A whole bunch of Newbies!

  • Melissa
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 24, 2005
      Hello all!

      Well I joined this group a few weeks back but was so busy sewing
      garb for my first event (Castle Wars) that i didn't have time to
      post my hello. So here goes....

      My name is Melissa. Have not picked a persona yet. I joined with
      my husband Curt (wants to be some sort of corsair or privateer and
      French), and my 5 Daughters. Thier ages are 14, 11, 7, 3, 3months.
      So needless to say my sewing machine hates me. Garb for everyone.
      Thank the heavens I am a wiz with the machine. I can sew just about
      anything. We are currently in the Kindom of Trimarus, Shire of
      Castlemire. However with my husband in the Navy we are moving. In
      a little over a month we will be transfered to the Kindom of
      Atlantia, the Barony of Marinus. I will miss the friends i have
      made here in Castlemire. But we will most likely travel to the big
      events.

      My husband has embraced the SCA with a vengence. He wants a closet
      full of garb. He wants to make a period tent. It's wonderful. I
      have been interested in the SCA for years but never made that leap.
      And now that we have he has gone into the deep end. I couldn't be
      happier. Like i said i am a wiz with thew sewing machine. And even
      if it isn't totally "period" to have trim and garb sewn by machine,
      with five kids i hold the 10 feet rule. ~giggles~ I have been
      thinking about acutally becoming a merchant of garb. I love to sew
      that much.

      So anyway. I have rambled and rambled. Hope to meet some of you
      at events. And to the others.... HIYA!

      Melissa and crew.
    • Genisis
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 25, 2005
        Melissa,
        I know exactly where youre going to be and I know people there too.
        Thats where my husband and I are moving in June. :-) I have a little
        son whos 9 months at the moment, I've been stocking up on garb since
        the day he was born. ;-) Were bringing four other families into the
        SCA with us when we get back so it should be lots of fun. What kind
        of persona were you thinking about doing? Were a performance family,
        my husbands a bard and I'm a dancer, so if any of your clan would
        like to get into that kind of thing we could probably help you out in
        that area. :-) Its neat to meet someone on the list that we'll be
        living so close to.

        Yours,
        Gen

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa" <curtnmissy@c...>
        wrote:

        > Hello all!
        >
        > Well I joined this group a few weeks back but was so busy sewing
        > garb for my first event (Castle Wars) that i didn't have time to
        > post my hello. So here goes....
        >
        > My name is Melissa. Have not picked a persona yet. I joined with
        > my husband Curt (wants to be some sort of corsair or privateer and
        > French), and my 5 Daughters. Thier ages are 14, 11, 7, 3,
        3months.
        > So needless to say my sewing machine hates me. Garb for everyone.
        > Thank the heavens I am a wiz with the machine. I can sew just
        about
        > anything. We are currently in the Kindom of Trimarus, Shire of
        > Castlemire. However with my husband in the Navy we are moving. In
        > a little over a month we will be transfered to the Kindom of
        > Atlantia, the Barony of Marinus. I will miss the friends i have
        > made here in Castlemire. But we will most likely travel to the big
        > events.
        >
        > My husband has embraced the SCA with a vengence. He wants a closet
        > full of garb. He wants to make a period tent. It's wonderful. I
        > have been interested in the SCA for years but never made that
        leap.
        > And now that we have he has gone into the deep end. I couldn't be
        > happier. Like i said i am a wiz with thew sewing machine. And
        even
        > if it isn't totally "period" to have trim and garb sewn by machine,
        > with five kids i hold the 10 feet rule. ~giggles~ I have been
        > thinking about acutally becoming a merchant of garb. I love to sew
        > that much.
        >
        > So anyway. I have rambled and rambled. Hope to meet some of you
        > at events. And to the others.... HIYA!
        >
        > Melissa and crew.

      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 25, 2005
          On Thursday 24 November 2005 08:43, Melissa wrote:
          > He wants to make a period tent.

          If you don't have someone locally to advise you on this, feel free to post
          to this list. THL Milica (my wife) and I are both on-list, and we have made
          a pavilion and several yurts over the years.

          Welcome to the list!

          Justin
          Moderator

          keys fesswise reversed sable.

        • Crystal ortiz
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 28, 2005
            WELCOME to Trimaris!

