Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newbie in SCA

  • foxfreya
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
      Very sorry I forgot to introduce myself
      to make it short and sweet (no choice, have to leave in about half
      an hour for first day of university :)), I'm a 21 years old girl (or
      woman ? :P) I just got 21 2 months ago in november.

      I live near Montreal, Province of Quebec, in Canada. This means I
      speak french as my first language. If someone ever needs assistance
      with that language...

      In fact I mentionned some centuries, but I'm having an hard time
      choosing a timeline. 8-9th century appeals to me by it's simplicity
      and I just love those tunics. But 13th century (even in the 14th)
      seems cool too, as it's more sophisticated, yet not too much and has
      a wider range of garb to choose from. I can't choose ! Best would be
      to pick-and-mix but I'm really not sure about it being a good idea,
      even with a classical-type garment like a tunic.

      I must mention tight clothing drives me mad (it's really an
      important choosing matter) and that in general, I'm wearing pants
      (no skirts, no dresses, but a couple of execeptions). I'm not really
      fond of today's clothing because with my 175 lbs and 5'6, I'm not
      quite exactly a superstar model, but more that that, I think I look
      weird in women clothing because I have quite a stature (large
      shoulders, large hands, large/long feets, etc)... I DO retain a lot
      more genetically from my father than my mother (at least for
      apparence matters)

      It is difficult for me to buy women shoes (I at least wear 11 for
      women or 8 to 9 in men shoes) even for mundane clothing. Well I
      guess you get the point, I have a weird size :P

      anyway I hope this helps a bit... I remember going to the name
      archives but it was down to a certain extend if I remember well.
      I'll go look again.

      thanks

      -Mylene (this my name :P)

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Sydney Walker Freedman"
      <freedmas@s...> wrote:

      > A good place to go for information on feast gear is
      > http://www.geocities.com/karen_larsdatter/feastgear.htm. As far as
      > clothing goes, that depends on the culture you are from. In the
      14th and
      > 15th centuries in much of northern Europe, cotehardies, surcoats,
      kirtles,
      > houpelandes, Burgundian gowns, early Italian renaissance gowns
      (such as
      > ciappas), and other styles were common. Google the terms, and you
      should
      > find some good information. (Most of the things I mentioned are
      women's
      > garments, but cotehardies and houpelandes can go either way. I
      > appologize, but I don't know what your name, and therefore your
      gender,
      > is.) As far as lifestyle goes, I'm not sure of any good sources
      that
      > explain it, but reading period literature can be very helpful with
      this
      > aspect. For names, go to the Medieval Names Archive. I don't
      know the
      > web address off hand, but if you Google it, you should find it. I
      don't
      > know much about 8th-9th century topics, but I do know of some good
      Viking
      > resources (after all, I'm at the College of Nordleigh!) , which
      cover that
      > time period. Let me know if you are interested. I hope this
      helps.

      > Pax Christi,
      > Cecilia de Cambrige (who is late 12th-century Anglo-Norman)
      >
      > > hello there,
      > >
      > > I'm new to the list and to the SCA. so new in fact that i've
      never
      > > attended an SCA event yet. I am ressearching before creating a
      > > persona and clothes accordingly.
      > >
      > > I'm currently looking for info about mostly:
      > > -cooking/camping gear (and feast gear)
      > > -clothing in western or north europe around 8-9th century or 14-
      15th
      > > century
      > > -lifestyle of merchants (more on the whealthy side), scribe,
      > > accountant from thoses centuries
      > > -medieval names for the above mentionned regions
      > >
      > > as things go on, I hope in making here a couple of new friends
      or
      > > help someone else :)
      > >
      > > regards
      > >
      > > -FoxFreya

      > > Medieval and renaissance costume
      > > Society for creative anachronism
      > > Medieval time dinner and tournament
      > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      > > Visit your group "scanewcomers" on the web.
      Service.

