Newbie in SCA

  • foxfreya
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 9, 2006
      hello there,

      I'm new to the list and to the SCA. so new in fact that i've never
      attended an SCA event yet. I am ressearching before creating a
      persona and clothes accordingly.

      I'm currently looking for info about mostly:
      -cooking/camping gear (and feast gear)
      -clothing in western or north europe around 8-9th century or 14-15th
      century
      -lifestyle of merchants (more on the whealthy side), scribe,
      accountant from thoses centuries
      -medieval names for the above mentionned regions

      as things go on, I hope in making here a couple of new friends or
      help someone else :)

      regards

      -FoxFreya
    • Sydney Walker Freedman
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 9, 2006
        A good place to go for information on feast gear is
        http://www.geocities.com/karen_larsdatter/feastgear.htm. As far as
        clothing goes, that depends on the culture you are from. In the 14th and
        15th centuries in much of northern Europe, cotehardies, surcoats, kirtles,
        houpelandes, Burgundian gowns, early Italian renaissance gowns (such as
        ciappas), and other styles were common. Google the terms, and you should
        find some good information. (Most of the things I mentioned are women's
        garments, but cotehardies and houpelandes can go either way. I
        appologize, but I don't know what your name, and therefore your gender,
        is.) As far as lifestyle goes, I'm not sure of any good sources that
        explain it, but reading period literature can be very helpful with this
        aspect. For names, go to the Medieval Names Archive. I don't know the
        web address off hand, but if you Google it, you should find it. I don't
        know much about 8th-9th century topics, but I do know of some good Viking
        resources (after all, I'm at the College of Nordleigh!) , which cover that
        time period. Let me know if you are interested. I hope this helps.

        Pax Christi,
        Cecilia de Cambrige (who is late 12th-century Anglo-Norman)

        > hello there,
        >
        > I'm new to the list and to the SCA. so new in fact that i've never
        > attended an SCA event yet. I am ressearching before creating a
        > persona and clothes accordingly.
        >
        > I'm currently looking for info about mostly:
        > -cooking/camping gear (and feast gear)
        > -clothing in western or north europe around 8-9th century or 14-15th
        > century
        > -lifestyle of merchants (more on the whealthy side), scribe,
        > accountant from thoses centuries
        > -medieval names for the above mentionned regions
        >
        > as things go on, I hope in making here a couple of new friends or
        > help someone else :)
        >
        > regards
        >
        > -FoxFreya

        > Medieval and renaissance costume
        > Society for creative anachronism
        > Medieval time dinner and tournament
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Pax Christi,
        Sydney
      • Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 9, 2006
          Greetings!

          I can't answer for much else other than the names:

          Take a look through the Medieval Names Archives at the Academy of Saint
          Gabriel:
          http://www.s-gabriel.org/names

          There are a great many articles there that you can peruse through to get
          ideas for names...all of which are documentable to the SCA period.

          Until the next time,
          Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
          Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir
          Deodar Pursuivant & Armorialist
          Member of the Academy of St. Gabriel
          Heraldic Student to HE Master Modar Neznanich

          On 1/9/06, foxfreya <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          > hello there,
          >
          > I'm new to the list and to the SCA. so new in fact that i've never
          > attended an SCA event yet. I am ressearching before creating a
          > persona and clothes accordingly.
          >
          > I'm currently looking for info about mostly:
          > -cooking/camping gear (and feast gear)
          > -clothing in western or north europe around 8-9th century or 14-15th
          > century
          > -lifestyle of merchants (more on the whealthy side), scribe,
          > accountant from thoses centuries
          > -medieval names for the above mentionned regions
          >
          > as things go on, I hope in making here a couple of new friends or
          > help someone else :)
          >
          > regards
          >
          > -FoxFreya

        • foxfreya
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
            Very sorry I forgot to introduce myself
            to make it short and sweet (no choice, have to leave in about half
            an hour for first day of university :)), I'm a 21 years old girl (or
            woman ? :P) I just got 21 2 months ago in november.

