Name Question

  • Nicholas de Brion of Dartmoor
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2005
      Does anyone see anything Blatently wrong with the name Nicholas de
      Brion of Dartmoor ??

      Nicholas I can Document as a 1st name as well as de Brion as being
      the Surname of a Sheriff of Devon and the constructor of Okenhampton
      Castle in Devon Eng.
      What about calling my self of Dartmoor??
      My father was the son of said Sheriff and moved to Dartmoor ( the
      next place over...still in the same county.

      I have found little to help with this added place name and how to
      add it to my Documentation for the Colledge of Heralds.

      The time is 1111 AD.

      YIS,

      Lord Nicholas de Brion of Dartmoor
    • Jeremy Slick
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2005
        The only thing I can see that might give you grief is having "de Brion" and "of Dartmoor" both in the same name element (aka: as surnames). Mixing languages in a surname doesn't fly with the SCA College of Arms; if you can find the English version of "de Brion" or the (I'm assuming) French version of "of Dartmoor"...then you would be OK.

        Additionally, I've never seen TWO types of surnames used in conjunction with each...at least not within the context of what I have access to for heraldic resources (and that's including St. Gabriel's, Master Modar, and numerous heraldic archives).

        Until the next time,
        Giudo di Niccolo

        Nicholas de Brion of Dartmoor <clawriver@...> wrote: Does anyone see anything Blatently wrong with the name Nicholas de Brion of Dartmoor ??

      • Sydney Walker Freedman
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2005
          be safe, you could just pick which byname you want. In other words, use
          either de Brion or of Dartmoor by itself.

          > The only thing I can see that might give you grief is having "de
          > Brion" and "of Dartmoor" both in the same name element
          > (aka: as surnames). Mixing languages in a surname doesn't fly with the
          > SCA College of Arms; if you can find the English version of "de
          > Brion" or the (I'm assuming) French version of "of
          > Dartmoor"...then you would be OK.
          >
          > Additionally, I've never seen TWO types of surnames used in conjunction
          > with each...at least not within the context of what I have access to
          > for heraldic resources (and that's including St. Gabriel's, Master
          > Modar, and numerous heraldic archives).
          >
          > Until the next time,
          > Giudo di Niccolo
          >

          > Nicholas de Brion of Dartmoor wrote: Does anyone see
          > anything Blatently wrong with the name Nicholas de Brion of Dartmoor ??

          Pax Christi,
          Sydney
        • Kristine Elliott
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 7, 2005
            On 12/6/05, Jeremy Slick <purplellamaboi@...> wrote:
            > The only thing I can see that might give you grief is having "de Brion"
            > and "of Dartmoor" both in the same name element (aka: as surnames). Mixing
            > languages in a surname doesn't fly with the SCA College of Arms; if you can
            > find the English version of "de Brion" or the (I'm assuming) French version
            > of "of Dartmoor"...then you would be OK.
            >
            > Additionally, I've never seen TWO types of surnames used in conjunction
            > with each...at least not within the context of what I have access to for
            > heraldic resources (and that's including St. Gabriel's, Master Modar, and
            > numerous heraldic archives).
            >
            > Until the next time,
            > Giudo di Niccolo
            >

            > Nicholas de Brion of Dartmoor <clawriver@...> wrote: Does
            > anyone see anything Blatently wrong with the name Nicholas de Brion of
            > Dartmoor ??

            You CAN combine English and French in your name if you are doing an
            essentially Middle English name. The reason is that English and French
            were both spoken in England after the Norman Conquest. By Chaucer's
            time, of course, the tide was turning inexorably toward English, but
            between 1066 and the sometime in the 14th century they were the two
            dominant vernacular languages in England.