      > Pax Christi,
      > Sydney

    • Lori Williams
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
        Hi, my name is Lori and I too am totally new to the SCA (I just joined in Sep 05). I have found Stefan's Florilegium (www.florilegium.org) to be of immense help in gaining general information on all things SCAdian. Try that and see if it helps you any. Good luck, and feel free to write back if you want: wolfhaven6@... is my e-mail. I don't have a name or persona completey worked up yet, although I've attended two events so far. I am hopefully going to be able to go to GulfWars this March too! :-)
        foxfreya <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: hello there,

        I'm new to the list and to the SCA. so new in fact that i've never
        attended an SCA event yet. I am ressearching before creating a
        persona and clothes accordingly.

        I'm currently looking for info about mostly:
        -cooking/camping gear (and feast gear)
        -clothing in western or north europe around 8-9th century or 14-15th
        century
        -lifestyle of merchants (more on the whealthy side), scribe,
        accountant from thoses centuries
        -medieval names for the above mentionned regions

        as things go on, I hope in making here a couple of new friends or
        help someone else :)

        regards

        -FoxFreya

        Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

        ---------------------------------

      • Sydney Walker Freedman
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
          Hats off to Lord Stefan! I love the Florilegium (though I must say it's a
          prime place for keeping me distracted from my studies :) )! It's all
          categorized, very easy to navigate, and full of helpful and interesting
          information. It is the first place I go to when wanting to find
          information on SCA-related topics.

          > Hi, my name is Lori and I too am totally new to the SCA (I just joined in
          > Sep 05). I have found Stefan's Florilegium (www.florilegium.org) to be
          > of immense help in gaining general information on all things SCAdian.
          > Try that and see if it helps you any. Good luck, and feel free to write
          > back if you want: wolfhaven6@... is my e-mail. I don't have a
          > name or persona completey worked up yet, although I've attended two
          > events so far. I am hopefully going to be able to go to GulfWars this
          > March too! :-)
          > foxfreya wrote: hello there,
          >
          > I'm new to the list and to the SCA. so new in fact that i've never
          > attended an SCA event yet. I am ressearching before creating a
          > persona and clothes accordingly.
          >
          > I'm currently looking for info about mostly:
          > -cooking/camping gear (and feast gear)
          > -clothing in western or north europe around 8-9th century or 14-15th
          > century
          > -lifestyle of merchants (more on the whealthy side), scribe,
          > accountant from thoses centuries
          > -medieval names for the above mentionned regions
          >
          > as things go on, I hope in making here a couple of new friends or
          > help someone else :)
          >
          > regards
          >
          > -FoxFreya

          > Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative
          > anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

          > ---------------------------------

          > Medieval and renaissance costume
          > Society for creative anachronism
          > Medieval time dinner and tournament
          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Pax Christi,
          Sydney
        • Sydney Walker Freedman
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
            Bienvenue et bon jour! (I appologize if any of that was spelled
            incorrectly. Most of the French I use, such as in music, is quite old,
            12th century, for example, and the spelling, pronunciation, and such were
            quite different then.) I'm a college student as well and am in the middle
            of my first year. I'm 18 and am studying early music at St. Olaf College
            in Minnesota (hence the Viking joke). I have lots of information on the
            13th century since my persona was born in the late 12th century and
            therefore should live through a good bit of the 13th. Let me know what
            specific information you are looking for.

            Pax Christi,
            Cecilia de Cambrige

            Pax Christi,
            Sydney
          • Maria
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
              First of all, Bienvenue au SCA (I think I spelled that right. It's been a while since I actually had to write in French. I speak a little French - just enough to get me into trouble if truth be told. It's been 22 years since I graduated from high school and that's where I learned it.)

              See below I inserted some stuff for you.

              In fact I mentionned some centuries, but I'm having an hard time
              choosing a timeline. 8-9th century appeals to me by it's simplicity
              and I just love those tunics. But 13th century (even in the 14th)
              seems cool too, as it's more sophisticated, yet not too much and has
              a wider range of garb to choose from. I can't choose ! Best would be
              to pick-and-mix but I'm really not sure about it being a good idea,
              even with a classical-type garment like a tunic.