            I live near Montreal, Province of Quebec, in Canada. This means I
            speak french as my first language. If someone ever needs assistance
            with that language...

            In fact I mentionned some centuries, but I'm having an hard time
            choosing a timeline. 8-9th century appeals to me by it's simplicity
            and I just love those tunics. But 13th century (even in the 14th)
            seems cool too, as it's more sophisticated, yet not too much and has
            a wider range of garb to choose from. I can't choose ! Best would be
            to pick-and-mix but I'm really not sure about it being a good idea,
            even with a classical-type garment like a tunic.

            I must mention tight clothing drives me mad (it's really an
            important choosing matter) and that in general, I'm wearing pants
            (no skirts, no dresses, but a couple of execeptions). I'm not really
            fond of today's clothing because with my 175 lbs and 5'6, I'm not
            quite exactly a superstar model, but more that that, I think I look
            weird in women clothing because I have quite a stature (large
            shoulders, large hands, large/long feets, etc)... I DO retain a lot
            more genetically from my father than my mother (at least for
            apparence matters)

            It is difficult for me to buy women shoes (I at least wear 11 for
            women or 8 to 9 in men shoes) even for mundane clothing. Well I
            guess you get the point, I have a weird size :P

            anyway I hope this helps a bit... I remember going to the name
            archives but it was down to a certain extend if I remember well.
            I'll go look again.

            thanks

            -Mylene (this my name :P)

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Sydney Walker Freedman"
            <freedmas@s...> wrote:

            > A good place to go for information on feast gear is
            > http://www.geocities.com/karen_larsdatter/feastgear.htm. As far as
            > clothing goes, that depends on the culture you are from. In the
            14th and
            > 15th centuries in much of northern Europe, cotehardies, surcoats,
            kirtles,
            > houpelandes, Burgundian gowns, early Italian renaissance gowns
            (such as
            > ciappas), and other styles were common. Google the terms, and you
            should
            > find some good information. (Most of the things I mentioned are
            women's
            > garments, but cotehardies and houpelandes can go either way. I
            > appologize, but I don't know what your name, and therefore your
            gender,
            > is.) As far as lifestyle goes, I'm not sure of any good sources
            that
            > explain it, but reading period literature can be very helpful with
            this
            > aspect. For names, go to the Medieval Names Archive. I don't
            know the
            > web address off hand, but if you Google it, you should find it. I
            don't
            > know much about 8th-9th century topics, but I do know of some good
            Viking
            > resources (after all, I'm at the College of Nordleigh!) , which
            cover that
            > time period. Let me know if you are interested. I hope this
            helps.

            > Pax Christi,
            > Cecilia de Cambrige (who is late 12th-century Anglo-Norman)
            >
            > > hello there,
            > >
            > > I'm new to the list and to the SCA. so new in fact that i've
            never
            > > attended an SCA event yet. I am ressearching before creating a
            > > persona and clothes accordingly.
            > >
            > > I'm currently looking for info about mostly:
            > > -cooking/camping gear (and feast gear)
            > > -clothing in western or north europe around 8-9th century or 14-
            15th
            > > century
            > > -lifestyle of merchants (more on the whealthy side), scribe,
            > > accountant from thoses centuries
            > > -medieval names for the above mentionned regions
            > >
            > > as things go on, I hope in making here a couple of new friends
            or
            > > help someone else :)
            > >
            > > regards
            > >
            > > -FoxFreya

            > > Medieval and renaissance costume
            > > Society for creative anachronism
            > > Medieval time dinner and tournament
            > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            > > Visit your group "scanewcomers" on the web.
            Service.

            > Pax Christi,
            > Sydney

          • Lori Williams
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
              Hi, my name is Lori and I too am totally new to the SCA (I just joined in Sep 05). I have found Stefan's Florilegium (www.florilegium.org) to be of immense help in gaining general information on all things SCAdian. Try that and see if it helps you any. Good luck, and feel free to write back if you want: wolfhaven6@... is my e-mail. I don't have a name or persona completey worked up yet, although I've attended two events so far. I am hopefully going to be able to go to GulfWars this March too! :-)
              foxfreya <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: hello there,

              I'm new to the list and to the SCA. so new in fact that i've never
              attended an SCA event yet. I am ressearching before creating a
              persona and clothes accordingly.