            I'd be interested in more information about the byname "de Brion". I
            am not doubting your word, but it is rather odd from an onomastic
            point of view. Brian is a given name with two sources in England:
            Irish and Breton. Reaney and Wilson do not list Brian or Brion as an
            English place name (or indeed a place name in any language). That
            isn't definitive, though; I need to remember to make a more thorough
            search in my sources at home. I do remember that there was a pattern
            in France where "de <given name>" was a patronymic pattern, which I
            think is period but would have to check. I'd like to identify the type
            of the byname and knowing your source might help me do so, and give
            you the most informative answer.

            The other thing I would like to do is check the period spelling of
            Dartmoor. My best sources for that is at home, alas.

            Two bynames in Middle English is rare but doable. In my article
            "Patterns in Middle English Names with Multiple Bynames" in the Known
            World Heraldic and Scribal Symposium, Proceedings: 2004 I analyzed 800
            examples of multiple bynames for pattern. Of these 800 names, 15.6%
            had two locatives. In approximately 1/3 of these, the second locative
            phrase was "of London" which I speculate MAY be an indication of
            London citizenship (not synonymous with residence in London). Of the
            rest, many of them examples seem composed of locatives of two
            different types, one of which is a named place and the other a more
            local byname, like Adam atte Ponde de Alvesbourne, where "atte Ponde"
            indicates residence near a pond while Alvesbourne is a named place.
            Henry de Suleby of Fletestrete contains a reference to a place outside
            London (Suleby) as well as where his residence was IN London –
            Fletestrete. William de Hesil of Holborn looks to be identical in
            pattern, though I am not sure whether Holborn was a part of London in
            the 14th century or not … it certainly is in central London today.

            Here are the examples I included in the paper:

            Peter de Herlyngge of London, 1340, Ekwall, SPML p. 59
            Henry de Waperlond de Wentebrigge, 1342-3, Ekwall, SPML p. 294
            Adam atte Ponde de Alvesbourne, 1311, Ekwall, SPML p. 1
            William de Hesil of Holborn, 1346-7, Ekwall, SPML, p. 284
            Richard de Coventre de Berewyk, 1346, Ekwall, SPML p. 214
            Henry de Suleby of Fletestrete, 1324-5, Ekwall, SPML p. 274

            The source for these examples was Eilert Ekwall's Studies of the
            Population of Medieval London (Stockholm: Almqvist & Wiksell, 1956).
            In this book, Ekwall was attempting to study immigration into London
            by analyzing the locative bynames people in the records had.

            If anyone wants to see a copy of the article in pdf format, please let
            me know off list.

            Sorry to have been so longwinded. This is a complicated subject.

            Scolastica la souriete
            (formerly Cateline la souriete)

            --
            http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

            "I have come to the conclusion that this administration values loyalty
            more than anything else, more than competence or, frankly, more than
            the truth." Rep. Christopher Shays.
          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 7, 2005
              On Wednesday 07 December 2005 09:01, Kristine Elliott wrote:
              > Sorry to have been so longwinded. This is a complicated subject.

              Don't apologize...that was a very interesting read, and quite on-topic
              to the original question. :-)

              Justin
              List Moderator

              keys fesswise reversed sable.

            • Nicholas de Brion of Dartmoor
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 7, 2005
                I found in the Doomsday Book a Baron Baldwin de Brion, Sheriff of
                Devon. One who was with William the Conquror at Hastings, and gifted
                lands and constructed the Castle of Okehampton.

                The persona tale is that my Father was a 3rd or 4th son of this
                noble ( of whom little else is noted, other than some fancy, gifted
                titles ).
                My father recieving very little or no inheritance or aid from his
                father moved into the Moors near the river Dart to raise sheep and
                live a humble Christian life. I was Born around Nov. 5 1080.

                So the French infulence in Norman England is GREAT...Since all the
                Titled Landholders and Minor Nobles were William's Men by then.

                A Grandfather who is VERY dedicated to his Norman King, Would raise
                his sons in loyalty and in thier French Traditons....and possibly
                thier sons as well.

                Anyway I am Very Greatful for the ttime and effort of those learned
                ppls who are helping me. THANK YOU.

                This has been VERY interesting and actually more helpful than my
                own Baronial Yahoo Group.

                YIS,

                Nicholas
              • Kristine Elliott
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 7, 2005
                  OK, taking a look at http://www.domesdaybook.co.uk/landownersm-o.html , it
                  appears that Brion is a placename in France. So, Nicholas de Brion of
                  Dartmoor definitely looks like it is a valid pattern of a given name with a
                  double locative. I need to see what the early 12th century form of Dartmoor
                  is and I would like to find, if possible a dated citation for Baldwin de
                  Brion. The problem with everything I have seen on the 'net is that the names
                  look regularized; I want to see what the name in the original document looks
                  like.

                  The problem with regularizing names is that in the process the name can get
                  pretty far away from a period form. My usual example is Joan of Arc. That is
                  the usual way of doing her name in English. In modern French texts, her name
                  is usually written as Jeanne d'Arc. In the texts I have look at that are
                  contemporary with her, her name is often written as Jehanne la Pucelle. A
                  document "signed" by her is signed "Jehanne" {I believe she was illiterate
                  but had a secretary}. I would expect to see Baldwinus de Brion at the very
                  least in a Latin document like the Domesday book, and would like to verify
                  that it WAS written "de Brion" in the 11th century if I can.

                  I'll let you know tomorrow.

                  Yours in service,

                  Scolastica

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 7, 2005
                    A great source for period spellings of English surnames is, "A Dictionary
                    of English Surnames. All I can remember at the moment is the title.
                    Sorry!

                    Pax Christi,
                    Cecilia de Cambrige

                    Pax Christi,
                    Sydney
                  • Kristine Elliott
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                      On 12/7/05, Nicholas de Brion of Dartmoor <clawriver@...> wrote:

                      > I found in the Doomsday Book a Baron Baldwin de Brion, Sheriff of
                      > Devon. One who was with William the Conquror at Hastings, and gifted
                      > lands and constructed the Castle of Okehampton.
                      >
                      > The persona tale is that my Father was a 3rd or 4th son of this
                      > noble ( of whom little else is noted, other than some fancy, gifted
                      > titles ).
                      > My father recieving very little or no inheritance or aid from his
                      > father moved into the Moors near the river Dart to raise sheep and
                      > live a humble Christian life. I was Born around Nov. 5 1080.
                      >
                      > So the French infulence in Norman England is GREAT...Since all the
                      > Titled Landholders and Minor Nobles were William's Men by then.
                      >
                      > A Grandfather who is VERY dedicated to his Norman King, Would raise
                      > his sons in loyalty and in thier French Traditons....and possibly
                      > thier sons as well.
                      >

                      > Anyway I am Very Greatful for the ttime and effort of those learned
                      > ppls who are helping me. THANK YOU.
                      >
                      > This has been VERY interesting and actually more helpful than my
                      > own Baronial Yahoo Group.
                      >
                      > YIS,
                      >
                      > Nicholas

                      Here's the documentation in the sources I could find at home:

                      Withycombe p. 227 under Nicholas dates Nicolaus to 1086 and 1186-1220 and
                      Nicholas to 1273.
                      Reaney & Wilson p 322 date Nicolaus to 1086, Nicholaus to 1147-66, and
                      Nicolus to the reign of Henry II.

                      Dauzat and Rostaing p. 117 under Brion lists a number of places with that
                      name. Brion in Isère. has the spelling Brion dated to the thirteenth
                      century. Brion in D-Sèvres. has the spelling Brion dated to the 1120.

                      Ekwall p. 139 under Dart is Dartmoor with the citation "Dertemora" dated to
                      1182.
                      Watts p. 179 under Dartmoor dates Dertemora, -e to 1181 -1359.

