Re: [SCA Newcomers] new name

  • alexandra
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19, 2005
      Yes please. Thank you for your help thus far. : ).

      Nadja
      Kristine Elliott <souriete@...> wrote:
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/latebreton/ has the forms
      Ysabelle dated to the 16th century.

      http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/paris.html lists both Ysabel
      and Martine dated to 1292 in Paris

      I checked through all of the 15th century articles on French names at
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/french.shtml and could not find any
      with two given names. These lists are rather short, but if it was a
      rare occurance, I would expect it to show up once or twice even in a
      collection of short lists like these. It may be registerable anyway,
      as a step from period practice (or "weirdness") but if you want a more
      period name, you should pick one of the two given names.

      I would have to look into "de la Marne" further because I believe the
      Marne is a river name (if it is also the name of a settlement, please
      let me know) and I don't KNOW that they used river names in locatives
      in medieval France. The fastest thing might be for me to post the
      name to the SCA Heralds list and see what they think; there are
      probably people there who are much more familiar with French than
      myself. Would you like me to?

      Scolastica

      --
      http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

      "I have come to the conclusion that this administration values loyalty
      more than anything else, more than competence or, frankly, more than
      the truth." Rep. Christopher Shays.

      Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

    • Kristine Elliott
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 20, 2005
        On 12/19/05, akashalareine <akashalareine@...> wrote:
        > G'day to all.
        > I have decided to change my name and I've become partial to Ysabel
        > Martine de la Marne. My question I guess is, how period is it? I'm
        > trying to stay in a period 15th century French or earlier (haven't
        > quite pinpointed the exact time yet). Any help is greatly appreciated.
        > YIS
        > Nadja

        You know, I should have asked where you got "de la Marne" from. I
        jumped to the conclusion that it was from the Marne River, but I
        should have asked. Sorry. The next paragraph is written as though that
        conclusion is correct, but feel free to tell me if it isn't.

        Are you interested specifically in being from the Marne river valley
        or is the sound of "de la Marne" more important to you? The reason I
        ask, is that so far as I can tell (which isn't definitive) the French
        didn't do locatives that mean "of the river-name", but I did find a
        place name called La Marne. In Dauzat & Rostaing on p437 I found a
        listing for a town called La Marne in the Department of
        Loire-Atlantique: "Marne (La), Loire-Atl. (de Marnis 1062) : obscur;
        p.-ê. fr. marne." According to
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communes_of_the_Loire-Atlantique_d%C3%A9partement
        , La Marne is a commune in Loire-Atlantique. Someone on SCA Heralds
        suggested that the "de Marnis" citation is probably in Latin, so as my
        best guess "de la Marne" would be correct in French. If you submit it,
        allow changes and they can correct it if necessary. (To the best of my
        knowledge, sticking "de" in front of a modern French place name
        creates a registerable locative byname, but it is better to be safe
        than sorry.)

        Let me know what you think and if you want me to dig around for any
        more information.

        Scolastica