              You could always do 2 persona's. I have 2. The first is my main persona, Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici, SSG. She is a member of the Medici family from Florence, however she was raised in France and now lives in England. She is a widow, only heir to her father's fortune and very happy to be alone and choose her own way in life. She likes it that way. She lives in 1350.

              The second persona doesn't really have a name except Maria. She is a 15th century Italian woman, who basically makes her way through life by doing whatever she has to. She's done lots of stuff. She's kind of dangerous and she's never been caught. She's a widow several times over and all her husbands have died of natural causes (as far as anyone can tell at least). She's never actually been registered, but I have this really nice English ren pattern and love the pattern so I made the dress. The second persona actually started out as my first persona when I started out in the SCA, but then I discovered the ease of 14th century Italian surcoats and ... well ... that's where Elizabeta came from.

              I must mention tight clothing drives me mad (it's really an
              important choosing matter) and that in general, I'm wearing pants
              (no skirts, no dresses, but a couple of execeptions).

              Personally I hate wearing dresses also. I wear them for the SCA, but instead of wearing pantyhose (especially in the summer in Houston, TX) I wear a pair of biking shorts under the dresses or skirts. That's something you might want to consider if the reason for not wearing dresses or skirts is the same as mine (my thighs rub together and my legs get irritated). I have found that biking shorts or longer biking pants (capri's or ankle length) work really well.

              I hope all this helped you. And sorry if my French above was horrible. Like I said, it's been 22 years.

              In Service to the Dream,
              Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici, SSG
              Maria Buchanan
              Official Worrier of House Starfire
              Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
              Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
              In the Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra
              281-433-0347

            • Sydney Walker Freedman
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                I LOVE wearing dresses and prefer medieval hose (the ones I have are made
                of linen).

                Pax Christi,
                Sydney
              • Maria

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                    ok, as far as mixing time periods, in clothing, most
                    people try to wear clothes from one time/place in a
                    single outfit, but there are no rules against having
                    different outfits from different times and places.
                    If you are interested in wearing pants and looser
                    clothing I'd like to suggest you looking into some of
                    the middle eastern garb. Lots of the clothing from
                    Turkey, Persia, etc. consisted of pants, tunics and
                    "coats" which are all very loose and comfortable and
                    still feminine. Here is a link of an example of
                    someone wearing some Turkish garb (I've been
                    considering something like this for a while now. I
                    just need to get motivated.)
                    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/6419/

                    Another idea would be the loose fitting Viking style
                    dresses. I've been making some French styled loose
                    fitting dresses for working at events because theire
                    like wearing pajamas instead of clothes. I love them
                    and I'm not normally a fan of dresses.
                    Hope this helps,
                    Isabel

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Sydney Walker Freedman
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                      An then there's my favorite: the bliaut!

                      Pax Christi,
                      Sydney
                    • foxfreya
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                        thanks for all the tips :) I have no time to reply now (first day at
                        university and already loaded in work... sigh)

                        but you almost had it right... it would be more like Bienvenue dans
                        la SCA :) (because SCA is not a place but an organism)

                        nice french tought ! :D

                        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Maria" <scarlettmb@s...> wrote:

> [...]
                        well ... that's where Elizabeta came from.

                        > I must mention tight clothing drives me mad (it's really an
                        > important choosing matter) and that in general, I'm wearing pants
                        > (no skirts, no dresses, but a couple of execeptions).
                        >
                        > Personally I hate wearing dresses also. I wear them for the SCA,
                        but instead of wearing pantyhose (especially in the summer in
                        Houston, TX) I wear a pair of biking shorts under the dresses or
                        skirts. That's something you might want to consider if the reason
                        for not wearing dresses or skirts is the same as mine (my thighs rub
                        together and my legs get irritated). I have found that biking
                        shorts or longer biking pants (capri's or ankle length) work really
                        well.

                        > I hope all this helped you. And sorry if my French above was
                        horrible. Like I said, it's been 22 years.

                      • Maria
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                          Ahh ok. I knew there was something wrong about the way I said it, but couldn't figure it out.

                          Maria