Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newbie in SCA

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
      ok, as far as mixing time periods, in clothing, most
      people try to wear clothes from one time/place in a
      single outfit, but there are no rules against having
      different outfits from different times and places.
      If you are interested in wearing pants and looser
      clothing I'd like to suggest you looking into some of
      the middle eastern garb. Lots of the clothing from
      Turkey, Persia, etc. consisted of pants, tunics and
      "coats" which are all very loose and comfortable and
      still feminine. Here is a link of an example of
      someone wearing some Turkish garb (I've been
      considering something like this for a while now. I
      just need to get motivated.)
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/6419/

      Another idea would be the loose fitting Viking style
      dresses. I've been making some French styled loose
      fitting dresses for working at events because theire
      like wearing pajamas instead of clothes. I love them
      and I'm not normally a fan of dresses.
      Hope this helps,
      Isabel

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Sydney Walker Freedman
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
        An then there's my favorite: the bliaut!

        Pax Christi,
        Sydney
      • foxfreya
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
          thanks for all the tips :) I have no time to reply now (first day at
          university and already loaded in work... sigh)

          but you almost had it right... it would be more like Bienvenue dans
          la SCA :) (because SCA is not a place but an organism)

          nice french tought ! :D

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Maria" <scarlettmb@s...> wrote:

          > First of all, Bienvenue au SCA (I think I spelled that right.
          It's been a while since I actually had to write in French. I speak
          a little French - just enough to get me into trouble if truth be
          told. It's been 22 years since I graduated from high school and
          that's where I learned it.)

          > See below I inserted some stuff for you.
          >
          > In fact I mentionned some centuries, but I'm having an hard time
          > choosing a timeline. 8-9th century appeals to me by it's
          simplicity
          > and I just love those tunics. But 13th century (even in the 14th)
          > seems cool too, as it's more sophisticated, yet not too much and
          has
          > a wider range of garb to choose from. I can't choose ! Best would
          be
          > to pick-and-mix but I'm really not sure about it being a good
          idea,
          > even with a classical-type garment like a tunic.
          >
          > You could always do 2 persona's. I have 2. The first is my main
          persona, Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici, SSG. She is a member of
          the Medici family from Florence, however she was raised in France
          and now lives in England. She is a widow, only heir to her father's
          fortune and very happy to be alone and choose her own way in life.
          She likes it that way. She lives in 1350.

          > The second persona doesn't really have a name except Maria. She
          is a 15th century Italian woman, who basically makes her way through
          life by doing whatever she has to. She's done lots of stuff. She's
          kind of dangerous and she's never been caught. She's a widow
          several times over and all her husbands have died of natural causes
          (as far as anyone can tell at least). She's never actually been
          registered, but I have this really nice English ren pattern and love
          the pattern so I made the dress. The second persona actually
          started out as my first persona when I started out in the SCA, but
          then I discovered the ease of 14th century Italian surcoats and ...
          well ... that's where Elizabeta came from.

          > I must mention tight clothing drives me mad (it's really an
          > important choosing matter) and that in general, I'm wearing pants
          > (no skirts, no dresses, but a couple of execeptions).
          >
          > Personally I hate wearing dresses also. I wear them for the SCA,
          but instead of wearing pantyhose (especially in the summer in
          Houston, TX) I wear a pair of biking shorts under the dresses or
          skirts. That's something you might want to consider if the reason
          for not wearing dresses or skirts is the same as mine (my thighs rub
          together and my legs get irritated). I have found that biking
          shorts or longer biking pants (capri's or ankle length) work really
          well.

          > I hope all this helped you. And sorry if my French above was
          horrible. Like I said, it's been 22 years.

          > In Service to the Dream,
          > Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici, SSG
          > Maria Buchanan
          > Official Worrier of House Starfire
          > Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
          > Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
          > In the Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra
          > 281-433-0347

        • Maria
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
            Ahh ok. I knew there was something wrong about the way I said it, but couldn't figure it out.

            Maria