Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newbie in SCA

  • Sydney Walker Freedman
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
      Bienvenue et bon jour! (I appologize if any of that was spelled
      incorrectly. Most of the French I use, such as in music, is quite old,
      12th century, for example, and the spelling, pronunciation, and such were
      quite different then.) I'm a college student as well and am in the middle
      of my first year. I'm 18 and am studying early music at St. Olaf College
      in Minnesota (hence the Viking joke). I have lots of information on the
      13th century since my persona was born in the late 12th century and
      therefore should live through a good bit of the 13th. Let me know what
      specific information you are looking for.

      Pax Christi,
      Cecilia de Cambrige

      Pax Christi,
      Sydney
    • Maria
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
        First of all, Bienvenue au SCA (I think I spelled that right. It's been a while since I actually had to write in French. I speak a little French - just enough to get me into trouble if truth be told. It's been 22 years since I graduated from high school and that's where I learned it.)

        See below I inserted some stuff for you.

        In fact I mentionned some centuries, but I'm having an hard time
        choosing a timeline. 8-9th century appeals to me by it's simplicity
        and I just love those tunics. But 13th century (even in the 14th)
        seems cool too, as it's more sophisticated, yet not too much and has
        a wider range of garb to choose from. I can't choose ! Best would be
        to pick-and-mix but I'm really not sure about it being a good idea,
        even with a classical-type garment like a tunic.

        You could always do 2 persona's. I have 2. The first is my main persona, Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici, SSG. She is a member of the Medici family from Florence, however she was raised in France and now lives in England. She is a widow, only heir to her father's fortune and very happy to be alone and choose her own way in life. She likes it that way. She lives in 1350.

        The second persona doesn't really have a name except Maria. She is a 15th century Italian woman, who basically makes her way through life by doing whatever she has to. She's done lots of stuff. She's kind of dangerous and she's never been caught. She's a widow several times over and all her husbands have died of natural causes (as far as anyone can tell at least). She's never actually been registered, but I have this really nice English ren pattern and love the pattern so I made the dress. The second persona actually started out as my first persona when I started out in the SCA, but then I discovered the ease of 14th century Italian surcoats and ... well ... that's where Elizabeta came from.

        I must mention tight clothing drives me mad (it's really an
        important choosing matter) and that in general, I'm wearing pants
        (no skirts, no dresses, but a couple of execeptions).

        Personally I hate wearing dresses also. I wear them for the SCA, but instead of wearing pantyhose (especially in the summer in Houston, TX) I wear a pair of biking shorts under the dresses or skirts. That's something you might want to consider if the reason for not wearing dresses or skirts is the same as mine (my thighs rub together and my legs get irritated). I have found that biking shorts or longer biking pants (capri's or ankle length) work really well.

        I hope all this helped you. And sorry if my French above was horrible. Like I said, it's been 22 years.

        In Service to the Dream,
        Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici, SSG
        Maria Buchanan
        Official Worrier of House Starfire
        Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
        Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
        In the Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra
        281-433-0347

      • Sydney Walker Freedman
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
          I LOVE wearing dresses and prefer medieval hose (the ones I have are made
          of linen).

          Pax Christi,
          Sydney
        • Maria

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
              ok, as far as mixing time periods, in clothing, most
              people try to wear clothes from one time/place in a
              single outfit, but there are no rules against having
              different outfits from different times and places.
              If you are interested in wearing pants and looser
              clothing I'd like to suggest you looking into some of
              the middle eastern garb. Lots of the clothing from
              Turkey, Persia, etc. consisted of pants, tunics and
              "coats" which are all very loose and comfortable and
              still feminine. Here is a link of an example of
              someone wearing some Turkish garb (I've been
              considering something like this for a while now. I
              just need to get motivated.)
              http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/6419/

              Another idea would be the loose fitting Viking style
              dresses. I've been making some French styled loose
              fitting dresses for working at events because theire
              like wearing pajamas instead of clothes. I love them
              and I'm not normally a fan of dresses.
              Hope this helps,
              Isabel

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Sydney Walker Freedman
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                An then there's my favorite: the bliaut!

                Pax Christi,
                Sydney
              • foxfreya
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                  thanks for all the tips :) I have no time to reply now (first day at
                  university and already loaded in work... sigh)

                  but you almost had it right... it would be more like Bienvenue dans
                  la SCA :) (because SCA is not a place but an organism)

                  nice french tought ! :D

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Maria" <scarlettmb@s...> wrote:

> [...]
                  well ... that's where Elizabeta came from.

                  > I must mention tight clothing drives me mad (it's really an
                  > important choosing matter) and that in general, I'm wearing pants
                  > (no skirts, no dresses, but a couple of execeptions).
                  >
                  > Personally I hate wearing dresses also. I wear them for the SCA,
                  but instead of wearing pantyhose (especially in the summer in
                  Houston, TX) I wear a pair of biking shorts under the dresses or
                  skirts. That's something you might want to consider if the reason
                  for not wearing dresses or skirts is the same as mine (my thighs rub
                  together and my legs get irritated). I have found that biking
                  shorts or longer biking pants (capri's or ankle length) work really
                  well.

                  > I hope all this helped you. And sorry if my French above was
                  horrible. Like I said, it's been 22 years.

                • Maria
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                    Ahh ok. I knew there was something wrong about the way I said it, but couldn't figure it out.

                    Maria