            I do so hope and pray that you will love our kingdom as much as I do. The people here are top rate. Friendly, more than willing to teach and answer any questions you have. I am sure that you have contacted your local shire but if you feel uncomfortable asking questions, please feel free to ask us here on the list or contact me privately. Many of the other people on this list will attest to the fact that I don't bite...(hard) and will do my very best to help with garb questions, producure...whatever.

            Anywho, Cheers!

            Gigi

            Melissa <curtnmissy@...> wrote:
[...]

            Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

            ---------------------------------

          • Melissa
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 28, 2005
              I can't thank each of you enough for making us feel welcome! We
              will be up in The Barony of Marinus (sp?) just before Christmas. So
              I guess we will wait until after the first of the year to go to any
              meetings. I doubt there will be meetings durring the holidays. I
              am so excited that my husband is taking this on like he is. He had
              drawn up plans for a tent. He wants to do a pavilion tent. I will
              make a photo album and upload them when i scan them in and make a
              totally new post regarding the tent. I welcome what ever help we
              can get. I am still trying to find out what i want to do as far as
              my persona. He has narrowed his down to a Frenchman who was put on
              a boat at a young age and since then learned the ways of the sea and
              the joys of Privateering. I like this idea a lot because he can
              bring me things from all regions and i am not restricted to one
              single area. I was leaning toward Ireland. I recently found out it
              is part of my herritage. But my skill that i bring to the SCA is
              Ukrane. (I do Pysanky) So any ideas how to incorporate that into
              my Irish persona? And names.... oh gods i have no idea on a name.

              Man i just ramble on and on don't i? ~giggles~

              I welcome all critisism and help. SCAdians really are the best
              people in any time frame!!!

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Crystal ortiz
              <impressionist101@y...> wrote:

              > WELCOME to Trimaris!
              >
              > I do so hope and pray that you will love our kingdom as much as
              I do. The people here are top rate. Friendly, more than willing to
              teach and answer any questions you have. I am sure that you have
              contacted your local shire but if you feel uncomfortable asking
              questions, please feel free to ask us here on the list or contact me
              privately. Many of the other people on this list will attest to the
              fact that I don't bite...(hard) and will do my very best to help
              with garb questions, producure...whatever.

              > Anywho, Cheers!
              >
              > Gigi
              >
              > Melissa <curtnmissy@c...> wrote:
              > Hello all!
              >
              > Well I joined this group a few weeks back but was so busy sewing
              > garb for my first event (Castle Wars) that i didn't have time to
              > post my hello. So here goes....
              >
              > My name is Melissa. Have not picked a persona yet. I joined with
              > my husband Curt (wants to be some sort of corsair or privateer and
              > French), and my 5 Daughters. Thier ages are 14, 11, 7, 3,
              3months.
              > So needless to say my sewing machine hates me. Garb for
              everyone.
              > Thank the heavens I am a wiz with the machine. I can sew just
              about
              > anything. We are currently in the Kindom of Trimarus, Shire of
              > Castlemire. However with my husband in the Navy we are moving.
              In
              > a little over a month we will be transfered to the Kindom of
              > Atlantia, the Barony of Marinus. I will miss the friends i have
              > made here in Castlemire. But we will most likely travel to the
              big
              > events.
              >
              > My husband has embraced the SCA with a vengence. He wants a
              closet
              > full of garb. He wants to make a period tent. It's wonderful. I
              > have been interested in the SCA for years but never made that
              leap.
              > And now that we have he has gone into the deep end. I couldn't be
              > happier. Like i said i am a wiz with thew sewing machine. And
              even
              > if it isn't totally "period" to have trim and garb sewn by
              machine,
              > with five kids i hold the 10 feet rule. ~giggles~ I have been
              > thinking about acutally becoming a merchant of garb. I love to
              sew
              > that much.
              >
              > So anyway. I have rambled and rambled. Hope to meet some of you
              > at events. And to the others.... HIYA!
              >
              > Melissa and crew.

              > Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative
              anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------

            • Crystal
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 28, 2005
                Greetings,

                The first stop is the Academy of St. Gabriels pages. They are a
                historical heraldry group with ties to the SCA and other reenacment
                groups. Here is a link to their iberian names archive http://www.s-
                gabriel.org/names/iberian.shtml. You should find a good start there.
                Another way though a bit more time consuming is just picking up a few
                books for reference (no romance novels, hehehehe) and making note of
                the time period and era plus area and region.

                - Hope that helps

                Gigi