Newbie name help

  • Drewsylla ~Not Angelina~
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2006
      I have always been partial to Isolde and would like to have that in my
      name. Can anyone help me immerse myself into this more fully. I
      really don't know how to go about it.
      Thanks,
      drewsylla
    • Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2006
        One of the first places I generally send anyone asking about names is to the
        Academy of Saint Gabriel's Medieval Names Archives:
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/

        The names there are all documented to period, and are SCA compatible.
        Additionally, there are several articles that include name construction
        information...depending on the culture.

        I'm not familiar enough with the name "Isolde" to know which culture it
        comes from...but this would be a good place to inquire if you cannot find
        the name yourself.

        Additionally, I would have you ask your local herald to help research. They
        may either have a library of name books to dig through, or may be on a
        mailing list (or 20) where other heralds can aide them in looking the
        information up.

        Until the next time,
        Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
        Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir
        Deodar Pursuivant & Armorialist

        On 1/5/06, Drewsylla ~Not Angelina~ <drewsylla@...> wrote:

        > I have always been partial to Isolde and would like to have that in my
        > name. Can anyone help me immerse myself into this more fully. I
        > really don't know how to go about it.
        > Thanks,
        > drewsylla

      • Kristine Elliott
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2006
          On 1/5/06, Drewsylla ~Not Angelina~ <drewsylla@...> wrote:
          > I have always been partial to Isolde and would like to have that in my
          > name. Can anyone help me immerse myself into this more fully. I
          > really don't know how to go about it.
          > Thanks,
          > drewsylla

          Yes, Isolde is a lovely name. I don't know much about it.

          There is some discussion of the name here:
          http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?2328+0

          You might turn up some non-English examples if you search the complete
          Medieval Name Archive.

          Scolastica

          --
          http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

          "I have come to the conclusion that this administration values loyalty
          more than anything else, more than competence or, frankly, more than
          the truth." Rep. Christopher Shays.
        • Sydney Walker Freedman
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2006
            I read somewhere that it comes from a Celtic (not sure which actual
            language) root meaning "beautiful." I have seen it in English, French,
            and Occitan forms: Isseut and Iseult (French); Ysolt, Isolda, and Yseuda
            (English); Yselda (Occitan). I have seen it in the German romances as
            Isolde but have not looked at period German given names, so I'm not sure
            if a German persona could use it though I don't see why not. By the way,
            from what country and time period is your persona?

            Pax Christi,
            Cecilia de Cambrige

            > One of the first places I generally send anyone asking about names is
            > to the
            > Academy of Saint Gabriel's Medieval Names Archives:
            > http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/
            >
            > The names there are all documented to period, and are SCA compatible.
            > Additionally, there are several articles that include name construction
            > information...depending on the culture.
            >
            > I'm not familiar enough with the name "Isolde" to know which
            > culture it
            > comes from...but this would be a good place to inquire if you cannot find
            > the name yourself.
            >
            > Additionally, I would have you ask your local herald to help research.
            > They
            > may either have a library of name books to dig through, or may be on a
            > mailing list (or 20) where other heralds can aide them in looking the
            > information up.
            >
            > Until the next time,
            > Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
            > Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir
            > Deodar Pursuivant & Armorialist
            >

            > On 1/5/06, Drewsylla ~Not Angelina~ wrote:
            > >
            > > I have always been partial to Isolde and would like to have that in my
            > > name. Can anyone help me immerse myself into this more fully. I
            > > really don't know how to go about it.
            > > Thanks,
            > > drewsylla

            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS