new name

  • akashalareine
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19, 2005
      G'day to all.
      I have decided to change my name and I've become partial to Ysabel
      Martine de la Marne. My question I guess is, how period is it? I'm
      trying to stay in a period 15th century French or earlier (haven't
      quite pinpointed the exact time yet). Any help is greatly appreciated.
      YIS
      Nadja
    • Kristine Elliott
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 19, 2005
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/latebreton/ has the forms
        Ysabelle dated to the 16th century.

        http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/paris.html lists both Ysabel
        and Martine dated to 1292 in Paris

        I checked through all of the 15th century articles on French names at
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/french.shtml and could not find any
        with two given names. These lists are rather short, but if it was a
        rare occurance, I would expect it to show up once or twice even in a
        collection of short lists like these. It may be registerable anyway,
        as a step from period practice (or "weirdness") but if you want a more
        period name, you should pick one of the two given names.

        I would have to look into "de la Marne" further because I believe the
        Marne is a river name (if it is also the name of a settlement, please
        let me know) and I don't KNOW that they used river names in locatives
        in medieval France. The fastest thing might be for me to post the
        name to the SCA Heralds list and see what they think; there are
        probably people there who are much more familiar with French than
        myself. Would you like me to?

        Scolastica

        --
        http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

        "I have come to the conclusion that this administration values loyalty
        more than anything else, more than competence or, frankly, more than
        the truth." Rep. Christopher Shays.
      • alexandra
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 19, 2005
          Yes please. Thank you for your help thus far. : ).

          Nadja

          --
          http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

          "I have come to the conclusion that this administration values loyalty
          more than anything else, more than competence or, frankly, more than
          the truth." Rep. Christopher Shays.

          Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

        • Kristine Elliott
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 20, 2005
            On 12/19/05, akashalareine <akashalareine@...> wrote:
            > G'day to all.
            > I have decided to change my name and I've become partial to Ysabel
            > Martine de la Marne. My question I guess is, how period is it? I'm
            > trying to stay in a period 15th century French or earlier (haven't
            > quite pinpointed the exact time yet). Any help is greatly appreciated.
            > YIS
            > Nadja

            You know, I should have asked where you got "de la Marne" from. I
            jumped to the conclusion that it was from the Marne River, but I
            should have asked. Sorry. The next paragraph is written as though that
            conclusion is correct, but feel free to tell me if it isn't.

            Are you interested specifically in being from the Marne river valley
            or is the sound of "de la Marne" more important to you? The reason I
            ask, is that so far as I can tell (which isn't definitive) the French
            didn't do locatives that mean "of the river-name", but I did find a
            place name called La Marne. In Dauzat & Rostaing on p437 I found a
            listing for a town called La Marne in the Department of
            Loire-Atlantique: "Marne (La), Loire-Atl. (de Marnis 1062) : obscur;
            p.-ê. fr. marne." According to
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communes_of_the_Loire-Atlantique_d%C3%A9partement
            , La Marne is a commune in Loire-Atlantique. Someone on SCA Heralds
            suggested that the "de Marnis" citation is probably in Latin, so as my
            best guess "de la Marne" would be correct in French. If you submit it,
            allow changes and they can correct it if necessary. (To the best of my
            knowledge, sticking "de" in front of a modern French place name
            creates a registerable locative byname, but it is better to be safe
            than sorry.)

            Let me know what you think and if you want me to dig around for any
            more information.

            Scolastica