Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newbie name help

  • Kristine Elliott
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2006
      On 1/5/06, Drewsylla ~Not Angelina~ <drewsylla@...> wrote:
      > I have always been partial to Isolde and would like to have that in my
      > name. Can anyone help me immerse myself into this more fully. I
      > really don't know how to go about it.
      > Thanks,
      > drewsylla

      Yes, Isolde is a lovely name. I don't know much about it.

      There is some discussion of the name here:
      http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?2328+0

      You might turn up some non-English examples if you search the complete
      Medieval Name Archive.

      Scolastica

      --
      http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

      "I have come to the conclusion that this administration values loyalty
      more than anything else, more than competence or, frankly, more than
      the truth." Rep. Christopher Shays.
    • Sydney Walker Freedman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2006
        I read somewhere that it comes from a Celtic (not sure which actual
        language) root meaning "beautiful." I have seen it in English, French,
        and Occitan forms: Isseut and Iseult (French); Ysolt, Isolda, and Yseuda
        (English); Yselda (Occitan). I have seen it in the German romances as
        Isolde but have not looked at period German given names, so I'm not sure
        if a German persona could use it though I don't see why not. By the way,
        from what country and time period is your persona?

        Pax Christi,
        Cecilia de Cambrige

        > One of the first places I generally send anyone asking about names is
        > to the
        > Academy of Saint Gabriel's Medieval Names Archives:
        > http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/
        >
        > The names there are all documented to period, and are SCA compatible.
        > Additionally, there are several articles that include name construction
        > information...depending on the culture.
        >
        > I'm not familiar enough with the name "Isolde" to know which
        > culture it
        > comes from...but this would be a good place to inquire if you cannot find
        > the name yourself.
        >
        > Additionally, I would have you ask your local herald to help research.
        > They
        > may either have a library of name books to dig through, or may be on a
        > mailing list (or 20) where other heralds can aide them in looking the
        > information up.
        >
        > Until the next time,
        > Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
        > Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir
        > Deodar Pursuivant & Armorialist
        >

        > On 1/5/06, Drewsylla ~Not Angelina~ wrote:
        > >
        > > I have always been partial to Isolde and would like to have that in my
        > > name. Can anyone help me immerse myself into this more fully. I
        > > really don't know how to go about it.
        > > Thanks,
        > > drewsylla

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS