Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newbie name help

  • Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2006
      One of the first places I generally send anyone asking about names is to the
      Academy of Saint Gabriel's Medieval Names Archives:
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/

      The names there are all documented to period, and are SCA compatible.
      Additionally, there are several articles that include name construction
      information...depending on the culture.

      I'm not familiar enough with the name "Isolde" to know which culture it
      comes from...but this would be a good place to inquire if you cannot find
      the name yourself.

      Additionally, I would have you ask your local herald to help research. They
      may either have a library of name books to dig through, or may be on a
      mailing list (or 20) where other heralds can aide them in looking the
      information up.

      Until the next time,
      Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
      Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir
      Deodar Pursuivant & Armorialist

      On 1/5/06, Drewsylla ~Not Angelina~ <drewsylla@...> wrote:

      > I have always been partial to Isolde and would like to have that in my
      > name. Can anyone help me immerse myself into this more fully. I
      > really don't know how to go about it.
      > Thanks,
      > drewsylla

    • Kristine Elliott
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2006
        On 1/5/06, Drewsylla ~Not Angelina~ <drewsylla@...> wrote:
        > I have always been partial to Isolde and would like to have that in my
        > name. Can anyone help me immerse myself into this more fully. I
        > really don't know how to go about it.
        > Thanks,
        > drewsylla

        Yes, Isolde is a lovely name. I don't know much about it.

        There is some discussion of the name here:
        http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?2328+0

        You might turn up some non-English examples if you search the complete
        Medieval Name Archive.

        Scolastica

        --
        http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

        "I have come to the conclusion that this administration values loyalty
        more than anything else, more than competence or, frankly, more than
        the truth." Rep. Christopher Shays.
      • Sydney Walker Freedman
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2006
          I read somewhere that it comes from a Celtic (not sure which actual
          language) root meaning "beautiful." I have seen it in English, French,
          and Occitan forms: Isseut and Iseult (French); Ysolt, Isolda, and Yseuda
          (English); Yselda (Occitan). I have seen it in the German romances as
          Isolde but have not looked at period German given names, so I'm not sure
          if a German persona could use it though I don't see why not. By the way,
          from what country and time period is your persona?

          Pax Christi,
          Cecilia de Cambrige

          > One of the first places I generally send anyone asking about names is
          > to the
          > Academy of Saint Gabriel's Medieval Names Archives:
          > http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/
          >
          > The names there are all documented to period, and are SCA compatible.
          > Additionally, there are several articles that include name construction
          > information...depending on the culture.
          >
          > I'm not familiar enough with the name "Isolde" to know which
          > culture it
          > comes from...but this would be a good place to inquire if you cannot find
          > the name yourself.
          >
          > Additionally, I would have you ask your local herald to help research.
          > They
          > may either have a library of name books to dig through, or may be on a
          > mailing list (or 20) where other heralds can aide them in looking the
          > information up.
          >
          > Until the next time,
          > Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
          > Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir
          > Deodar Pursuivant & Armorialist
          >

          > On 1/5/06, Drewsylla ~Not Angelina~ wrote:
          > >
          > > I have always been partial to Isolde and would like to have that in my
          > > name. Can anyone help me immerse myself into this more fully. I
          > > really don't know how to go about it.
          > > Thanks,
          > > drewsylla

          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS