Re: [SCA Newcomers] new name

  • Kristine Elliott
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2005
      On 12/19/05, akashalareine <akashalareine@...> wrote:
      > G'day to all.
      > I have decided to change my name and I've become partial to Ysabel
      > Martine de la Marne. My question I guess is, how period is it? I'm
      > trying to stay in a period 15th century French or earlier (haven't
      > quite pinpointed the exact time yet). Any help is greatly appreciated.
      > YIS
      > Nadja

      You know, I should have asked where you got "de la Marne" from. I
      jumped to the conclusion that it was from the Marne River, but I
      should have asked. Sorry. The next paragraph is written as though that
      conclusion is correct, but feel free to tell me if it isn't.

      Are you interested specifically in being from the Marne river valley
      or is the sound of "de la Marne" more important to you? The reason I
      ask, is that so far as I can tell (which isn't definitive) the French
      didn't do locatives that mean "of the river-name", but I did find a
      place name called La Marne. In Dauzat & Rostaing on p437 I found a
      listing for a town called La Marne in the Department of
      Loire-Atlantique: "Marne (La), Loire-Atl. (de Marnis 1062) : obscur;
      p.-ê. fr. marne." According to
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communes_of_the_Loire-Atlantique_d%C3%A9partement
      , La Marne is a commune in Loire-Atlantique. Someone on SCA Heralds
      suggested that the "de Marnis" citation is probably in Latin, so as my
      best guess "de la Marne" would be correct in French. If you submit it,
      allow changes and they can correct it if necessary. (To the best of my
      knowledge, sticking "de" in front of a modern French place name
      creates a registerable locative byname, but it is better to be safe
      than sorry.)

      Let me know what you think and if you want me to dig around for any
      more information.

      Scolastica

      --
      http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

      "I have come to the conclusion that this administration values loyalty
      more than anything else, more than competence or, frankly, more than
      the truth." Rep. Christopher Shays.