Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newbie in SCA

  • Lori Williams
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
      Hi, my name is Lori and I too am totally new to the SCA (I just joined in Sep 05). I have found Stefan's Florilegium (www.florilegium.org) to be of immense help in gaining general information on all things SCAdian. Try that and see if it helps you any. Good luck, and feel free to write back if you want: wolfhaven6@... is my e-mail. I don't have a name or persona completey worked up yet, although I've attended two events so far. I am hopefully going to be able to go to GulfWars this March too! :-)
      foxfreya <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: hello there,

      I'm new to the list and to the SCA. so new in fact that i've never
      attended an SCA event yet. I am ressearching before creating a
      persona and clothes accordingly.

      I'm currently looking for info about mostly:
      -cooking/camping gear (and feast gear)
      -clothing in western or north europe around 8-9th century or 14-15th
      century
      -lifestyle of merchants (more on the whealthy side), scribe,
      accountant from thoses centuries
      -medieval names for the above mentionned regions

      as things go on, I hope in making here a couple of new friends or
      help someone else :)

      regards

      -FoxFreya

      Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

      ---------------------------------

    • Sydney Walker Freedman
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
        Hats off to Lord Stefan! I love the Florilegium (though I must say it's a
        prime place for keeping me distracted from my studies :) )! It's all
        categorized, very easy to navigate, and full of helpful and interesting
        information. It is the first place I go to when wanting to find
        information on SCA-related topics.

        > Hi, my name is Lori and I too am totally new to the SCA (I just joined in
        > Sep 05). I have found Stefan's Florilegium (www.florilegium.org) to be
        > of immense help in gaining general information on all things SCAdian.
        > Try that and see if it helps you any. Good luck, and feel free to write
        > back if you want: wolfhaven6@... is my e-mail. I don't have a
        > name or persona completey worked up yet, although I've attended two
        > events so far. I am hopefully going to be able to go to GulfWars this
        > March too! :-)
        > foxfreya wrote: hello there,
        >
        > I'm new to the list and to the SCA. so new in fact that i've never
        > attended an SCA event yet. I am ressearching before creating a
        > persona and clothes accordingly.
        >
        > I'm currently looking for info about mostly:
        > -cooking/camping gear (and feast gear)
        > -clothing in western or north europe around 8-9th century or 14-15th
        > century
        > -lifestyle of merchants (more on the whealthy side), scribe,
        > accountant from thoses centuries
        > -medieval names for the above mentionned regions
        >
        > as things go on, I hope in making here a couple of new friends or
        > help someone else :)
        >
        > regards
        >
        > -FoxFreya

        > Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative
        > anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

        > ---------------------------------

        > Medieval and renaissance costume
        > Society for creative anachronism
        > Medieval time dinner and tournament
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Pax Christi,
        Sydney
      • Sydney Walker Freedman
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
          Bienvenue et bon jour! (I appologize if any of that was spelled
          incorrectly. Most of the French I use, such as in music, is quite old,
          12th century, for example, and the spelling, pronunciation, and such were
          quite different then.) I'm a college student as well and am in the middle
          of my first year. I'm 18 and am studying early music at St. Olaf College
          in Minnesota (hence the Viking joke). I have lots of information on the
          13th century since my persona was born in the late 12th century and
          therefore should live through a good bit of the 13th. Let me know what
          specific information you are looking for.

          Pax Christi,
          Cecilia de Cambrige

          Pax Christi,
          Sydney
        • Maria
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
            First of all, Bienvenue au SCA (I think I spelled that right. It's been a while since I actually had to write in French. I speak a little French - just enough to get me into trouble if truth be told. It's been 22 years since I graduated from high school and that's where I learned it.)

            See below I inserted some stuff for you.

            In fact I mentionned some centuries, but I'm having an hard time
            choosing a timeline. 8-9th century appeals to me by it's simplicity
            and I just love those tunics. But 13th century (even in the 14th)
            seems cool too, as it's more sophisticated, yet not too much and has
            a wider range of garb to choose from. I can't choose ! Best would be
            to pick-and-mix but I'm really not sure about it being a good idea,
            even with a classical-type garment like a tunic.

            You could always do 2 persona's. I have 2. The first is my main persona, Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici, SSG. She is a member of the Medici family from Florence, however she was raised in France and now lives in England. She is a widow, only heir to her father's fortune and very happy to be alone and choose her own way in life. She likes it that way. She lives in 1350.

            The second persona doesn't really have a name except Maria. She is a 15th century Italian woman, who basically makes her way through life by doing whatever she has to. She's done lots of stuff. She's kind of dangerous and she's never been caught. She's a widow several times over and all her husbands have died of natural causes (as far as anyone can tell at least). She's never actually been registered, but I have this really nice English ren pattern and love the pattern so I made the dress. The second persona actually started out as my first persona when I started out in the SCA, but then I discovered the ease of 14th century Italian surcoats and ... well ... that's where Elizabeta came from.

            I must mention tight clothing drives me mad (it's really an
            important choosing matter) and that in general, I'm wearing pants
            (no skirts, no dresses, but a couple of execeptions).

            Personally I hate wearing dresses also. I wear them for the SCA, but instead of wearing pantyhose (especially in the summer in Houston, TX) I wear a pair of biking shorts under the dresses or skirts. That's something you might want to consider if the reason for not wearing dresses or skirts is the same as mine (my thighs rub together and my legs get irritated). I have found that biking shorts or longer biking pants (capri's or ankle length) work really well.

            I hope all this helped you. And sorry if my French above was horrible. Like I said, it's been 22 years.

            In Service to the Dream,
            Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici, SSG
            Maria Buchanan
            Official Worrier of House Starfire
            Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
            Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
            In the Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra
            281-433-0347

          • Sydney Walker Freedman
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
              I LOVE wearing dresses and prefer medieval hose (the ones I have are made
              of linen).

              Pax Christi,
              Sydney
            • Maria

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                  ok, as far as mixing time periods, in clothing, most
                  people try to wear clothes from one time/place in a
                  single outfit, but there are no rules against having
                  different outfits from different times and places.
                  If you are interested in wearing pants and looser
                  clothing I'd like to suggest you looking into some of
                  the middle eastern garb. Lots of the clothing from
                  Turkey, Persia, etc. consisted of pants, tunics and
                  "coats" which are all very loose and comfortable and
                  still feminine. Here is a link of an example of
                  someone wearing some Turkish garb (I've been
                  considering something like this for a while now. I
                  just need to get motivated.)
                  http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/6419/

                  Another idea would be the loose fitting Viking style
                  dresses. I've been making some French styled loose
                  fitting dresses for working at events because theire
                  like wearing pajamas instead of clothes. I love them
                  and I'm not normally a fan of dresses.
                  Hope this helps,
                  Isabel

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Sydney Walker Freedman
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                    An then there's my favorite: the bliaut!

                    Pax Christi,
                    Sydney
                  • foxfreya
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                      thanks for all the tips :) I have no time to reply now (first day at
                      university and already loaded in work... sigh)

                      but you almost had it right... it would be more like Bienvenue dans
                      la SCA :) (because SCA is not a place but an organism)

                      nice french tought ! :D

                      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Maria" <scarlettmb@s...> wrote:

> [...]
                      well ... that's where Elizabeta came from.

                      > I must mention tight clothing drives me mad (it's really an
                      > important choosing matter) and that in general, I'm wearing pants
                      > (no skirts, no dresses, but a couple of execeptions).
                      >
                      > Personally I hate wearing dresses also. I wear them for the SCA,
                      but instead of wearing pantyhose (especially in the summer in
                      Houston, TX) I wear a pair of biking shorts under the dresses or
                      skirts. That's something you might want to consider if the reason
                      for not wearing dresses or skirts is the same as mine (my thighs rub
                      together and my legs get irritated). I have found that biking
                      shorts or longer biking pants (capri's or ankle length) work really
                      well.

                      > I hope all this helped you. And sorry if my French above was
                      horrible. Like I said, it's been 22 years.

                    • Maria
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                        Ahh ok. I knew there was something wrong about the way I said it, but couldn't figure it out.

                        Maria