              I'm currently looking for info about mostly:
              -cooking/camping gear (and feast gear)
              -clothing in western or north europe around 8-9th century or 14-15th
              century
              -lifestyle of merchants (more on the whealthy side), scribe,
              accountant from thoses centuries
              -medieval names for the above mentionned regions

              as things go on, I hope in making here a couple of new friends or
              help someone else :)

              regards

              -FoxFreya

              Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

              ---------------------------------

            • Sydney Walker Freedman
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                Hats off to Lord Stefan! I love the Florilegium (though I must say it's a
                prime place for keeping me distracted from my studies :) )! It's all
                categorized, very easy to navigate, and full of helpful and interesting
                information. It is the first place I go to when wanting to find
                information on SCA-related topics.

                > Hi, my name is Lori and I too am totally new to the SCA (I just joined in
                > Sep 05). I have found Stefan's Florilegium (www.florilegium.org) to be
                > of immense help in gaining general information on all things SCAdian.
                > Try that and see if it helps you any. Good luck, and feel free to write
                > back if you want: wolfhaven6@... is my e-mail. I don't have a
                > name or persona completey worked up yet, although I've attended two
                > events so far. I am hopefully going to be able to go to GulfWars this
                > March too! :-)
                > foxfreya wrote: hello there,
                >
                > I'm new to the list and to the SCA. so new in fact that i've never
                > attended an SCA event yet. I am ressearching before creating a
                > persona and clothes accordingly.
                >
                > I'm currently looking for info about mostly:
                > -cooking/camping gear (and feast gear)
                > -clothing in western or north europe around 8-9th century or 14-15th
                > century
                > -lifestyle of merchants (more on the whealthy side), scribe,
                > accountant from thoses centuries
                > -medieval names for the above mentionned regions
                >
                > as things go on, I hope in making here a couple of new friends or
                > help someone else :)
                >
                > regards
                >
                > -FoxFreya

                > Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative
                > anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

                > ---------------------------------

                > Medieval and renaissance costume
                > Society for creative anachronism
                > Medieval time dinner and tournament
                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                Pax Christi,
                Sydney
              • Sydney Walker Freedman
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                  Bienvenue et bon jour! (I appologize if any of that was spelled
                  incorrectly. Most of the French I use, such as in music, is quite old,
                  12th century, for example, and the spelling, pronunciation, and such were
                  quite different then.) I'm a college student as well and am in the middle
                  of my first year. I'm 18 and am studying early music at St. Olaf College
                  in Minnesota (hence the Viking joke). I have lots of information on the
                  13th century since my persona was born in the late 12th century and
                  therefore should live through a good bit of the 13th. Let me know what
                  specific information you are looking for.

                  Pax Christi,
                  Cecilia de Cambrige

                  Pax Christi,
                  Sydney
                • Maria
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                    First of all, Bienvenue au SCA (I think I spelled that right. It's been a while since I actually had to write in French. I speak a little French - just enough to get me into trouble if truth be told. It's been 22 years since I graduated from high school and that's where I learned it.)

                    See below I inserted some stuff for you.

                    In fact I mentionned some centuries, but I'm having an hard time
                    choosing a timeline. 8-9th century appeals to me by it's simplicity
                    and I just love those tunics. But 13th century (even in the 14th)
                    seems cool too, as it's more sophisticated, yet not too much and has
                    a wider range of garb to choose from. I can't choose ! Best would be
                    to pick-and-mix but I'm really not sure about it being a good idea,
                    even with a classical-type garment like a tunic.

