Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newbie in SCA

  • Sydney Walker Freedman
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
      I LOVE wearing dresses and prefer medieval hose (the ones I have are made
      of linen).

      Pax Christi,
      Sydney
    • Maria

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
          ok, as far as mixing time periods, in clothing, most
          people try to wear clothes from one time/place in a
          single outfit, but there are no rules against having
          different outfits from different times and places.
          If you are interested in wearing pants and looser
          clothing I'd like to suggest you looking into some of
          the middle eastern garb. Lots of the clothing from
          Turkey, Persia, etc. consisted of pants, tunics and
          "coats" which are all very loose and comfortable and
          still feminine. Here is a link of an example of
          someone wearing some Turkish garb (I've been
          considering something like this for a while now. I
          just need to get motivated.)
          http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/6419/

          Another idea would be the loose fitting Viking style
          dresses. I've been making some French styled loose
          fitting dresses for working at events because theire
          like wearing pajamas instead of clothes. I love them
          and I'm not normally a fan of dresses.
          Hope this helps,
          Isabel

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Sydney Walker Freedman
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
            An then there's my favorite: the bliaut!

            Pax Christi,
            Sydney
          • foxfreya
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
              thanks for all the tips :) I have no time to reply now (first day at
              university and already loaded in work... sigh)

              but you almost had it right... it would be more like Bienvenue dans
              la SCA :) (because SCA is not a place but an organism)

              nice french tought ! :D

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Maria" <scarlettmb@s...> wrote:

> [...]
              well ... that's where Elizabeta came from.

              > I must mention tight clothing drives me mad (it's really an
              > important choosing matter) and that in general, I'm wearing pants
              > (no skirts, no dresses, but a couple of execeptions).
              >
              > Personally I hate wearing dresses also. I wear them for the SCA,
              but instead of wearing pantyhose (especially in the summer in
              Houston, TX) I wear a pair of biking shorts under the dresses or
              skirts. That's something you might want to consider if the reason
              for not wearing dresses or skirts is the same as mine (my thighs rub
              together and my legs get irritated). I have found that biking
              shorts or longer biking pants (capri's or ankle length) work really
              well.

              > I hope all this helped you. And sorry if my French above was
              horrible. Like I said, it's been 22 years.

            • Maria
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                Ahh ok. I knew there was something wrong about the way I said it, but couldn't figure it out.

                Maria