Re: [SCA Newcomers] Boffer.

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 20, 2005
      I don't know about you all, but I've been hit pretty
      hard by a boffer before. Even groups that focus on
      boffer fighting rather than heavy combat have rules
      and regulations for their construction and use. They
      are no more a toy than the rattan sticks heavy
      fighters use. People can still get hurt. (have you
      ever been smacked by a funnoodle...just because it's
      foam doesn't mean it won't hurt.)

      I can imagine that if you pull out boffers at an event
      (whether a kingdom has rules about it or not) and
      start fighting, there's a decent possibility that a
      member of event staff (steward, security, etc.) may
      tell you to put them away due to safety issues. There
      are all kinds of issues with people having random
      unregulated combats. The biggest of these has to do
      with the insurance policies that cover these events.
      For instance, say someone gets hurt in an unautorized
      martial activity (and therefor not covered by the
      insurance), well, that brings on a whole pile of legal
      issues and other messes.

      If this is something that you really want to do, it
      would probably be a good idea to check with the event
      staff and as Justin said, the marshallate before just
      starting an impromptu battle (or even playing
      around)at an official event.

      Sorry if I sound like a party pooper here, I'm just
      trying to give you the perspective of those hosting
      the events and the things they have to consider. My
      friends and I do use boffers at each other's houses.
      They can be fun and very helpful in training, but you
      can also get hurt pretty badly (seen fingers jammed
      and broke and just as many bruises as the heavy
      fighters get) if they aren't used correctly.

      I hope you find this perspective helpful.
      In service,
      Isabel

      http://mail.yahoo.com