Farmer
                sfarmer@...
                University of Tennessee
              • Crystal ortiz
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 25, 2006
                  Something also to keep in mind when talking about garb is that most (later) period garb was layered so...keep the layers coming in cold weather! Natural fibers like cotton, silk, linen are your friend! I live in Florida so I know heat and humidity (YUCK) Some styles to look into for summer months might be Viking Aprons, Fitted tunics, MIddle Eastern garb, Greek, Roman...just a little of my 2 cents added.

                  -Christiana

                  "Susan B. Farmer" <sfarmer@...> wrote:
                  Quoting Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>:

                  > On Tuesday 24 January 2006 14:57, Christina C Swain wrote:
                  >> And if its ok even to dress casual and not to Garb like my first events.
                  >> I am in Texas where its really hot and miserable and I cant even imagine
                  >> wearing some of the garb that Ive seen around.
                  >
                  > SCA rules require garb, but it need not be elaborate nor uncomfortable.
                  > People in the Middle Ages didn't wear fine courtly silks to shovel horse
                  > manure or lay stonework, after all, so casual clothing is absolutely
                  > period.

                  I don't have any pictures -- but I know that many of the other folks on
                  this list *so* have pictures ... Mightn't it be a Good Idea to make a
                  folder in the files section (preferably -- the pictures can be larger)
                  of photos of folks in easy garb? There are some *really* nice tunics,
                  and viking stuff out there that would be good for Hot Weather -- and
                  maybe some photos of good Cold Weather Garb -- although that's not as
                  much of an issue since you can layer till the cows come home.

                  Just a thought,
                  Jerusha
                  -----
                  Susan Farmer
                  sfarmer@...
                  University of Tennessee

                  Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

                  ---------------------------------

                • Christina C Swain
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 25, 2006
                    *giggles merrily at the comedic Lustinos Tekton called Justin* :) Thanks much for the name fun and the linen reminder. You are so right and I shall take your advise! :)

                    Christina
                    On Tuesday 24 January 2006 14:57, Christina C Swain wrote:
                    > Personally I think I like the idea of someone choosing my name
                    > LOL

                    As you wish, M'Lady!

                    Henceforth be thou known as M'Lady Lolly the Jester, until such time
                    as thou shalt choose for thyself another name. Thou it probably be not
                    period, thou has appellated thyself through thine own use of the first
                    three letters of this name in thy missive unto the assembled throng!

                    Since thou also hast referred unto thyself as "kidding", thou mayest
                    choose instead to be known as Lolly the Goatherd, but this surname shall
                    perhaps be found not to the liking of such a noble lady as thyself.

                    {BIG GRIN}

                    keys fesswise reversed sable.

                  • Sydney Walker Freedman
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 26, 2006
                      If we are not careful, thou wilt have names for all of us according to our
                      common sayings. :)

                      > On Tuesday 24 January 2006 14:57, Christina C Swain wrote:
                      > > Personally I think I like the idea of someone choosing my name
                      > > LOL
                      >
                      > As you wish, M'Lady!
                      >
                      > Henceforth be thou known as M'Lady Lolly the Jester, until such time
                      > as thou shalt choose for thyself another name. Thou it probably be not
                      > period, thou has appellated thyself through thine own use of the first
                      > three letters of this name in thy missive unto the assembled throng!
                      >
                      > Since thou also hast referred unto thyself as "kidding", thou
                      > mayest
                      > choose instead to be known as Lolly the Goatherd, but this surname shall
                      > perhaps be found not to the liking of such a noble lady as thyself.
                      >
                      > {BIG GRIN}
                      >
                      > Justin
                      >
                      > --
                      > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                      > justin@... PGP Public Key at http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

                      Pax Christi,
                      Sydney
                    • Milica of Varna
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 26, 2006
                        Don't tempt Justin. He'll do it!

                        Milica

                        On Thursday 26 January 2006 09:58, Sydney Walker Freedman wrote:
                        > If we are not careful, thou wilt have names for all of us according to our
                        > common sayings.  :)

                        THL Milica of Varna
                        Chronicler, Barony of Brendoken

                      • Sydney Walker Freedman
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 26, 2006
                          :) It would be a good laugh, though.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 26, 2006
                            On Wednesday 25 January 2006 23:45, Christina C Swain wrote:
                            > *giggles merrily at the comedic Lustinos Tekton called Justin*

                            Awe, c'mon...it's Iustinos, with an "I" like "India". You're gonna give
                            me a reputation. Darn those sans-serif typefaces anyway! {GRIN}

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 26, 2006
                              Ooopsies!! :) I am sooooooorry *winks*
                              On Wednesday 25 January 2006 23:45, Christina C Swain wrote:
                              > *giggles merrily at the comedic Lustinos Tekton called Justin*

                              Awe, c'mon...it's Iustinos, with an "I" like "India". You're gonna give
                              me a reputation. Darn those sans-serif typefaces anyway! {GRIN}

                              keys fesswise reversed sable.

                            • owlmoons
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                                Dont worry Patrick.... You will find your way. I will help you if you want, I can give you what I have been given so far.. Links. It wasnt too hard looking through names and finding the first SCA populous meeting. Email me off the list if you want. owlmoons@...

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                                    What time period and place are you from?

                                    Pax Christi,
                                    Cecilia de Cambrige

                                    P.S. Talk with your local herald. He/she can help you with a name.

                                    > Exactly, I wish some one would choose an SCA name for me. Would save
                                    > me
                                    > alot of time and effort. Plus if some one cares enough to give you a
                                    > name
                                    > at least you your loved.
                                    >
                                    > Lost and Confused

                                    > Medieval and renaissance costume
                                    > Society for creative anachronism
                                    > Medieval time dinner and tournament
                                    > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                    Pax Christi,
                                    Sydney
                                  • Kristine Elliott
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 6, 2006
                                      On 2/4/06, Patrick Callahan <dances_with_salmon@...> wrote:
                                      > Exactly, I wish some one would choose an SCA name for me. Would save me
                                      > alot of time and effort. Plus if some one cares enough to give you a name
                                      > at least you your loved.
                                      >
                                      > Lost and Confused

                                      Two articles I recommend highly are: Choosing a Society Name: Hints
                                      for Newcomers at http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/dietmar/hints.html
                                      and What is an S.C.A. Name?
                                      http://sca.org/heraldry/laurel/whatis/name.html . Many documented
                                      names may be found in the Medieval Name archive at:
                                      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/ .

                                      I will be glad to do my best to answer any name questions you might have.

                                      Scolastica

                                      http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

                                      "I have come to the conclusion that this administration values loyalty
                                      more than anything else, more than competence or, frankly, more than
                                      the truth." Rep. Christopher Shays.
                                    • Patrick Callahan
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 11, 2006
                                        Ireland, Kingdom of Munster (near present day County Cork) in the time
                                        around 1540

                                        Lost and Confused
                                        Aka. Patrick Callahan
                                      • Patrick Callahan