                      Withycombe, E.G. Oxford Dictionary of Christian Names. Oxford University
                      Press: New York, 1977.
                      Reaney, P.H. and R. M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. Routledge &
                      Kegan Paul: New York, 1991.
                      Dauzat, Albert and Rostaign. Dictionnaire Étymologique des Noms de Lieux de
                      la France. Paris, 1963.
                      Watts, Victor. _The Cambridge Dictionary of English Place-Names_. Cambridge
                      University Press, 2004.

                      Documentation for two locative bynames:

                      "Patterns of Middle English Names with Multiple Bynames" (Cateline la
                      souriete, KWHS 2004, pg. 93) finds double locatives to be the second most
                      common type among names with multiple bynames. The table of examples has
                      five 14th C names of this type.

                      Of the above sources, everything but Watts is on the "no photocopy" list
                      (found at http://sca.org/heraldry/laurel/admin.html#APPENDIX_H ). If you
                      want copies of Watts, I can email you scans next week, just let me know.

                      The examples of double locatives I cited in my papers are 14th century, but
                      if you want, I can go back to my data and see if I can dig up earlier
                      instances; there probably are some, but I haven't looked at the database in
                      nearly two years. If you want to cite the earlier instances in your
                      documentation, I will need to make scans of my sources for you.

                      Nicholas, thanks for expanding my knowledge of French place names. I had no
                      idea that there were multiple places called Brion in France. Let me know if
                      you want me to do any additional digging or get you any scans of Watts.

                      Yours in service,

                      Scolastica

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                        OK, for a stick jock I'm pretty on the button. But please let me
                        know if I'm understanding.

                        From the Reasearch ( and I thank you SO much ) I should be called:

                        Nicolaus Brion (as a Surname?) de Dertemora (locative?)?

                        This with Documentation, ya think the CoH might but this?

                        I hope so, I do LOVE the sound of it.

                        THANK YOU!

                        YIS,

                        Nicolaus
                      • Kristine Elliott
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                          On 12/8/05, Nicholas de Brion of Dartmoor <clawriver@...> wrote:

                          > OK, for a stick jock I'm pretty on the button. But please let me
                          > know if I'm understanding.
                          >
                          > From the Reasearch ( and I thank you SO much ) I should be called:
                          >
                          > Nicolaus Brion (as a Surname?) de Dertemora (locative?)?
                          >
                          > This with Documentation, ya think the CoH might but this?
                          >
                          > I hope so, I do LOVE the sound of it.
                          >
                          > THANK YOU!
                          >
                          > YIS,
                          >
                          > Nicolaus

                          Glad to be of service.

                          Nicolaus Brion de Dertemora OR Nicolaus de Brion de Dertemora OR
                          Nicolaus de Brion of Dertemora or Nicolaus Brion of Dertemora are all
                          fine and should be registerable. I wasn't sure if you would LIKE any
                          of the 11th century spellings, which is why I included documentation
                          for a variety of spellings I could find for Nicholas, including the
                          one you have been using.

                          "Brion" or "De Brion" is still a locative -- in your name it is an
                          inherited locative, apparently on its way to becoming an inherited
                          surname. This was happening at different times and with different
                          families in England from the 11th century to the 16th, usually started
                          at the highest levels and filtering down the later socially. By the
                          16th century, we see a few peasants in isolated areas without
                          inherited surnames, but that was EXTREMELY rare by that time.

                          If you have any more questions, please let me know. I was glad to be
                          of service. I LOVE doing name research.

                          Scolastica

                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 15, 2005
                            :) ok... ;) 1 'Last' question/favor.

                            Can I get something to use as a reference for the dual Locative on
                            my Name Submission Form.

                            Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

                            You are the BEST.

                            If you are attending Pennsic War 35, You are SO invited to Dinner.
                            We sear mass quantities of mammal flesh, roast tubers, and eat LOTS
                            of fruit and chocolate fondue.
                            We are a Family Encampment in N19.

                            Your Humbul Servant,

                            Lord Nicolaus Brion de Dertemora