[MODERATOR] Re: Posts about "Waning Sun"

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2005
      Good morning, everyone

      I'm sorry to have to do this, but I am requesting that threads about the
      "Waning Sun" movie please be taken off list. I approved several posts
      about the movie that appear to be from private individuals, but I now have
      strong evidence that at least one of those posting has a commercial interest
      in promoting the movie, and is attempting to generate bogus "grass roots"
      interest in the movie, a tactic that in the advertising industry is known
      as "Astroturfing" (fake grass roots...get it?).

      I have nothing against the movie -- haven't seen it, don't know anyone
      involved -- but this list is not the place to post commercial announcements.
      In any case, modern-world horror genre is off-topic for this list. We tend
      to be fairly lax about the allowed topics, in the interest of creating a
      friendly and somewhat "chatty" list that most of our subscribers seem to
      prefer. This, however, is a horse of a different color, because this is
      straying into the area of commercial promotion, and deceptive commercial
      promotion at that.

      I will not be approving further posts about the Waning Sun movie on this
      list, and I request the other moderators to follow the same practice.
      I can't stop someone whose account is already enabled for posting without
      moderator approval, but if that happens, the account will be reverted to
      requiring moderator approval.

      I apologize to anyone who has posted on this topic who is *not* connected
      with the movie. If you are innocent of this, and you know it, then these
      words are not aimed at you but rather at someone else. I am not going to
      commit the discourtesy of naming the culprit in public here on the list. They
      know who they are. I wish the producers of Waning Sun much success, but there
      are better ways to promote a film than this tactic.

      I regret having to take this strong action, but I have seen this Astroturfing
      happening on other lists to which I subscribe and administer, and there is
      a clear pattern emerging. This is not a commercial list, and unpleasant though
      it may be, it is my duty as moderator to act to protect the list's mission as
      a place for newcomers.

      Thank you for your understanding.

      keys fesswise reversed sable.