                    You could always do 2 persona's. I have 2. The first is my main persona, Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici, SSG. She is a member of the Medici family from Florence, however she was raised in France and now lives in England. She is a widow, only heir to her father's fortune and very happy to be alone and choose her own way in life. She likes it that way. She lives in 1350.

                    The second persona doesn't really have a name except Maria. She is a 15th century Italian woman, who basically makes her way through life by doing whatever she has to. She's done lots of stuff. She's kind of dangerous and she's never been caught. She's a widow several times over and all her husbands have died of natural causes (as far as anyone can tell at least). She's never actually been registered, but I have this really nice English ren pattern and love the pattern so I made the dress. The second persona actually started out as my first persona when I started out in the SCA, but then I discovered the ease of 14th century Italian surcoats and ... well ... that's where Elizabeta came from.

                    I must mention tight clothing drives me mad (it's really an
                    important choosing matter) and that in general, I'm wearing pants
                    (no skirts, no dresses, but a couple of execeptions).

                    Personally I hate wearing dresses also. I wear them for the SCA, but instead of wearing pantyhose (especially in the summer in Houston, TX) I wear a pair of biking shorts under the dresses or skirts. That's something you might want to consider if the reason for not wearing dresses or skirts is the same as mine (my thighs rub together and my legs get irritated). I have found that biking shorts or longer biking pants (capri's or ankle length) work really well.

                    I hope all this helped you. And sorry if my French above was horrible. Like I said, it's been 22 years.

                    In Service to the Dream,
                    Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici, SSG
                    Maria Buchanan
                    Official Worrier of House Starfire
                    Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
                    Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
                    In the Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra
                    281-433-0347

                  • Sydney Walker Freedman
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                      I LOVE wearing dresses and prefer medieval hose (the ones I have are made
                      of linen).

                      Pax Christi,
                      Sydney
                    • Maria

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                          ok, as far as mixing time periods, in clothing, most
                          people try to wear clothes from one time/place in a
                          single outfit, but there are no rules against having
                          different outfits from different times and places.
                          If you are interested in wearing pants and looser
                          clothing I'd like to suggest you looking into some of
                          the middle eastern garb. Lots of the clothing from
                          Turkey, Persia, etc. consisted of pants, tunics and
                          "coats" which are all very loose and comfortable and
                          still feminine. Here is a link of an example of
                          someone wearing some Turkish garb (I've been
                          considering something like this for a while now. I
                          just need to get motivated.)
                          http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/6419/

                          Another idea would be the loose fitting Viking style
                          dresses. I've been making some French styled loose
                          fitting dresses for working at events because theire
                          like wearing pajamas instead of clothes. I love them
                          and I'm not normally a fan of dresses.
                          Hope this helps,
                          Isabel

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Sydney Walker Freedman
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                            An then there's my favorite: the bliaut!

                            Pax Christi,
                            Sydney
                          • foxfreya
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                              thanks for all the tips :) I have no time to reply now (first day at
                              university and already loaded in work... sigh)

                              but you almost had it right... it would be more like Bienvenue dans
                              la SCA :) (because SCA is not a place but an organism)

                              nice french tought ! :D

                              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Maria" <scarlettmb@s...> wrote:

> [...]
                              well ... that's where Elizabeta came from.

                              > I must mention tight clothing drives me mad (it's really an
                              > important choosing matter) and that in general, I'm wearing pants
                              > (no skirts, no dresses, but a couple of execeptions).
                              >
                              > Personally I hate wearing dresses also. I wear them for the SCA,
                              but instead of wearing pantyhose (especially in the summer in
                              Houston, TX) I wear a pair of biking shorts under the dresses or
                              skirts. That's something you might want to consider if the reason
                              for not wearing dresses or skirts is the same as mine (my thighs rub
                              together and my legs get irritated). I have found that biking
                              shorts or longer biking pants (capri's or ankle length) work really
                              well.

                              > I hope all this helped you. And sorry if my French above was
                              horrible. Like I said, it's been 22 years.

                            • Maria
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                                Ahh ok. I knew there was something wrong about the way I said it, but couldn't figure it out.

                                Maria